Harbor Freight Hitch Hauler

Wildcat

I use that exact model. Works great. 2 pieces of advice to go with it: be mindful of the exhaust. It's hot coming out of the back of a running car. Also, sitting back there, a deer will be subject to any slop on the roads, so wrapping it is a good idea. That also shields it somewhat from other drivers who may not love seeing your dead deer's insides on display.

• Thanks 2

I use that exact model. Works great. 2 pieces of advice to go with it: be mindful of the exhaust. It's hot coming out of the back of a running car. Also, sitting back there, a deer will be subject to any slop on the roads, so wrapping it is a good idea. That also shields it somewhat from other drivers who may not love seeing your dead deer's insides on display.
Nah screw the other drivers. You display your deer bounty proudly!

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

^^^ so you're saying to hell with a hitch platform, just lash it to a fender of your vehicle like hunters used to do in the "olden" days??? :taunt:
Hey if that's what you like go for it. A hitch does save some heavy lifting and also saves you from having to hose the car off

#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wildcat said:

I think I recall a similar topic at one point, but could not find it.

does anyone use the Harbor Freight hitch hauler  to transport deer?    I am. Or looking for anything fancy, just want to get a deer from point a to point b..

any input is appreciated.

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-deluxe-cargo-carrier-66983.html

i have the same one and im happy with it. And same here, i also put a tarp from you guessed it, harbor freight on top of the hauler befor i put the deer on it and wrap it with bungee cords. I also put reflectorized sticker on the back and side of the hauler whic you cal also buy at harbor freight. Warm up the metal and sticker with hair dryer beofre you stick it in the hauler for best results.  And to make it more discreet, i cut off the the legs/hooves  at  the "ankle" level so its make it easier to wrap and hide the deer. 

I have the aluminum version that folds up ,I took the folding part off so it stays down the whole time . It has worked good everytime I've used it . Sometimes I used a tarp and sometimes not , I always put the stomach facing back to keep debris collection minimized.  I've had people behind me overreact and cover their eyes and I've had people give me the thumbs up . 

• Like 2

I also have the aluminum version, the narrower one. I bought it specifically because it fits a 165 quart grizzly cooler i have. The nice thing about the ome i got is that it has a shorter receiver arm to be inserted into the hitch, keeps it from sagging with a heavy load. I have boned out elk and moose and transported it in the cooler. Works excellent

This is an outstanding idea, have it on a 4 wheeler, saves the animal from the dirt, if covered up.   The old idea of strapping them to the front or back of a vehicle has gone with the ages.   Anti hunters and non hunters frown at seeing deer in such a manner, lets keep it clean and not help the Anti and non hunters in their pursuant to stop hunting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, johnplav said:

I have the aluminum one from Harbor Freight.  It works well but it doesn't fold.  I wish it did, since it would fit in the car easier when I'm not using it. 

I took the folding section off ,it adds a foot of distance the carrier sticks out of the hitch ,the fit is sloppy so the carrier starts pointing towards the ground too.

• Like 1

How do you edit an edit? I just realized that in that picture, there is some unintended detail that didn't show up when I posted it from my phone.
@fasteddie can you please delete his post for him?

#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I took the folding section off ,it adds a foot of distance the carrier sticks out of the hitch ,the fit is sloppy so the carrier starts pointing towards the ground too.

Then I guess I’ll just be happy with what Iv got!  I bought it for deer, but it gets alot of use for camping and vacations too.  

4B53F0C5-2D64-41D1-96A6-99DB3AA71C79.jpeg

A7BF8993-CA60-4F6F-A4B3-A0C9D47AB659.png

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 1

I have a cabelas folding one. When it’s folded up I use one set of holes. When I drop it I use another set of holes so it’s not hanging that extra foot out like Jeremy suggested above.
Fun story. I had it in the folded position and drove to the Arthur Ave (little Italy of the Bronx) one day last fall. Came back and had a ticket on my car
Found the “meter Maid” who told me that it was illegal because it blocked my plate. He said when I park I need to drop it so the plate is unobstructed. So it’s ok to drive with it up but not park with it up. And if I dropped it it would be sitting on top of the guy’s bumper behind me.
Needless to say I claimed not guilty, sent pictures and it was reversed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have the aluminum one. Used for deer and other stuff. The fit on the receiver is sloppy, so the carrier amplifies the play. I put reflective tape as well on back and sides. The highways on LI are like race tracks with folks trying to draft the car in front of them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Wildcat said:

I think I recall a similar topic at one point, but could not find it.

does anyone use the Harbor Freight hitch hauler  to transport deer?    I am. Or looking for anything fancy, just want to get a deer from point a to point b..

any input is appreciated.

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-deluxe-cargo-carrier-66983.html

I used too, still have it, just use my

jetsled now and left them with it.