? On which tag to use

luberhill

I'm trying to prevent confusion for myself.. Not that I harvest more than 2 deer a year, so won't likely run into any issues, but still want to be on the right side of the law. 
I've just read through this again and think i get it. 
Nuances aside, you may hunt with a bow during the regular season. If you choose to use that implement during gun season, that's your choice. If you do however, you must use the regular season tag for that deer. The Box/Mz tags are only allowed during those special seasons. 
The DEC could do a MUCH better job of outlining this. The wording in the reg's is confusing.

Yup
  • Like 1

When I'm hunting, I only hunt for the tags I have obviously, but this chat has helped for a better understanding. 

Another gem I came across is that you don't need to have bow tags to hunt with a bow in the reg season. You can harvest a bow deer in reg season and put your reg season tag on it. The bow tags only get you the extra tags for the earlier or later seasons.

So when you purchase your tags, you're not purchasing the privilege to hunt with that implement. What your buying is the extra tag that can only be used in the earlier or later seasons.

Light bulb moment..

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

I got to tell you guys that it freaks me out more than a bit that many don't bother to read the regulation booklet.  How hard is it to sit down and thumb through at least the main points and season dates??  It can be downloaded from the DEC website to your phone or computer, so in my mind there is NO excuse.  These days info on anything is easier to access than ever before.  Seems like some have many hunting years under their belts yet don't know the basic regulations.  My .02 cents for the day.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/37136.html

also while the app could use some work, it's pretty easy to navigate the basics, like season dates that every hunter needs to know, every year regardless of how long they've hunted in NY.

Me, I'm patiently waiting for the 30 minute minus and plus sunrise/sunset rule :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bolt action said:

Now I'm getting confused. If the reg says that I can use a bow, for example, to hunt the archery season and the regular season, and I have a bow tag in my pocket, then why can't i use a bow and that tag to harvest a deer during regular season?

58 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

because you can't.  if you shoot a buck during regular season you MUST use your regular season tag. If you shoot a doe during regular season you MUST have a doe permit for that area. the bow/ muzzleloader tags are NOT valid during regular season. 

Think of it this way. you took a bow course and bought the privilege to bow hunt. as part of that they gave you an tag. now that you bought that privilege to bow hunt you can use that implement in the bow and regular seasons. BUT the carcass tags used must be for the season you are hunting in. 

the only general exception is your regular season antlered tag, if unfilled during the regular season,  converts to an either sex tag that can be used in either the late bow or late muzzleloader seasons. 

stop considering the weapon and consider the season as culver mentioned. Where it does finally get a little hairy is with the regular season tag being viable mz season if one also possesses that privledge. Think of it like 2 bucks all year, but only 1 buck per season. However you slice and dice it between the 3 seasons, you can legally shoot 2, so long as you buy the right tags. Disclaimer for most of us upstate anyhow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Use the Tag that your butcher accepts !  LOL

So if I cut up the deer myself or have my next door neighbor lend a hand or vise versa, I can just offer the sticker that came on the sheath of my last Mora? Hot damn I like that! Maybe the tags off my hunting chairs? They are hunting related at least.

:dancer:

Edited by DirtTime
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

also while the app could use some work, it's pretty easy to navigate the basics

Are your 2020 licenses showing up in the app? I'm signed in, have all my history but no current licenses showing. I received them all in the mail back in September. Is the app still a thing?

2 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Are your 2020 licenses showing up in the app? I'm signed in, have all my history but no current licenses showing. I received them all in the mail back in September. Is the app still a thing?

nope and they say "iOS update coming soon" for like 2 months now. Used to be 2 separate apps. 1 was the guidebook and the other the license and reporting system. They archived the later and never fixed the 
NY fish and wildlife official app... for iOS at least. 

22 minutes ago, Belo said:

nope and they say "iOS update coming soon" for like 2 months now. Used to be 2 separate apps. 1 was the guidebook and the other the license and reporting system. They archived the later and never fixed the 
NY fish and wildlife official app... for iOS at least. 

Just noticed I had a pending update sitting there (iOS). Updated it, had to re-login in and licenses show up now.

33 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Whiteout ???   LOL

Yeah, I erased the last three numbers.  Rattler, VJP, Papist or one of those clowns might report me to the DEC for trespassing, poaching or something.  Knowing them they'd claim that they remembered my back tag number when they saw me running away 41 hunting seasons ago.  LOL

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Just noticed I had a pending update sitting there (iOS). Updated it, had to re-login in and licenses show up now.

oh cool, I see it was updated 3 weeks ago. Still not sure they can't combine the 2 apps. The NYFW guide is the one I'm refering to that has the season dates and regs all in a user friendly app format. HuntfishNY is the reporting and e-license app which the former even links too.