High End Hunting Clothes

nybuckboy

I have the Vinmoori hearted vest and my son and SIL do too.  They also have the jacket. You will need a 10,000 man cell too.  I have used mine all season so far and jus charged the cell today. https://www.vinmori.com/products/electric-heated-vest-for-men-women-rechargeable-battery-powered

• 4 weeks later...

I can appreciate the higher end gear but if I'm being honest, it seems to be more of a fashion statement than anything. If that's your game then I'm not knocking it, I just feel that spending big dollars to walk 200yds to a treestand and sit for a few hours is unnecessary. You can get warm, dry gear for a fraction of the price of high end gear. The marketing behind Sitka, Kuiu etc are really good at what they do.
I'm on both sides of the debate. I also have some expensive rifles/scopes etc, that I don't NEED to kill a deer. So I get both sides of the topic. But in my opinion, there is a point of diminishing return on high end hunting clothes, and I have a hard time justifying $400 for a Sitka jacket when I can buy a $180 Huntworth that will keep me just as warm. To each their own!

Now commence the attack on me for calling some of these high end apparel snobs "Gear Diva's."

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My SKRE order arrived the other day.....can't say enough about the quality of this clothing. Seems like a great company to deal with as well. Shipping was crazy fast.....free....and free returns on all products until you get a size you like. I am a new fan of this awesome company!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 11:33 AM, mlammerhirt said:

Did you end up with the skre Hardscrabble jacket? How was it when the temps dipped in the 30's

I just saw this , I've worn it with both wool base layers and been comfortable, I did get the puffy coat that fits under or over the hardscrabble jacket that is unbelievably warm ,it packs down tje size of Gatorade bottle for leaving in your pack until you need it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update ...... purchased my Dad the SKRE kodiak pants for xmas and he absolutely loves them. He wore them at a 3d shoot last week and was real impressed. He also had on the merino wool beanie and neck gaiter.
He'll be getting the hoodie for his Birthday and maybe we'll add the vest or jacket Father's day.

Great product at a reasonable price point and the owners are real nice guys to deal with as well.

9 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Update ...... purchased my Dad the SKRE kodiak pants for xmas and he absolutely loves them. He wore them at a 3d shoot last week and was real impressed. He also had on the merino wool beanie and neck gaiter.
He'll be getting the hoodie for his Birthday and maybe we'll add the vest or jacket Father's day.

Great product at a reasonable price point and the owners are real nice guys to deal with as well.

I wore the vest turkey hunting and early bow with the 150 merino wool shirt under  ,it was perfect for early season.

I have a lot of gear from Sitka, KUIU and First Lite.  I had never heard of ASIO before this thread though.  I like the brands that I mentioned and wear them a lot.  I think their usefulness depends on your area and hunting style.  For stand hunting, this stuff is probably unnecessary. With a couple exceptions, most of this gear is aimed at western hunters or people that hunt on the move (spot and stalk, mountain hunting, bivy hunts). KUIU in particular is not a good system for stand hunting in my opinion but it is my favorite for bivy hunts.  When I stand hunt, I am still usually partial to my old Cabela's MT050.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2020 at 11:52 AM, chrisw said:

I can appreciate the higher end gear but if I'm being honest, it seems to be more of a fashion statement than anything. If that's your game then I'm not knocking it, I just feel that spending big dollars to walk 200yds to a treestand and sit for a few hours is unnecessary. You can get warm, dry gear for a fraction of the price of high end gear. The marketing behind Sitka, Kuiu etc are really good at what they do.
I'm on both sides of the debate. I also have some expensive rifles/scopes etc, that I don't NEED to kill a deer. So I get both sides of the topic. But in my opinion, there is a point of diminishing return on high end hunting clothes, and I have a hard time justifying $400 for a Sitka jacket when I can buy a $180 Huntworth that will keep me just as warm. To each their own!

Now commence the attack on me for calling some of these high end apparel snobs "Gear Diva's." emoji16.png

I agree with this if you are walking out to sit in a stand.  I know a guy that hunts in a heated box blind that wears KUIU.  It is pointless for sedentary hunting.  If you are covering miles a day on multi-day bivy hunts in varying weather, it is great stuff.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2020 at 11:52 AM, chrisw said:

Now commence the attack on me for calling some of these high end apparel snobs "Gear Diva's." emoji16.png

My KUIU set was $400 total and I think its going to last forever. Spending $800-$1,200 or more for a couple items seems unnecessary to me too

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

My KUIU set was $400 total and I think its going to last forever. Spending $800-$1,200 or more for a couple items seems unnecessary to me too

You may have gotten a bargain or you don’t get cold as easily as me. Just my KUIU rain set (Yukon if I recall) cost me over $700.  It’s great rain gear though.  I am saving now for the Superdown Pro coat and pants.  The stuff adds up.  I am okay with expensive gear as long as the quality justifies it.  Most of us spend a lot of money on guns that we don’t really need. I look at it like an alternative to another rifle.  

On 1/12/2021 at 4:13 PM, Fat Dan said:

I agree with this if you are walking out to sit in a stand.  I know a guy that hunts in a heated box blind that wears KUIU.  It is pointless for sedentary hunting.  If you are covering miles a day on multi-day bivy hunts in varying weather, it is great stuff.

Agree . 
I have a Cabellas, camo pullover, with dry plus , and wind stopper it cost me $50 from their bargain cove . I stand hunt farmland , if it’s say above mid 20s, with little wind, I wear a long underwear top and a T shirt under it , colder add a fleece . 

You may have gotten a bargain or you don’t get cold as easily as me. Just my KUIU rain set (Yukon if I recall) cost me over $700.  It’s great rain gear though.  I am saving now for the Superdown Pro coat and pants.  The stuff adds up.  I am okay with expensive gear as long as the quality justifies it.  Most of us spend a lot of money on guns that we don’t really need. I look at it like an alternative to another rifle.  
I have a 35.00 tree umbrella vs. 700 KUIU. Or I hit up an enclosed blind or shack. Just busting balls...lol.

On a side note I am a huge fan of SKRE.....great stuff, awesome customer service, and reasonably priced.

• Like 1

Guide DCS jacket was $219 and Talus hybrid pants also $219 so $440

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

I have a 35.00 tree umbrella vs. 700 KUIU. Or I hit up an enclosed blind or shack. Just busting balls...lol.

On a side note I am a huge fan of SKRE.....great stuff, awesome customer service, and reasonably priced.

Haha, I hear you.  That's the issue though.  If you are hunting a nearby stand or blind, you don't need high priced stuff.  I wear Cabela's MT050 for that type of hunting and really like it.  

I don't know anything about SKRE.  I'm going to check it out.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fat Dan said:

Haha, I hear you.  That's the issue though.  If you are hunting a nearby stand or blind, you don't need high priced stuff.  I wear Cabela's MT050 for that type of hunting and really like it.  

I don't know anything about SKRE.  I'm going to check it out.  

The better the materials the more consistant the body temperature I've found , I have a decent little walk up hill and my first year with good camo I've found I dont overheat while walking as easy and I dont get bone chilling cold when sitting.