Decreased acorn production?

Whereareyoubuck

I just heard on TV that this year oak trees aren't producing as many acorns. Would that help explain why I've been seeing a SIGNIFICANT decrease in deer activity? This time in previous years I had been seeing multiple big bucks in the stand as well as on the cameras, but this year I've barely seen anything so far. So frustrating. 

Lots and lots of acorns in the hills of Albany county this year. But production from individual trees can vary greatly from property to property. 

There could also be a different food source, the deer are now hitting in your area? That may have changed the deer patterns?

If you have the doe's, the bucks will soon be there.

Edited by grampy

41 minutes ago, grampy said:

Lots and lots of acorns in the hills of Albany county this year. But production from individual trees can vary greatly from property to property. 

There could also be a different food source, the deer are now hitting in your area? That may have changed the deer patterns?

If you have the doe's, the bucks will soon be there.

There have definitely been a lot of changes...someone bought the 30 acres to my east and cleared out about half of the deer bedding area, and someone else bought 50 acres to my south and set up a few large tents where their kids run around, and then my neighbor cleared out 9 acres to my north where the doe used to come through every single evening. 

I had a beautiful 6 pointer on opening day within 15 yards of me...passed on him and haven't seen him since, and barely seen any doe since then either. 

Edited by Whereareyoubuck

20 minutes ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

There has definitely been a lot of changes...someone bought the 30 acres to my east and cleared out about half of the deer bedding area, and someone else bought 50 acres to my south and set up a few large tents where their kids run around, and then my neighbor cleared out 9 acres to my north where the doe used to come through every single evening. 

I had a beautiful 6 pointer on opening day within 15 yards of me...passed on him and haven't seen him since, and barely seen any doe since then either. 

With all the new changes, it's easy to see that the deer have shifted their movement patterns on your property. Perhaps they are still using it, but in different places than you are used to seeing them? You may need to scout a bit to find the new travel areas, and move stands accordingly. But I'd be very surprised if they have abandoned your property totally. They have only adjusted to the changes. They are there somewhere. Once YOU adjust, you'll be fine! 

Good luck!!

6 minutes ago, grampy said:

With all the new changes, it's easy to see that the deer have shifted their movement patterns on your property. Perhaps they are still using it, but in different places than you are used to seeing them? You may need to scout a bit to find the new travel areas, and move stands accordingly. But I'd be very surprised if they have abandoned your property totally. They have only adjusted to the changes. They are there somewhere. Once YOU adjust, you'll be fine! 

Good luck!!

Thanks! Yeah I'm hoping during peak rut they'll be wandering through more often! 

On my main piece I hunt, there is prob less than 6 oaks, so I never have to worry about mast. The beech and hickory's always seem to drop and the squirrels do a good enough job of beating the deer to most of them. We are lucky enough to have ag every year to keep the deer fat and happy. As far as if the acorns are dropping, I haven't noticed.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, crappyice said:

Acorns are nonexistent in SE/3S area according to three properties I hunt and numerous other reports from locals on other properties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. Everyone i speak to in 3N and 3S has said zero acorns and way less deer seen in person & on camera. EHD may be factor too, but definitely the worst acorn year I can ever remember.

also, the deer look normal size fat wise so they are eating something else for sure. leafy greens i guess?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

+1. Everyone i speak to in 3N and 3S has said zero acorns and way less deer seen in person & on camera. EHD may be factor too, but definitely the worst acorn year I can ever remember.

also, the deer look normal size fat wise so they are eating something else for sure. leafy greens i guess?

Yeah I'm in 3J

• Like 1

I’ve scouted areas of 3N , 3M and 3J. Seems like they’re very spotty, in all the areas I’ve checked, mostly reds. when you find them, the deer are hitting them hard. I don’t see enough on the ground to last them the winter, though

Edited by Yorehntr

30 minutes ago, Yorehntr said:

I’ve scouted areas of 3N , 3M and 3J. Seems like they’re very spotty, in all the areas I’ve checked, mostly reds. when you find them, the deer are hitting them hard. I don’t see enough on the ground to last them the winter, though

Hmm ok so I have to look for red oak trees?

Edited by Whereareyoubuck

Individual Oak trees go thru cycles of mast production based on many factors, including genetics. That said, it’s been very dry in many parts of the state and that’s a big factor in mast production. Not so much here in 8H where production seems pretty normal. The doe like acorns and the bucks like doe. Hunt the doe to get the buck!