Looking for Deer Slugs?

Don_C

14 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Good luck to you guys in getting your ammo...

I am just happy I don't have to use the abusive damn things anymore....Hehehe....

110%...........I hated the damn things.  LOL

I'm going to guess that I haven't fired a slug (at a deer) in 15 years and hope I never do.  Oh, I still have my scoped Ithaca DSII 12ga gun and enough slugs to last a few years but doubt I'll ever shoot it again.  I say that but heck, if I fell into a primo spot in Erie County and inclement weather was looming and I was afraid the ML'r wouldn't fire, I'd (gulp) take Ol Bess. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

110%...........I hated the damn things.  LOL

I'm going to guess that I haven't fired a slug (at a deer) in 15 years and hope I never do.  Oh, I still have my scoped Ithaca DSII 12ga gun and enough slugs to last a few years but doubt I'll ever shoot it again.  I say that but heck, if I fell into a primo spot in Erie County and inclement weather was looming and I was afraid the ML'r wouldn't fire, I'd (gulp) take Ol Bess. 

I sold my rifled shotgun barrel to a member on the forum a few years back...Hoping he had good luck with it...

As por MOI, if I ever hunt an area where rifles aren't allowed, I'm hoping my Big Buddy Moog will lend me his beautiful ENCORE again !!...<<GRIN>>....

Hunted rifle in the southern tier for many years and then picked up a lease in a shotgun only area and switched to the Savage 220.....many in this forum will attest it's an absolute tack driver and provides plenty of punch.

Unless I am feeling nostalgic I don't plan on ever busting out the old 12ga. Mossy anytime soon. That puppy will shake a few fillings lose shooting 3" sabots.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I can't believe I'm NOT taking the 12ga out this year. I have hunted with it since I began in 1996 even though our area went to rifle years ago. I believe I was the last hold out in my club to ditch the shotgun. I may still carry it once during the season just because. 

ive shot plenty of deer with a 12 G and have yet to notice the kick even once.  Just like you dont notice the noise when you shoot at a deer.  Now if i was duck hunting and shooting a lot i can see it.  How many times are you guys shooting the 12 at a deer? lol  I find mine kicks no more than the 30-06.  Never really minded it.  3-3.5 turkey loads on the other hand - ouch.  I am a beefy guy so maybe i just dont notice it as much.  

a lot of the places i deer hunt i just like the 12g.  No shots over 125 mostly and it makes big holes and deer go boom so i still use it among a couple of rifles as well.  We usually have a shotgun day on the lease for luck! 

• Like 1

Who didn't enjoy getting scoped by your 12g slugger while you sighted it in lol? The muzzle blast from a ported Mossberg slug barrel is obnoxious as well. I carried an NEF Ultra slugger for one year. Not horrible to shoot but so so heavy to carry. 

For some dumb reason though I like putting 3 1/2 turkey loads down my 935. I guess I think if I'm getting walloped the bird is too. Twisted logic I guess. 

• Haha 1

I do most of my deer hunting in a shotgun only area.  I would ditch those for a rifle if it was legal.   That said, I have never been bothered by the heavy recoil when shooting at deer.  

On the range, it is different however, and I always use a recoil pad that pins onto my shirt.  It is about 1/2 " thick and filled with a material like sily-puddy.  It tames down my heaviest kicker (Ithaca 16 ga featherlight), down to about  the level of my Marlin 336 30/30.

My primary deer shotgun is a Marlin 512, which is heavy enough that recoil is not a big concern, however I still use the pad with it on the range.

A ML is another legal option, but I prefer my bolt action 12 ga slug gun, mostly for the 2 extra shots.  It is also equally accurate and retains more than double the energy at 150 yards.  That is a big gain in performance for a tolerable increase in recoil. 

For those who are recoil sensitive, I can understand where a 20 ga bolt shotgun would be a better option, but I wonder how the retained energy at 150 yards compares to a 12 gauge.  I have seen some dismal results from folks taking long shots with 20 gauge foster type slugs. 

I do most of my deer hunting in a shotgun only area.  I would ditch those for a rifle if it was legal.   That said, I have never been bothered by the heavy recoil when shooting at deer.  

On the range, it is different however, and I always use a recoil pad that pins onto my shirt.  It is about 1/2 " thick and filled with a material like sily-puddy.  It tames down my heaviest kicker (Ithaca 16 ga featherlight), down to about  the level of my Marlin 336 30/30.

My primary deer shotgun is a Marlin 512, which is heavy enough that recoil is not a big concern, however I still use the pad with it on the range.

A ML is another legal option, but I prefer my bolt action 12 ga slug gun, mostly for the 2 extra shots.  It is also equally accurate and retains more than double the energy at 150 yards.  That is a big gain in performance for a tolerable increase in recoil. 

For those who are recoil sensitive, I can understand where a 20 ga bolt shotgun would be a better option, but I wonder how the retained energy at 150 yards compares to a 12 gauge.  I have seen some dismal results from folks taking long shots with 20 gauge foster type slugs. 

Where are you getting your info on a slug having double the energy at 150yds?

12ga on top muzzleloader on bottom. From hornadys website

12add492698ce98ba0cd0aa884267a3b.jpg&key=e90e78c68c490964e18ae1c4c4b50dc985b6d06c5bfebc7f25d8adc0083353ce

22a679f17af792e265d41a64567dcd65.jpg&key=4df9ef37f22b1aa0d8d24a421d32cd882f0ca43c9bed3e60425cc73a77e25861

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk