? On which tag to use

luberhill

Just slap a sticker on the dead dear and head home. Turkey tag, bear tag, duck stamp............

The bow and ML tags are either Antlerless only or Either Sex. It states what they are on the tag.

Crossbow is the last two weeks before the regular season.

This page is your best friend to know what tags to use and what the seasons are.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28605.html

• Like 2

I just checked the regs on when crossbow can be used:

"May be used to hunt deer during the Northern and Southern Zone Regular Seasons," and in the next graphic "Crossbows may be used to hunt deer during the Northern and Southern Zone Muzzleloader Seasons."

Bow: 10/1 - 11/20, 12/14-12/22

Crossbow: 11/7 - 12/22

Regular: 11/21 - 12/13

ML: 12/14 - 12/22

8 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

I just checked the regs on when crossbow can be used:

"May be used to hunt deer during the Northern and Southern Zone Regular Seasons," and in the next graphic "Crossbows may be used to hunt deer during the Northern and Southern Zone Muzzleloader Seasons."

Bow: 10/1 - 11/20, 12/14-12/22

Crossbow: 11/7 - 12/22

Regular: 11/21 - 12/13

ML: 12/14 - 12/22

Those dates you listed are for the Southern Zone only.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

crossbow is last two weeks or bow season....not regular season. 

Read your tag. It should say either sex. 

Yes the DMP's (doe permits) can be used in their issued areas during that crossbow season. 

Yea misspoke I meant bow season 

10 hours ago, luberhill said:

Ok :.. I meant to say I know crossbow opens the last two weeks of bow 

I don’t bow hunt , just crossbow , Kapish?

I think you're confusing some of us and maybe even yourself, and the concern we have is that you may be already hunting and not aware of the regs, which is not popular around here. All that aside and at the end of the day, I'd encourage you to visit the DEC website as they have pretty good info and answers to just about any question and THEY are the official source, not us jamokes.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

• Thanks 1

From the Crossbow Regulations ------- 

Crossbows may also be used to take deer or bear during limited portions of bowhunting seasons as follows, provided that the hunter possesses the muzzleloading privilege:

• During the last 14 days of the early bowhunting season in the Southern Zone;
  • During the last 10 days of the early bowhunting season in the Northern Zone; this includes the 7-day early muzzleloader season in the Northern Zone;
  • Only Bow/Muzz tags, DMPs or DMAPs may be use during these times.

I got to tell you guys that it freaks me out more than a bit that many don't bother to read the regulation booklet.  How hard is it to sit down and thumb through at least the main points and season dates??  It can be downloaded from the DEC website to your phone or computer, so in my mind there is NO excuse.  These days info on anything is easier to access than ever before.  Seems like some have many hunting years under their belts yet don't know the basic regulations.  My .02 cents for the day.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/37136.html

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 10.09.29 AM.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I think you're confusing some of us and maybe even yourself, and the concern we have is that you may be already hunting and not aware of the regs, which is not popular around here. All that aside and at the end of the day, I'd encourage you to visit the DEC website as they have pretty good info and answers to just about any question and THEY are the official source, not us jamokes.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

Humm well I’ll try again ... I know CB opens in Southern zone the last 2 weeks of regular bow .

I posted this on the CB page ... I’m NOT hunting yet because the CB season is NOT open yet

Just now, luberhill said:

Humm well I’ll try again ... I know CB opens in Southern zone the last 2 weeks of regular bow .

I posted this on the CB page ... I’m NOT hunting yet because the CB season is NOT open yet

My question was which tags and visiting the dec site I find it confusing 

It seems the question is less about the when and more about which tags to use.

With that said, I have found verbiage in the reg's showing that the season dates overlap. For example, bow can be used during the bow and regular seasons (pg 21), and the ML can also be used during the regular and ML seasons (pg 20) and that an xbow may be used during late bow, regular, and ML seasons (pg 21). Specific locations may have nuances. Based on that, if I'm in the woods on the gun opener, I could be equipped with a bow, xbow, ML, or gun. And the implement that I use would correspond to the tag that I fill out. 

regs2.jpg

Edited by Bolt action

19 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

With that said, I have found verbiage in the reg's showing that the season dates overlap. For example, bow can be used during the bow and regular seasons (pg 21), and the ML can also be used during the regular and ML seasons (pg 20) and that an xbow may be used during late bow, regular, and ML seasons (pg 21). Specific locations may have nuances. Based on that, if I'm in the woods on the gun opener, I could be equipped with a bow, xbow, ML, or gun. And the implement that I use would correspond to the tag that I fill out. 

regs2.jpg

Gotcha, BPS was out of the rule books, trying to read DEC online on my ph I wasn’t getting the whole screen .

first year with X bow

25 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

regs2.jpg

It isn't overlapped at all. You are looking at legal implements and that means NOTHING about what tag can be used. during regular season ONLY the regular season tag and "Doe Permits"(DMP's) can be utilized.  There may be odd ball regs for areas around NYC and archery only areas but in the general southern and Norther zone, that is concrete

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

It isn't overlapped at all. You are looking at legal implements and that means NOTHING about what tag can be used. during regular season ONLY the regular season tag and "Doe Permits"(DMP's) can be utilized.  There may be odd ball regs for areas around NYC and archery only areas but in the general southern and Norther zone, that is concrete

Now I'm getting confused. If the reg says that I can use a bow, for example, to hunt the archery season and the regular season, and I have a bow tag in my pocket, then why can't i use a bow and that tag to harvest a deer during regular season?

4 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Now I'm getting confused. If the reg says that I can use a bow, for example, to hunt the archery season and the regular season, and I have a bow tag in my pocket, then why can't i use a bow and that tag to harvest a deer during regular season?

because you can't.  if you shoot a buck during regular season you MUST use your regular season tag. If you shoot a doe during regular season you MUST have a doe permit for that area. the bow/ muzzleloader tags are NOT valid during regular season. 

Think of it this way. you took a bow course and bought the privilege to bow hunt. as part of that they gave you an tag. now that you bought that privilege to bow hunt you can use that implement in the bow and regular seasons. BUT the carcass tags used must be for the season you are hunting in. 

the only general exception is your regular season antlered tag, if unfilled during the regular season,  converts to an either sex tag that can be used in either the late bow or late muzzleloader seasons. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

I'm trying to prevent confusion for myself.. Not that I harvest more than 2 deer a year, so won't likely run into any issues, but still want to be on the right side of the law. 

I've just read through this again and think i get it. 

Nuances aside, you may hunt with a bow during the regular season. If you choose to use that implement during gun season, that's your choice. If you do however, you must use the regular season tag for that deer. The Box/Mz tags are only allowed during those special seasons. 

The DEC could do a MUCH better job of outlining this. The wording in the reg's is confusing.

• Like 1