Set near someone else’s stand

Zag

Ok guys, I have another spot I haven’t hunted in a couple yrs. Great spot with some pretty strong bucks. My 12yr old wants to hunt this spot, it’s 7.5 acres. The problem is the neighbor (farm) let’s a bunch of people hunt it and they don’t own a lot of woods mostly fields and hedgerows. Anyways someone has a stand just off our property line along our hedgerow and a finger hedgerow on the farm. I don’t have many locations except near his spot and further up a little ways as it’s perfect for the wind! Since my son and I would be hunting together we have to be in the same stand or really close (2 stands then).I don’t wanna be that guy that sets up on top of someone but at the same time he’s hunting the edge of our land. Attached is a pic.

Green line - prop lines

Yellow line - deer runs

Yellow dot - neighbors stand

Red dot - 2 of my stand locations.

thoughts?

5C703408-C733-48FC-BD4A-BDB2EBFEA0C2.jpeg

That is a situation, that I can relate to.  I owned a similar sized piece, in a good area, for about 10 years.  It was about 1/2 way between my farm and my folks, so having the three spots gave me lots of options.   

Everything went well, until the year following a year when I was able to take two good bucks off that center spot (one on opening day of bow and the other on opening day of gun).

It was narrow, and really only had one good stand location.  The next year, two different neighbors put up stands less than 50 yards from my hot spot, right on the property lines. 

That was the end of the good hunting there.  I ended up selling it and using the cash to buy a new tractor and make improvements on my other spots.  I don't know another way out of such a predicament.

I mainly just hunt the weekends, and my folks place is spread out enough to hunt twice per weekend.  Now, I usually just hunt three of four mornings/afternoons per weekend.  By improving my other spots, my overall deer production has gone up, I have more free time, and pay less property taxes. 

Sometimes, what you think is a problem, is really an opportunity.  

We ran into this problem when we started leasing a new piece 3 years ago. We have a secluded 9 acre rotating ag field on the lease and after a few scouting tips placed a stand in a location that we felt was perfect for the wind and deer travel. Well a few weeks into bow season my buddy has an encounter with a neighbor sitting in our newly set stand facing into our ag field. The guy says it's on his proerty so he can sit there and that all the deer travel from our property to his property his and he has hunted like this forever. We kindly informed him that his hunting style is now over and if we even see him facing our field that the deer better be fully on his property before he shoots it. We even told him we would allow him to recover it on our property but he better call us first or that will be the last time he sets foot on our side. We made surprise sits in that back field the first two years and made sure to post a guy back their every opening day and that has put an end to any of that neighbors old habits.

Long story short looks like he is on his side and has to shoot on his property and you will be on your side shooting your way. The stands may be close but each guy will be on their own property.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I’d love to setup on the other side but I have limited options for trees and unless I get east winds it’s really no good. I feel like that’s a risk you take hanging a stand right next to the line. I’ll probably set my son up there and me a little further down and it is what it is I guess. I grew up in the town and I may know who's stand that is.

I looks like to me that he's probably waiting for the deer to enter his property/field. Hunter might assume no one is hunting that small parcel.  

I don't like being that guy either, but if that's my main hunting area or my easiest to get my son on a deer, I'm hunting it. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mowin said:

I looks like to me that he's probably waiting for the deer to enter his property/field. Hunter might assume no one is hunting that small parcel.  

I don't like being that guy either, but if that's my main hunting area or my easiest to get my son on a deer, I'm hunting it. 

Thanks, I have hunted it a few yrs but hadn’t the last two. Seemed like the more options I had the harder it was for me to decide where to go. We probably won’t go there much so I’ll try not to worry about it. It’s a really good morning spot during the rut!

• Like 1

If you can hunt it hunt it.  The one piece of private I hunt is like that.  Can't go in all the way because I'll jump the deer so I hunt the outskirts of it.  I talked to the property owner that borders it and he said just dont face his property but dont bother him with s recovery just go get it.  If anything just talk to the person.  

