Is 62 acres too much

luberhill

Ok I’m looking at 62 acres a friend owns, all woods surrounded by thousand acres of woods..

He has a small cabin on it very basic ...

no electric ... it’s about 3 miles in on a seasonal gravel road ..

Fingerlakes area..

I’m used to hunting 30 acres surrounded by farm land .. 

This almost seems like too much land for good deer hunting , kinda like being in the middle of the Adirondacks 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Ok I’m looking at 62 acres a friend owns, all woods surrounded by thousand acres of woods..

Fingerlakes area..

This almost seems like too much land for good deer hunting , kinda like being in the middle of the Adirondacks 

Not to much at all!! We have just under a 100, fl area and wish we had more. I call it exactly Adk hunting as ours is 99.8% wooded. It can be tough at times when the deer can wander really anywhere but little improvements can help. Buy it asap!!

• Like 2

Find your edges between tree types( hardwood /.softwood and brush ) elevation changes over 10 ft.  All will.create travel corridors 

No comment on the price ?

A 60 acre parcel can be turned into a honey hole. A little bit of work on your end could turn it into a fantastic deer habitat.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

price seems right for finger lakes area, once you get you can clear cut small areas acre or less, this will give you diversity and bedding plus food, do it during the winter and u will be suprised how many deer show up, plus you can set it up the way you want yes it will be much diffrent then hunting farm land but you may also find all day deer movement. theres plus and neg. to bigger woods hunting

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

A 60 acre parcel can be turned into a honey hole. A little bit of work on your end could turn it into a fantastic deer habitat.

Again , the 60 acres is surrounded by thousand acres 

it’s in the middle of the woods ,,, 

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

Fingerlakes area..

Timber value?

Fingerlakes area..

I would kill for that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

I only.know local prices .wny catt allegany, chautauqua.   Fingerlakes is different.  Like by nyc.. plus all timber  size, tree type all play into price , stumpage report show prices up from last fall winter on all species and cherry is back up to.650 common per thousand 

2 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I only.know local prices .wny catt allegany, chautauqua.   Fingerlakes is different.  Like by nyc.. plus all timber  size, tree type all play into price , stumpage report show prices up from last fall winter on all species and cherry is back up to.650 common per thousand 

Timber value isn’t much for the size and type of trees ..

some of the land is a steep grade 

8 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Well cabin is on it, what size of cabin,  figure 15 to 20 k if decent shape and size..  nothing else. Utility wise.  Seasonal road or year round?  My land is very steep if good timber they find way to cut and winch it out.  Most good land here is 1000 to 1200 an acre, with smaller lots commanding more $ as city people buy it as they  think they are getting a deal.

, so if this was here on year round road with electric,  I'd sat 65k for Land And 20 k for cabin. Maybe 10 k in timber from what you say.  ,but no electric so deduct.  85 to 90 would be fair if cabin decent size and in good shape. Less if seasonal road .

Edited by G-Man

No water nearby and other than acorns no real food plots or farm fields

again like the north woods but minus water source 

If you ever wanna tour our place I’d be more than happy after deer season to show you what we have done to enhance food, water and cover. We have a lot in common, I grew up hunting a farm, fields and wood lots to an extent you could hang a stand along the field edge and have a high probability to see and harvest deer. All wooded is a challenge but a fun one that’s well worth it. As gman said different Forrest types is a great one. Lots of opportunity you just have to see the forrest thru the trees!!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Well cabin is on it, what size of cabin,  figure 15 to 20 k if decent shape and size..  nothing else. Utility wise.  Seasonal road or year round?  My land is very steep if good timber they find way to cut and winch it out.  Most good land here is 1000 to 1200 an acre, with smaller lots commanding more $ as city people buy it as they  think they are getting a deal.

, so if this was here on year round road with electric,  I'd sat 65k for Land And 20 k for cabin. Maybe 10 k in timber from what you say.  ,but no electric so deduct.  85 to 90 would be fair if cabin decent size and in good shape. Less if seasonal road .

The cabin is a shed 12 x 24 but insulated with bunks

no electric anywhere close

seasonal road

27 minutes ago, Zag said:

If you ever wanna tour our place I’d be more than happy after deer season to show you what we have done to enhance food, water and cover. We have a lot in common, I grew up hunting a farm, fields and wood lots to an extent you could hang a stand along the field edge and have a high probability to see and harvest deer. All wooded is a challenge but a fun one that’s well worth it. As gman said different Forrest types is a great one. Lots of opportunity you just have to see the forrest thru the trees!!

How much land ? And where is it located 

one thing i would point out u say its like adk's woods nothing is like adk's they rate snowfall in feet up there and you can go miles upon miles with out seeing a road and deer numbers are low and are controlled by winters not hunters...it sounds to me that its not a price issue but more that theres not farm ag and hedge rows.....if you dont like the property or its not your style then pass, and as far as a shed as a deer camp ,,,,that to me is great but if u want water and electric may not be your cup of tea

5 hours ago, luberhill said:

Steep grade? Terrain like that will have spots where deer funnel to take the easiest route. Ridges can be great spots too. You'll want to walk it carefully and scout it out to find the travel areas. Creating an acre food plot will draw a lot of deer. Sounds like an interesting area, but will take some sweat and time to make it into a honey hole.

I'm with everyone else.  You can make that one chunk of 60 acres the best in the area. They will show up may take a year or two but you could have quite the honey hole.   Use the steep terrain to help pull thermals down away from trails.  I would ask him if you can scout it once the snow is on the ground or in the spring when it's really easy to see all the sign left from the fall.

Look at it this way all stateland holds deer and big deer.  However if you take 1000 acre piece of stateland the deer are in pockets of 30-60 acres of the best habitat and safety. So on 1000 acres you may have 3-6 actual good spots