Is 62 acres too much

luberhill

Well cabin is on it, what size of cabin,  figure 15 to 20 k if decent shape and size..  nothing else. Utility wise.  Seasonal road or year round?  My land is very steep if good timber they find way to cut and winch it out.  Most good land here is 1000 to 1200 an acre, with smaller lots commanding more $ as city people buy it as they  think they are getting a deal.
, so if this was here on year round road with electric,  I'd sat 65k for Land And 20 k for cabin. Maybe 10 k in timber from what you say.  ,but no electric so deduct.  85 to 90 would be fair if cabin decent size and in good shape. Less if seasonal road .
That 1000 to 1200 and acre may be off since the virus hit. I know you mentioned smaller parcels going for more to city folk but I think larger parcels have been driven up in price as well.

If you not happy with price he offered why don't you contact a local real estate agent and have them do a little research on similar sales? This will give you a solid foundation to negotiate with your buddy.

Also if your going to buy a place like that.....you better be in love with it since it's a significant investment.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Definitely walk it first.. with some sweat equity you can make it good wildlife property. Do yo have a goal or dream if you ever owned land? and do you see that happening on this piece of land? Plent of room for 62 acres.. I own 12 acres with a camp and a big gamble barn and a seasonal rd that goes through the middle of the property and dead ends at the end of our property. We see and have harvested good deer from it. We've also spent time to make it more desired to all wildlife.. 

It is a little harde rto hunt big huge wood lots but check it out, and check the topo maps and all .. build a dream/goal and fulll send

With no water and no nearby agriculture, I think you're wise to be skeptical.  I had land in the Finger Lakes area that was similar to what you're describing- the hunting was fair at best because the land had nothing to hold deer.  Now, I have property that has a creek and is surrounded by agriculture and the hunting has been fantastic.  Good suggestion to ask if you can hunt it before buying.

Edited by virgil

10 hours ago, luberhill said:

Ok I’m looking at 62 acres a friend owns, all woods surrounded by thousand acres of woods..

He has a small cabin on it very basic ...

no electric ... it’s about 3 miles in on a seasonal gravel road ..

Fingerlakes area..

I’m used to hunting 30 acres surrounded by farm land .. 

This almost seems like too much land for good deer hunting , kinda like being in the middle of the Adirondacks 

62 acres in the fingerlakes.......Am guessing there might be forest but shouldnt be like the dacks.  Dacks has very little browse to it cause of the old growth forest.  

And is 62 acres too much?  6200 acres isnt too much if you ask me.  Whatever you can afford and manage go for it.  Our lease is 120 acres and we would love to have more.  

I own 41 acres and its plenty enough for me and two others. Its not really about the size as it is the quality of the land and what you make of it. The size comes into play depending on how many will hunt it. With 62 acres and you put in 4-6 food plots and no agriculture around you, that is a recipe for a gold mine. My 41 acres has many agricultural farms near by and I still attract deer.by offering different food, water and cover.  Plant some apples trees, put in a few large to medium size food plots and you will be golden. Remember the process never ends, either small or large projects but I try to do something to my land each year that makes it better, more attractive to wildlife.. If your into working hard and have the equipment,  62 acres can become a paradise for hunting. Good luck and keep us posted.

Our group leases a large piece of land from a logging company. Its almost completely covered in forest. We take advantage of our areas where there are breaks in the canopy to put in our food plots. Even if they are small that little bit of food seems to bring deer in. 

62 acres is definitely not too much. I don't know much about QDMA but it seems like if you put in some food plots and bedding nearby you would have yourself a honey hole that every deer for miles would concentrate to. On the flip side it's a major gamble. might do all that work and not have it payoff. plus if having a cabin with water and electric is important to you than this might not be the place for you. I think you're wise to be skeptical. maybe just scout the heck out of it and go with your gut

7 minutes ago, First-light said:

I know a guy who paid $125000 for 68 acres and small cabin, no electric on seasonal road. Finger lakes

I sold mine in the Finger Lakes about six years ago- 20 acres, a small cabin (very rustic), no utilities, on a seasonal road and surrounded by state forest. $60K.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, virgil said:

Also, you mention that it's three miles in on a seasonal gravel road.  I'm sure you know, you'll get lots of lake effect snow in the Finger Lakes.  Those seasonal roads can be tough once the snow starts.

3 miles is a considerable distance.   You get a big storm while you are up there for deer season and then you continue having bad weather that winter and you won't get out of there until the Spring thaw.  Something that should be taken into consideration especially for that asking price.

• Like 1

Not familiar with the finger lakes area as far as pricing, but it seems to me to be way too much.

We've been looking(to possibly sell and buy or just keep and buy) and the china virus and riots have jacked the market. Houses are going for 40% more over asking. We made an offer at 30k over asking and lost it, a dumpy house with land.

I doubt a cidiot is going to buy a unimproved place like that, but there is little inventory so someone else might. Others are spot on with value and access- utilities. I had my land assessed and road frontage that can be broken into smaller lots is worth alot more(7 times more) than larger less accessible acreage.

I'd offer less than half in today's market... 50k( more like 35k in his instance?) most could easily finance and pay off quickly like a truck.  Like someone else said have your agent do an assessment. You will probably be surprised how little it's assessed for. Remember just because you see things listed at a certain price doesn't mean they sell at that price. I think alot of people (sellers)are taking advantage of the market right now. It's grown frustrating looking, when something comes up by the time we schedule an appointment it's sold. After looking and looking we are probably going to wait a year.

Good luck don't let any emotions over rule your logic when making a purchase!

10 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Couple nice 8s several 6s no monsters

You say it’s surrounded by big woods, have you looked or do you know who owns adjacent property and are they hunters? If they are hunters and you want to shoot bigger deer they may also want that.  If you and say 3 other property owners had a few hundred acres combined you could easily let smaller bucks go and start growing some mature deer. I suppose you have to look at how much work youre willing  to do to bring it around to you’re standards verses what you have now. 

7 minutes ago, luberhill said:

My real goal is to find a house , ranch house , with 30 or 40 acres of land ( woods) I. Cayuga County or Onondaga Cty ...

then I’d sell my house and move and have a house and land !

Might as well be patient and find what you really  want then. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1