Hanging a Ladder Stand Solo

Does anyone know if it’s possible to hang a 15’ ladder stand solo? I know it’s tough to hang one even w 2 guys so is doing it alone  feasible ? So hard to find someone to help and time grows short . I know I can drag everything In myself , no problem, but getting it aloft will be the challenge . I was thinking of tying a rope around the seat part and trying to throw it over a branch and use the tree itself as a fulcrum to pull it up a bit at a time . Doable? 

I do it all the time.  Just moved one solo today.   Be sure to attach the stabilizer first.  Then if I feel the need, I reach as high as I can and add a temporary ratchet strap from the ladder around the tree to help keep it tighter to tree.  Climb and add ratchet from seat.   It can feel a bit hairy at times but it works.  

btw - I am sure my method IS NOT OSHA APPROVED.  

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I can do 15 footers myself. I tried a 20’ deluxe yesterday. I got it up myself the first time and it was taller than I thought and would not work on chosen tree. Getting it down alone was fun lol. Found another tree 15 feet away and due to the slope I couldn’t get it. Had to go get the boy to stand on the bottom rung so I could get it up without tipping. None of this would be deemed appropriate by OSHA lol.

The XStand duke I was putting up though is the safest to put up I ever saw. It has jaws up top connected to cables that tighten around the tree as they connect to a ratchet strap after going around to tree to the bottom ladder piece. Then two support bars with teeth connect to second ladder section and ratchet tight to tree. The stand is dang solid so you can climb up and put the top ratchet on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I place the base of the ladder against the tree, tie a rope to the seat area and throw it over a limb on the tree. Pull it up from the other side. You can wrap the rope around a small tree for a pulley effect or to tie off on when you need a rest. I’ve even stood the stand up this way on a nearby tree that had goood limbs and walked it over to my target tree. 

I moved an 18 footer last weekend myself in about 15 minutes. I’m pretty tall so that helps, being Moog-strong also helps (I am not!) . I lay it in front of the tree with the base of the ladder 5 feet or so from the base of the tree. I lift the seat end and start walking the ladder up in the air until it drops agains the tree, wrap the stabilizer straps and secure the ladder bar to the tree. Then a carful climb to secure the straps up top.

49 minutes ago, 46rkl said:

I place the base of the ladder against the tree, tie a rope to the seat area and throw it over a limb on the tree. Pull it up from the other side. You can wrap the rope around a small tree for a pulley effect or to tie off on when you need a rest. I’ve even stood the stand up this way on a nearby tree that had goood limbs and walked it over to my target tree. 

Ok , sounds good ; so , roughly , how long does it take you to get it up to the tree? 

1 hour ago, Don_C said:

I moved an 18 footer last weekend myself in about 15 minutes. I’m pretty tall so that helps, being Moog-strong also helps (I am not!) . I lay it in front of the tree with the base of the ladder 5 feet or so from the base of the tree. I lift the seat end and start walking the ladder up in the air until it drops agains the tree, wrap the stabilizer straps and secure the ladder bar to the tree. Then a carful climb to secure the straps up top.

X2

I am 79 years young but haven't installed a ladder stand alone in 2 years . I haven't had the need to . I fasten a rope on each side of the seat platform , shimmy the ladder up the tree , secure the stabilizer to the tree , criss-cross the ropes behind the tree and tie the ropes to the ladder . Then I climb up and ratchet strap the seat platform to the tree . Not really hard to do .

• Like 1

I am guessing we can all write a book on "The Adventures of Hanging a Treestand!"
We have switched to only buying doubles lately so that's just a ball of fun. I have switched to now using a ratchet strap to also secure the stabilizer bar to the tree and it's been working great.
After chef posted that pic of the muddy stand he was trying to install buckle a few weeks back......it's gives my the crawling up to put the final strap on.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Can of corn . If I’m in open hardwoods , I carry it like any ladder ,upright , bend knees grab a rung stand up and carry it to next tree lean it against tree .

My 17 footers with large platforms , I carry them to the base of the tree slide lower rung to tree and walk it up , now it’s a challenge at times and I’ve  dropped them walking them up but eventually I win . 

A lot depends on ones strength, or better yet experience with ladders .

Edited by Nomad
  • Thanks 1

These steps are from my experience of putting up new single person ladder stands &/or relocating 5-6X over about a 10 year period. Just trying to keep others from avoiding some of the disasters I've experienced.

Before installing any stand, just think about being up 15-20' in a stand, numerous time over a period of several years and you've used those cheapo 5-600# ratchet straps and lashing "string" that comes with the stand. JMO, I feel more secure using 1.5-2k ratchet straps and a thicker rope, at least 3/8" thk. It's your life, so do as you please! These upgrades are almost mandatory for some of those flimsy, cheapo ladder stands, as they make it more rigid.

Better choose the correct orientation you want the stand against the tree even before you start to upright the stand. Pretty difficult to move an unsecured stand around a tree w/o losing control of it. Can be done...

Someone mentioned having base of ladder ~5' from the tree, IRC it's more like 6'. I use to use a crowbar or drove a stake into the ground inside the lowest ladder rung. Prevents base from kicking out when walking ladder stand up.

Walk the ladder stand up like you would an extension ladder. Always had better control doing this myself than fighting to overcome what a 2nd person was doing. Walk it up and guide it against the tree. Warning - this step is where all things that possibly could go wrong just might. Meaning, don't be afraid to sacrifice the stand over your body or well being!!!!

Before any securing, make sure platform is as level as possible, moving base of ladder in/out.

Optional step. Had good luck placing a PT 2"x10/12"x24" plank under the base of the ladder so it doesn't tend to sink into the mud. Had used bricks or flat rocks also, but plank works best. This way if tree grows and raises stand up a couple inches, you can shim underneath planks to accommodate any gap.

Attach horiz stabilizer bar and run a ratchet strap around the tree & criss-cross to ladder uprights. I got used to placing this strap underneath the vertical support bar.

BTW - You should have already attached the 2X rope lashings close to the platform as possible even before uprighting the stand. Then tightly cross those ropes around the tree and tie to lower section of ladder uprights/rungs, making sure ropes are not hung-up on any branches or bark. I always bought & used more HD rope than the "string" that is provided with the stand.

If the above steps are taken, the 1st trip up the ladder isn't quite as a white-knuckled experience.

Once you've ascended & gingerly gotten onto the unsecured platform, I always attach a HD ratchet strap around the tree to secure the tree-claw part of the stand. That is only part of upper stand that is against the tree. JMO, I always put a 2nd HD ratchet strap securing the base of the platform.

Over-kill.. maybe, but it always gave me a secure feeling while up in the tree.

OR - simply call MOOG, forego all the above steps and sit at a safe distance enjoying a brew while watching the show. :rolleyes:

Edited by nyslowhand