A New Prime 60 Acre Hunting Property!

grampy

Congrats on scoring a great new hunting area, Dave  !!

I  gratefully accept your invitation to hunt here with you....Due to the fact that I no longer have a bow, I'll have to bring a rifle,  but don't worry...I'll bring the one with the silencer so nobody will know the difference !!....

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

More hunting acreage is always a plus !  I'm assuming that's area 4J ?   No crossbow's correct ?

Yes 4J. No firearms, or crossbow hunting allowed. And that's just fine with me. It's what makes hunting the Pine Bush so special. Hopefully it will give me a better chance to get some blood on my Obsession Bow. It hasn't seen any since moog hunted with it! Trying hard to keep my bum shoulders in shape! My grandson is going to be helping me with some light weight training, and some exercises. All in moderation of course.

I need to just get in there to find a couple spots of my own this weekend. I won't hunt Steves stands, as I'm not sure when he will be in them? They are on the cut trails, to make it easy for him to access. I'm planning on going in a bit farther, looking for some travel corridors to set up on at first. Last thing I want to do, this close to the rut, is go stomping all over in there! Would have been nice to scout thoroughly pre season, but that's not in the cards I was dealt with. So I'll adjust on the fly!

Turns out I do know someone who hunts a mile or so from this property. I was told to be patient!! I will be tempted ALOT. And that there are some monster bucks in there? He has some on his wall to prove it. But it will NOT be as easy as some may think it is, and it's certainly no slam dunk for sure. I get that!! He also says that where I'll be hunting, he'd think it should be even better than his parcel, and much, much larger. And how the heck did I luck into that? No one he knows has ever got permission to hunt around there. I just shrugged and said 'lucky I guess'?

So I will try to update this as I go. In the hopes my trials and errors, learning a new property on the fly, during season, will help someone else.

• Like 5

Nice Dave. I've only made it out a few times on private land NE of Albany. I'm planning on hunting my old areas of the pine bush this year though. All on the western end. I'll keep you posted with what I see.

Not long ago I was at my office on the Excelsior college campus. Look out the window and a whole herd of deer was crossing the lawn! lol

Let me know if you or Steve need help dragging. No strings attached as I've got plenty of ground to hunt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

That's awesome Dave,

I hunted Pine Bush and still do its a great place. Your buddy is right there is a lot of temptation there! Private land on the edge is going to only get better as the season goes on. The deer get pressured big time and get pushed out. If you can stand putting your gun down for the first week of gun season i bet you will see deer you dream of!!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, grampy said:

Yes 4J. No firearms, or crossbow hunting allowed. And that's just fine with me. It's what makes hunting the Pine Bush so special. Hopefully it will give me a better chance to get some blood on my Obsession Bow. It hasn't seen any since moog hunted with it! Trying hard to keep my bum shoulders in shape! My grandson is going to be helping me with some light weight training, and some exercises. All in moderation of course.

I need to just get in there to find a couple spots of my own this weekend. I won't hunt Steves stands, as I'm not sure when he will be in them? They are on the cut trails, to make it easy for him to access. I'm planning on going in a bit farther, looking for some travel corridors to set up on at first. Last thing I want to do, this close to the rut, is go stomping all over in there! Would have been nice to scout thoroughly pre season, but that's not in the cards I was dealt with. So I'll adjust on the fly!

Turns out I do know someone who hunts a mile or so from this property. I was told to be patient!! I will be tempted ALOT. And that there are some monster bucks in there? He has some on his wall to prove it. But it will NOT be as easy as some may think it is, and it's certainly no slam dunk for sure. I get that!! He also says that where I'll be hunting, he'd think it should be even better than his parcel, and much, much larger. And how the heck did I luck into that? No one he knows has ever got permission to hunt around there. I just shrugged and said 'lucky I guess'?

So I will try to update this as I go. In the hopes my trials and errors, learning a new property on the fly, during season, will help someone else.

I'd say more like good kharma, Dave.  I insist you let me know when the bruiser is on the ground and need a drag!  Your grandson needs his sleep and I want to have a celebratory scotch with you!

• Thanks 1

Thanks again to everyone for the positive feedback!! Very excited to see how this will play out?

My hunting partner Gary and I, will be going in tomorrow morning to set some spots. Will take pictures of the set up's, and a brief explanation of why we chose that spot.

Mr. Steve won't be hunting tomorrow, so we won't mess him up by stomping around. Got some good advice from a forum member, who I respect a lot with hunting info. He suggested to just go in there and not be quiet. Let the deer know we are there, and let them run to their escape routes. Shouldn't bother them while we are in there setting up spots. (most will be from the ground). Much better than sneaking around. And I agree with him after thinking about it. Once we are all set up, they will filter back in and resume their normal activity within a day or so, or even a few hours. He showed me proof from cams on his property that it works! Kinda get em out of the way, while we do what we need to. 

Again, I'm just trying to share a little info, as we try to set up on new property during hunting season. Hopefully it will help someone else along the line, that reads this.

We got in there today, looked around, and made three sets. Lots of deer sign, and lots of rubs and scrapes. Saw a basket 8 driving in on the access rd.

20201024_125315.thumb.jpg.098f71e921f621a25ad79a7f44b17a5d.jpg20201024_125303.thumb.jpg.c5535b916fc3bc2d86b5314716de8ebe.jpg

View from first set. Up on western side of a small ridge. Bedding below, oaks behind. Major deer runs close by.

20201024_132129.thumb.jpg.175ef458c40d993b50a4c47383bc1f10.jpg20201024_133657.thumb.jpg.265847cc837fcfe5e09897a1fff69eb2.jpg20201024_133704.thumb.jpg.36616864f96131b2f1b51768acbfce53.jpg

Second set. East side of same ridge, 400 yards from #1. Hemlocks to the left, thicker stuff to the right. This is where we found the most concentrated buck sign.

20201024_143457.thumb.jpg.494862725667fa42643281ee774a9100.jpg20201024_143433.thumb.jpg.848c995e54124f7168e4c2c7a86824eb.jpg

Third set, and possibly the best one. A swamp down below, oaks with acorns covering the ground, just above. All kinds of trails going back and forth between the two. Set is in a natural depression, where deer won't see us until it's too late. Or maybe not at all.

Set one and three can be used for multiple wind directions. Just turn till the wind is in your face, and hunt what's in front. So many different runs, they could come from!

Set #2 is perfect for the prevailing NW wind.

Will get in there next Saturday. Hopefully will see something?  Absolutely so cool hunting, and trying to figure out a new spot! 

Will update again here, after actually sitting one of these spots. Should be interesting? 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Good luck. Looks fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And all from the ground Biz. I know you would approve!!

Nothing better to me than hunting eye to eye on the deer's level! It up's the challenge a bit, but can't beat the thrill!

• Like 3