Electric knife sharpener, can you recommend one?

bkln

I have to side with Eddie on this one. After trying many different kinds and brands of sharpeners,I stopped looking for anything better once I found this. http://www.radacutlery.com/bestsellers/quickedgeknifesharpener I have 1 on the boat,1 in the house and 1 at the cabin. I don't think I have ever used a faster sharpener,especially one that will put the edge back even on a fillet knife tip.They seem to be the hardest to do IMO.

we have so many dozens of knives in the kitchen alone with different degrees on the edges that a fixed angle sharpener is really limited, my wife has two wusthof sharpeners from culinary school and I use several steels to keep all the knives honed.

a whetstone is best for putting edges back on butchering knives that hit bone, and a coarse and fine steel will straighten fillet edges best.

the draw through type steel sticks that we use on broadheads like the lansky sharpener is great for taking off a lot of metal and fixing an edge when damaged quickly.

Get a Lansky or Gatco sharpener. They hold a constant angle while you're sharpening the blade. They're a lot of work but the end result is a SCARY SHARP edge! I've opted for a medium diamond hone for the bulk of the work. It won't wear like the natural stones.

Once you try one you'll never use any of the other stones laying around the house.

i have the chefs choice 3 stage and all i can say is, its amazing! it put an edge on my hunting knife that i was able to gut and butcher the deer with one sharpening!

a dull knife is unsafe, since i got the 3 stage its made a lot of things easier.. i highly recommend it to anyone. it puts a 3 angle edge on your knife.

• Like 1

Lansky and the like are good, and most will be happy with them. Some of the issues are clamping the knife in the dead center of the jig each time and with long blades the angle of the bevel will change as the rod slides out farther and on wider blades the angle won't be what the guide says, but that is often off on lanskys anyways... But many will never notice and since their edges have not been sharp since it left the factory their happy.

For hard core knife guys many end up sooner or later with an Edge Pro.

http://www.edgeproin...-Pro-System-c3/ Yep pricey, but when you slice free hanging toilet paper or shave letters off the face of newspaper you'll have a priceless grin !

Just watched the Work sharp you tubes seems nice , factories and makers often use slack belts to sharpen same idea here may pick one up to play with.

Edited by Larry302

• 4 weeks later...

Electric sharpener is going to be fast & easy but would take off to much steel per use than I'd like. If you have inexpensive knives, no problem. The rental places use cheaper knives and grind the snot out of them and eventually just junk them. Hand sharpening would be too time consuming for them.

I have been using a Spyderco product for 5-7 years now and have been very happy with it..........................

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

I have had the Spyderco tri angle sharpener for too many years to remember. If you don't let your blades get real dull,or don't want to re-profile its a very good system.

One can also use a sharpie to color in the edge , so you can see if your hitting the edge to much or little on any system.

• 3 weeks later...

Is electric better or should I just grab any from the local store, do you fellows have any recommendations or what to stay away from? Let us know.

Thanks

if you wanna do something, do like the pro's, whens the last time you saw a fish monger or butcher using an electric knife sharpener???? get yourself a nice sharpening stone at the hardware store and learn your angles and you will be working with a razor in no time..

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a Work Sharp unit at a local gun show, and love it. It comes with 3 12" belts in 3 grits, and 2 guides to hold that proper angle. I use the middle one to get edge, and the super fine hone belt to polish the edge. Yup, you can grind away a lot of metal if you constantly use the medium belt, but I found that all you need to do is occasionally use a steel to true the blade after lots of use, or the honing belt. I have tried stones, diamond coated, electrics', and those pull the blade through kitchen ones. Oh that 3 belt, the real coarse one, you can take the guide off, tilt the belt assembly forward, and grind that axe, or hoe. I can spend my free time reloading, or trying out a new load at the range rather than learning how to use a darn sharpning stone.