• Like 1

We had a similar issue where a neighbor allowed someone else to hunt his property and that someone else put a ladder right on the border near a stand we had up for years. We spoke to our neighbor who told the guy not to post on boundaries knowing we hunt our side. The hunter was asked to leave and we inherited a new ladder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, crappyice said:

We had a similar issue where a neighbor allowed someone else to hunt his property and that someone else put a ladder right on the border near a stand we had up for years. We spoke to our neighbor who told the guy not to post on boundaries knowing we hunt our side. The hunter was asked to leave and we inherited a new ladder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bully 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Small properties and hedgerow hunting favor competition for prime locations. We have stands near boundaries, but have never, ever shot over the line. We've let some nice bucks walk, too. I like to think that the same is true for our neighbors. Thus far, there have been no issues, and I've never had to alter plans because I've found a neighbor in a stand near mine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knehrke said:

Small properties and hedgerow hunting favor competition for prime locations. We have stands near boundaries, but have never, ever shot over the line. We've let some nice bucks walk, too. I like to think that the same is true for our neighbors. Thus far, there have been no issues, and I've never had to alter plans because I've found a neighbor in a stand near mine. 

I do the same.  I had to eat my gun season buck tag a couple years ago because I did not shoot a young buck that was about 10 feet onto "the prick's" field.  It was the last Saturday of the season, so a definite "shooter" for me at that point.  Those paper tags provide very little nourishment. 

It would have been a standing, broadside, 50 yard, chip shot for my scoped, 16 gage, Ithaca model 37 slug gun.  The neighbor was gone away that weekend, but he surely would have learned of the misdeed, as it would have been nearly impossible for me to hide all the blood evidence in the snow. 

I can't say that I did not contemplate it.  In the end, it turned out ok and I am glad that I held off.  I ended up getting a big doe at home the next day, so starvation or store bought chicken was averted that winter.  Best of all, is that we are still on good terms with that neighbor.  My folks let him tap their maples and he brought us over some damn good syrup this spring.

Many people think the property line , is the edge of the woods or hedgerow . I have many old wire fences 10-15 inside the woods , that because woods are ever expanding . This is one reason , “ hunting the line “ can be tricky with out surveys. 

6 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Novel idea, I know. But maybe try communicating with them and a mutual understanding can be established, or at the very least head off any difficulties before they happen.

I was going to comment before Trial posted but I agree with him. I don't know your relationship with your neighbor but it may be time to stop by their place and get reacquainted. You could let them know you're back hunting the 7.5a and your son is now hunting with you. I've always tried to clarify line hunting with the property owner first then go from there. I've had mixed success in situations like your's but I don't think you can go wrong with some proactive hunting diplomacy before you hunt there. Keep your son in the loop. Might be some valuable life lessons in there for him. Keep us updated, stay positive and good luck!

• Like 1

This reminds me ,I have to put up more posted signs at one spot . A guy on the neighboring land ( where they let anyone hunt ) has a stand facing our field ,and trees trimmed  so he can shoot into our Timothy field .

• Like 1

Go talk to him. I have a very similar situation where a neighbor and his son have large wooden box stands on the line, facing into our side. The guy stopped me on my ATV with a gun in his hand the summer we leased it and flat out told me he was doing what he wanted and I wasn't going to stop him.  I was firm with him, but non confrontational. We don't get along and I have video of him and his family on our side over the last few months.

He posted every other tree along his side last week. I'm not sure exactly why, other to make a point I guess.  I was thinking of hanging large blue tarps across the trees 5 feet in front of his stands just to mess with him!  But, instead,  I think i'm just going to stop there this Saturday and talk with him. It's not worth having problems with the neighbors if it can be avoided.  In my case, I don't live there so I have no real control anyway. I say go talk to him, my biggest concern would be that he is aware that you and your kid are there and not to shoot in that direction.

1 hour ago, Trial153 said:

Novel idea, I know. But maybe try communicating with them and a mutual understanding can be established, or at the very least head off any difficulties before they happen.

Great idea.  Minimally you could agree to at least let each other know if you are hitting that stand so you aren't stacked.