Opening weekend of gun season.

wolc123

It sounds like we have a few forum members up in the big woods for opening weekend this year.  I was able to get my opening day morning spot prepped a little bit yesterday afternoon, trimming some shooting lanes and getting a tree ready for my camp chair and tree umbrella.  

The spot I have picked out is directly across the road from a big chunk of state land, and adjacent to a hunting camp.  I am hoping that pressure from aborigins (my word for hunters I dont know) will push a buck way.

It is also a prime trail intersection, and the location where I killed my last big woods buck on Thankshiving weekend in 2016.  I aim to stretch out my morning sit to 2:00 that day, to try and catch their lunch time exit push.  I will have to bring snacks and ration my quart of hot cider a little, to last that long.

I am actually looking forward to the rain Saturday, since hearing that Tacs and TF have been able to kill deer from under a tree umbrella while it was raining.  Most of all, I have been waiting 3 years, for the right conditions, to use my fiber optic sighted Marlin 336BL 30/30.  After a full week, of sometimes needing to wipe the fog off my ML scope every 10 minutes, as the rain came down, this sure will be nice:

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 4

Beautiful 30-30! I’m just wrapping a week with the muzzleloader and taking a break from the big woods for a week or so in the spirit of marital preservation. Had one grade-A chance with two does but didn’t get the clean shot I wanted. Also had bear and ‘yote encounters in my crew. I covered 20-odd miles still-hunting with some 3-4 hour sits mixed in. Not a ton of rut sign kicking in yet in my area (5H). A few resident bucks on camera but not a ton of rubbing and scraping yet. Most of the fresh I’ve found has been down low, which makes sense considering the drought conditions. It’s still fairly dense, but there was lot of good wet weather for sneakin’ and peekin’. Sounds like license sales are way up this year and Ive never seen parking lots, trail heads, and paddling routes so busy this summer. Hopefully we can all push a few wall hangers to each other! Best of luck guys.
-Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds similar to my ML week so far CC.  7 deer sightings in 7 days, 1 grade A chance on a big doe that I would have taken, had I been able to clearly see the head. I had my hammer back on it for about 10 seconds as it stood broadside, 70 yards away and I moved my crosshairs back and forth between the shoulder blade and center lung.

All but one little one were seen while I was still hunting or walking to my spots, and all were within 10 minutes of legal sunrise (6 before and just that one big cow after).  Afternoons were completely dead in the deer woods.  I did see a couple recently freshened scrapes here in wmu 6C, which I am downwind of right now.

No bear sightings in the daylight, but I may have heard one in the pitch black darkness this morning.  Something large was breaking branches behind me. Good luck for the rest of the season.

The big day is now open us.   I hear the rain blowing against my windows but it looks like it is supposed to stop right around sunrise at 7:30.  

I think I will drive the truck up to the end of the trail, leading to my spot, and stay in the cab until the rain stops, then still hunt my way in.  I will leave my bulky camp chair in the truck, and just take my tree hammock chair and tree umbrella in with me (in case they blow the forecast and the rain starts again).

The tree hammock chair allows easy 360 degree shooting but the camp chair does not.  I will have to take it down and stand in the event of rain however, because it catches the runoff from the tree.

Good luck to everyone out there in the big woods with guns this morning.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Well I am 2 for 2 at blowing my chances in the big woods this week, counting the big doe I passed on Sunday with my ML.

I bee lined it to my spot, 15 minutes before sunrise,  during a light steady rain.  When I got to the tree, at first legal light, I deployed the umbrella up high, loaded up and stood below it.  

It stopped raining right on schedule, around 8, and I set up the tree hammock chair.  Minutes ago. I heard a branch snap over the edge of the gully.  Gun was in my lap, pointed the right direction, and I gripped it tight. 

15 yards away, a high light colored rack, head and neck popped up.  I raised my gun quick, but not quick enough to get off a shot as the sure shooter buck turned tail and disappeared down into the gully.  So close yet so far.  That's why they call it hunting.

20201024_090515.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Just had a little more action at this location.  A pair of deer ran by, down hill from me,  I could not tell exactly what they were, but the first one had its tail up.  I am going to try and stick it out until 12:15  or so.  Then its time to head back to the house for a bowl of hot chile.  

The chase phase seems to be on today, with both the deer and the red squirrels. I will get back out, after warming up a bit.  No more rain in the forecast, so I will leave the tree umbrella at the house, but bring along my muff and handwarmer.  The temperature had been dropping steadily, and that ought to keep the deer moving.

• Like 1

I am warmed up now, retooled, and in place for what will hopefully be some late afternoon action.  Supposedly, there is no chance of rain, so I brought out my father in law's scoped 336 30/30. 

That ought to increase my odds of getting 150 grains of lead thru the young growth hardwoods that I am in now.  This is an area where I have never seen a buck, but have had many encounters with does thru the years, including a couple earlier this week.

They like to feed on the abundant acorns and hickory nuts.  Based on what I saw this morning, the rut is full on, so if the does come out to feed early, a buck may follow.  That's the plan anyhow.

20201024_151654.jpg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Modern hillbilly said:

Good luck fingers crossed!

Thanks, I am giving it all that I got.  I am very comfortable, with my heavy insulated bibs, down vest, and muff/handwarmer.  I did not hear any shots at all this morning, but I have already heard 3 in the distance, since 3:00 pm.  Maybe they are starting to move.

I will be ready, if they stroll thru here.  Last Saturday, opening day of Early ML, I heard 4 single shots before noon.  The leaves are dry and crunchy now, so nothing is going to sneak in and surprise me, like happened this morning.

Edited by wolc123

I am warmed up now, retooled, and in place for what will hopefully be some late afternoon action.  Supposedly, there is no chance of rain, so I brought out my father in law's scoped 336 30/30. 
That ought to increase my odds of getting 150 grains of lead thru the young growth hardwoods that I am in now.  This is an area where I have never seen a buck, but have had many encounters with does thru the years, including a couple earlier this week.
They like to feed on the abundant acorns and hickory nuts.  Based on what I saw this morning, the rut is full on, so if the does come out to feed early, a buck may follow.  That's the plan anyhow.

20201024_151654.thumb.jpg.6aedaab33f8a02a31e6f414215846cf1.jpg

I didn’t know marlin made scopes?
Good luck

26 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I didn’t know marlin made scopes?
Good luck

That 3-9x scope came with the gun.  My father in law paid $ 499 for the package with a sling from Gander Mountain.  The scope is nice and clear in the dark woods.  Unfortunately, no deer showed up tonight  before sunset for me to try it out on.

It must be an early Remlin, from back when they had real Marlin parts.  It is just as smooth as my old 336 , that I bought from Brand Names in the early eighties.  I regret selling that one. My newer 336 BL is not bad, but not quite as tight as my father in law's, or my old one.

I am glad to hear that Ruger picked up Marlin in the Remington liquidation sale.  Now, most of my fleet of rifles, and rifled shotgun fall under one roof.

The only two things I dont like about my father on law's 336 is that the sling does not have quick disconnects (I only like a sling when I am dragging a deer), and there is no thumb extension on the hammer.  I will fix that last issue on Thanksgiving weekend if i can find one.  They are nice with a scope and make for some quicker shooting. Maybe I will bring along a couple of quick attach sling swivels also.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

Usually, I take a nice leisurely still hunt through the local hot-spots on my last hunt on a trip up north.  The leaves are dry, frozen, and crunchy this morning, and the wind is light.  Even an expert still hunter (which I am far from) would have a tough time of it under these conditions.

The conditions are however, almost perfect for an ambush of a target buck.   I met one yesterday morning on the NE corner of his range.  There is a steady wind blowing from that direction this morning.  I know where a couple of his scrapes are on the SW corner of his range.  

When the sun comes up, I will be waiting for him, a little downwind of those.  I will be camped out there on my tree hammock chair, with my 30/30 until 11:00, until I run out of hot cider, or until he shows up, whichever comes first.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I hunted through the rain Wednesday morning with the bow. Had to swap out my water proof winter hat for a cap to keep rain off my glasses. Thursday was a passing shower here and there. Friday was a decent enough though.

Opener it was pouring out most of the morning. I did manage to get a couple hours in carry a 20GA pump still hunting in the afternoon. Felt great to be carrying a firearm for deer.

I'll be back up in the ADK's this Sunday with my wife for her first hunt of the year. Looking forward to some private land.

• Like 1

Went to my cabin for the weekend. Saturday it was raining till about 11 so I sat from 11 till dark seeing two does 20 yards away one at 1:30 another at last light. I heard a grunt when the first doe came in but he never showed. Very very thick at my place so I just need some luck and a eager guy to pop his head out. No luck Sunday, I was surprised because the weather looked good.

This Friday says 1-3 inches of snow and Saturday morning 16 degrees! So I called my employees and changed the schedule lol, I will be up for the weekend again hoping for a little luck. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 5:48 AM, wolc123 said:

Usually, I take a nice leisurely still hunt through the local hot-spots on my last hunt on a trip up north.  The leaves are dry, frozen, and crunchy this morning, and the wind is light.  Even an expert still hunter (which I am far from) would have a tough time of it under these conditions.

The conditions are however, almost perfect for an ambush of a target buck.   I met one yesterday morning on the NE corner of his range.  There is a steady wind blowing from that direction this morning.  I know where a couple of his scrapes are on the SW corner of his range.  

When the sun comes up, I will be waiting for him, a little downwind of those.  I will be camped out there on my tree hammock chair, with my 30/30 until 11:00, until I run out of hot cider, or until he shows up, whichever comes first.

I am curious of the hammock chair, can you tell me more about it ?

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, cachemoney said:

Currently sitting in one and wondering how you stay awake. 

How did I not use one of these earlier ?

They certainly are comfortable.  I think being comfortable makes it easier to stay alert.   Not quite alert enough for me to get a shot at that last big Adirondack buck however.

If I still have my buck tag, I hope to get another crack at him after Thanksgiving. Just knowing he is around might save the life of a big 1.5 year old WNY buck on opening weekend of gun season this year.

It looks like the late ML season up north begins a week earlier than ours, so I might even be able to get another crack at him in December, if I dont punch my archery/ML buck tag prior to that.

On 10/24/2020 at 5:26 AM, wolc123 said:

The big day is now open us.   I hear the rain blowing against my windows but it looks like it is supposed to stop right around sunrise at 7:30.  

I think I will drive the truck up to the end of the trail, leading to my spot, and stay in the cab until the rain stops, then still hunt my way in.  I will leave my bulky camp chair in the truck, and just take my tree hammock chair and tree umbrella in with me (in case they blow the forecast and the rain starts again).

The tree hammock chair allows easy 360 degree shooting but the camp chair does not.  I will have to take it down and stand in the event of rain however, because it catches the runoff from the tree.

Good luck to everyone out there in the big woods with guns this morning.

Where in the world can I find one of these hammock chairs? They sound really cool, but I can find one for sale anywhere!