Pigeon control...

mowin

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

.22 shot shells would work and would not punch through the roof...The limiting factor might be the range..They are effective to perhaps 20 feet..  BTW, unless you happen to have a smoothbore .22, shotshells tend to pattern better from a handgun than a rifle.. Sounds strange, but  I get better patterns from my 6" bbl revolver than any of my rifles..It may be because in a longer barrel, the rifling whips the shot around more, blowing the pattern...Just a theory...Be sure to wear your safety goggles if you shoot them inside a building...I have never  been hit by a ricocheting shot pellet, but it is a distinct possibility...

I would definitely wear safety glasses.  I'll take a ride over there in a day or two and see where they are roosting.  The cupolas are probably 30' if not a little more. 

I have been hunting pigeons quite seriously the last 5 years. My best advice is buy at least one Mojo Pigeon decoy and a few silhouette decoys. At first light set up in a nearby cut corn or other crop field and have some fun. Pigeons decoy exceptionally well. This photo was from a wheat field shoot this summer. We run 4 mojos, 12 bag decoys, 12 hard shell decoys, 2 pole bounce flyers and 8 mojo flock a flicks. We had several 250+ bird shoots this summer.

There is no season and no limit on pigeon.

Pigeons 2020.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mowin said:

I would definitely wear safety glasses.  I'll take a ride over there in a day or two and see where they are roosting.  The cupolas are probably 30' if not a little more. 

Might be a possibility..I get clean kills on chipmunks with my 6" S&W K22  at 20 feet or maybe a little more..

Sounds like you have lots of ammo...Just might have to shoot them 2 or 3 times...That dust shot in the .22 shotshells may not penetrate the breast feathers too well, but if you concentrate  your aim on the head and neck they should work...

Sounds like fun..Wish I was coming with you...

BTW, they are very good eating and easy to clean..Just open the skin on the breast, peel it back, and cut the breast loose from the carcass..Takes about 30 seconds per bird...Layer them in the crockpot, along with sliced onions, salt & pepper or whatever seasonings float your boat...Pour in a couple of inches of dry red wine and cook on low until fork tender , perhaps 8 hours...Good stuff...Every time I eat them I wonder why I don't hunt them more often...

• Like 1