Truck dropping into neutral instead of 3rd

UpStateRedNeck

2 miles from home, instead of shifting into 3rd truck dropped into neutral.  High rpms, no power.  Every time now, 1st and 2nd fine, 3rd and it's neutral.  Gonna check it in the morning in case it overheated, either way I gotta limp her in to my garage 15 miles away.  Anybody got a thought on what's up with it?

• Sad 1

Just now, Modern hillbilly said:

Sounded like an older 3spd w/od(80- or 60e) being a 16'Could be a solonoid, or numerous tsb's like fluid flush due to moisture build up etc could fix it. 

The timing is pretty irritating, hopefully my garage isn't backed up.  Have to rent something with 4wd, because I'm not missing hunting this weekend.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

2016 Silverado.  If there's something major wrong with a 4 year old truck this is my last Chevy.

Wont help but my brother had the same issue with his '12 f150.  Ended up being a sensor in the transmission.  Wonder if it's the same type of thing?  He lucked out and it had a recall on it I guess.

What engine size do you have?  This is most likely the 6 speed tranny.  

First thing to do is scan the TCM and see if there are any codes.  That alone will give you some direction.

Fluid burnt smelling?  Lets hope not.

This could be a bad shift solenoid or pressure switch, not too common in a newer truck, or maybe mice got to the wiring, impossible to know more without scanning it first for direction.  If it is you will have to take it in for a new TCM and programming.

GM had a problem with their torque converters in these trucks for a period of time.  The converter "blows up" and sends all the junk to the pump and the end result is total failure.  This happened to my 14 silverado, 5.3 litre 6 speed.  Be advised to expect the worst... Mine cost 4 grand for a new transmission and thats using my original TCM which includes all the switches and solenoids.

This does not sound real good... you should still be under warranty unless you have too many miles on it

25 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

What engine size do you have?  This is most likely the 6 speed tranny.  

First thing to do is scan the TCM and see if there are any codes.  That alone will give you some direction.

Fluid burnt smelling?  Lets hope not.

This could be a bad shift solenoid or pressure switch, not too common in a newer truck, or maybe mice got to the wiring, impossible to know more without scanning it first for direction.  If it is you will have to take it in for a new TCM and programming.

GM had a problem with their torque converters in these trucks for a period of time.  The converter "blows up" and sends all the junk to the pump and the end result is total failure.  This happened to my 14 silverado, 5.3 litre 6 speed.  Be advised to expect the worst... Mine cost 4 grand for a new transmission and thats using my original TCM which includes all the switches and solenoids.

This does not sound real good... you should still be under warranty unless you have too many miles on it

58k, should still be under warranty.  I should be prepared to get a real pinch in the bee-hind from driving a rental for a couple weeks though.  We'll find out in a few minutes when I get a hold of the dealer!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

58k, should still be under warranty.  I should be prepared to get a real pinch in the bee-hind from driving a rental for a couple weeks though.  We'll find out in a few minutes when I get a hold of the dealer!

Theres a good possibility it will only take a day or two... The dealer will just replace it, not rebuild it.  Regardless, I wish you the best outcome and good luck this season!

7 hours ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Theres a good possibility it will only take a day or two... The dealer will just replace it, not rebuild it.  Regardless, I wish you the best outcome and good luck this season!

def this . No one rebuilds them - easier to just replace. Esp at that mileage I would insist on it.

18 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Has nothing to do with Chevy, Ford or Dodge . Have had them all and problems with them all . 

Me too,.

If I said I wouldn't own a truck or car manufacturer ever again because of it breaking down, I'd be going to work on a skate board !

A couple of years ago, I had a friend that bought a top of the line ford truck for his plow business. 

Almost $60 grand after it was all said and done.

Put all of the plow truck crap in/on it and it blew the engine driving out of the plow shop.

It didn't have 50 miles on it.

Crap happens.

Hopefully you get it taken care of without to much out of pocket cost.

Me too,.
If I said I wouldn't own a truck or car manufacturer ever again because of it breaking down, I'd be going to work on a skate board !
A couple of years ago, I had a friend that bought a top of the line ford truck for his plow business. 
Almost $60 grand after it was all said and done.
Put all of the plow truck crap in/on it and it blew the engine driving out of the plow shop.
It didn't have 50 miles on it.
Crap happens.
Hopefully you get it taken care of without to much out of pocket cost.

That’s a fact! I buy a new one every yr and a half or so with zero brand loyalty, they all have their problems!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk