High End Hunting Clothes

nybuckboy

Anyone here wear any of the high end hunting clothes like Sitka; Asio, etc.  I just bought LL Bean wool Jacket and pants in camo at the cost of $410 ($250 coat / $169 pants) and thought that was pricey but it is 85% wool and is made really well. 

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/111755?page=mens-maine-guide-wool-pants-with-primaloft-camouflage&csp=a&feat=69101-recsbottom.pdp

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69101?page=maine-guide-wool-parka-primaloft&csp=a&feat=111755-recsbottom.pdp

• Like 2

I’m sure those will be giving you years of good service.  

I’ve had and used the heck out of King Of The Mountain hooded sweatshirt and Bunwarmer pants for almost 30 years.  The pants have shrunk (crazy I know) and I just sourced a like new used pair off ebay for a song.  My wife hemmed them so I should be good to go for another 30 years.  :)

Enjoy your new Woolies in good health.....

• Like 3

I have been wearing wool forever and have several articles of LLBean hunting clothing and boots, their stuff is known for good quality and long wear, from my experience I have to agree. I have the Bean midweight wool camo coat that I wear in the early season, when the weather gets bitter I wear my Woolrich PA Tux. 

Al

• Like 1

I’ve gone to first light for my late season set. Man it is nice! Also have a kiln wool hoody that I love. Mid weight I have hand down Sitka which is excellent too. My light early set is Core4 which after 6+ years is wearing out. I’m going to more First Light. I was gonna try Kiui but my bro got a set and says his First Light are better.

The shit is pricey as heck. Look for close outs. If your first time buyer usually you can get a discount code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a Johnson and Woolrich hunting parka. I love wearing them in the right weather. They just feel like...home. That said, they were gifts that I would never be able to afford for myself.

When it comes to the wet and nasty, which I like to hunt...Goretex layered.  the most expensive I have are a set of Cabelas bibs and rain coat which set me back about four hundred at the time.

Are any of theses brands sold in stores ? I’m always between sizes ,  my chest is way larger then my waist ,and I have short legs I need to try stuff on ! I know Sitka is at F/S . Interested in Firstlite but open to others . 

I "run" as they say out West, First Lite for early, mid, and late seasons.  Best purchases I've ever made.  I've been accumulating different pieces to complete sets, or "kits" as they call them, over the course of three years, and can speak to the functionality and efficacy of many of their tops, bottoms, gloves and hats.  After a September Idaho bow hunt for Elk this year (temps from 24 degrees to 70 degrees), and a few seasons in the whitetail woods with their gear on, I'll be loyal to them for a long while.  It does what it says it'll do, and it's the best money I've spent.  Comfort goes a long way and keeps you out there.

If anyone has questions about their gear, I'd be happy to answer them.

Looks like they're about to unveil a new line of whitetail gear, so their solitude bibs and jackets might go on sale end of season (just guessing here)...  I wore those bibs and jacket with the kiln mid-layer on a 30 degree day in the stand.  Toasty.

Now if I could just find some friggin' boots...  Ain't no cure for my cold feet.

On occasion, I get discount code referrals from them.  I'll try to remember to post it up here.

Full disclosure - I get a discount from them for some conservation volunteer work that I do.  I do not receive any compensation from sales or anything like that.

• Like 1

Sent my LL Bean wools back and ordered Sitka. Fanatic jacket and bibs plus mid hoody.  $$$ but as was said here above “the price is forgotten when the quality is remembered”. My son in law ordered Sitka first about a week ago. 

9 hours ago, Nomad said:

Are any of theses brands sold in stores ? I’m always between sizes ,  my chest is way larger then my waist ,and I have short legs I need to try stuff on ! I know Sitka is at F/S . Interested in Firstlite but open to others . 

The higherend brands will allow you to exchange stuff via the mail on their dime until you get the right size . My shipments always came with a shipping label to send stuff back if it didnt fit right ,kind of a pain but not a horrible option. 

• Like 1

I can attest this is my first year buying sitka gear. I only bought it because of a 60% discount but now that I have it I can see why it is more expensive! The little things like the zippers  and construction of the fabric. Plus the whole systems work well together to keep you warm and dry!