2020 Rut Report

Canis Latrans

Actually its the female of almost all animals that controls when the rut/ breeding will occur. Males of the animal kingdom can and will breed anytime of the year if allowed too. Those bucks only stop breeding and chasing because the females are no longer receptive. 

I don’t agree, females control when they actually do the deed but the rutting activities we’re looking for happen when the bucks get ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10/25/20
1c (Suffolk County, LI) young bucks on their feet middle of the day following does. 10/24/20 &10/25/20 lots of new scrapes observed. Trail cam behind my house shows mostly nocturnal movement through 10/16/20. Sometime between 10/16 and 10/24 fresh rubs behind my house (camera battery died so cannot tell whether rub visited in daylight).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Update. 10/28 -10/30 trail camera behind the house shows young bucks working the rubs early AM (just before legal) PM (during legal) and middle of the day. Haven't captured pics of the big bucks since the velvet came off.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don’t agree, females control when they actually do the deed but the rutting activities we’re looking for happen when the bucks get ready.

Sent from my iPhone using 

Thats fine. But just so your aware all males in general will and can breed at anytime during the year., They only act rutty and are blinded because the does are coming into estrous, give off  scent to entice bucks.. Females dictate all aspects of the breeding process. The does scent and readiness to breed is what makes the males act the way they do. Take a dog for instance, it will breed at any chance it can, ever notice when they come across the scent of a female in heat, most intact males will begin to drool and follow scent.  Lets just say hyperthetically that a  doe comes into estrous  in May, dont you think a buck would breed her? Or do you think based upon your opinion that the male would need to go into rut first then breed the doe. I can bet my bank accounts that same buck will act just as crazy in May as he would in November only because that doe is giving off scents to tell him she's ready.. The bucks only act rutty certain times of the year because of the scent that does lay down to express thier ability to breed NOW.

2 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

Thats fine. But just so your aware all males in general will and can breed at anytime during the year., They only act rutty and are blinded because the does are coming into estrous, give off  scent to entice bucks.. Females dictate all aspects of the breeding process. The does scent and readiness to breed is what makes the males act the way they do. Take a dog for instance, it will breed at any chance it can, ever notice when they come across the scent of a female in heat, most intact males will begin to drool and follow scent.  Lets just say hyperthetically that a  doe comes into estrous  in May, dont you think a buck would breed her? Or do you think based upon your opinion that the male would need to go into rut first then breed the doe. I can bet my bank accounts that same buck will act just as crazy in May as he would in November only because that doe is giving off scents to tell him she's ready.. The bucks only act rutty certain times of the year because of the scent that does lay down to express thier ability to breed NOW.

There's research that states that decreases in the amount of daylight (not estrous scent) increases the testosterone in whitetail bucks.  Here's an article from Outdoor Life - https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/hunting/2016/01/why-do-bucks-lose-their-antlers-science-behind-sheds/    It really is a mating season with whitetails, with both the does and bucks increasing their hormones due to the time of year.  All that to say that the increase in buck testosterone occurs prior to the does coming into estrous, not as a result of it.

Back on thread: 

4L - No new sign seen today.  Deer were on their feet early afternoon.  No bucks seen cruising.

20 minutes ago, Rebel Darling said:

There's research that states that decreases in the amount of daylight (not estrous scent) increases the testosterone in whitetail bucks.  Here's an article from Outdoor Life - https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/hunting/2016/01/why-do-bucks-lose-their-antlers-science-behind-sheds/    It really is a mating season with whitetails, with both the does and bucks increasing their hormones due to the time of year.  All that to say that the increase in buck testosterone occurs prior to the does coming into estrous, not as a result of it.

Back on thread: 

4L - No new sign seen today.  Deer were on their feet early afternoon.  No bucks seen cruising.

I have my opinions and that article is just that a research with an opinion. Some believe in moon phases, light cycles, biometric pressure..etc...thier all just theories. I still stand by the fact that yes all animals have breeding/mating cycles but the females trigger males to become what they are at a certain time of the year. A buck would breed in May as he would in November if  presented with a doe in heat/estrous. But as you know a doe comes into heat in November/December for a reason. Thats my stance, so yes back to the board.

5 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

I have my opinions and that article is just that a research with an opinion. Some believe in moon phases, light cycles, biometric pressure..etc...thier all just theories. I still stand by the fact that yes all animals have breeding/mating cycles but the females trigger males to become what they are at a certain time of the year. A buck would breed in May as he would in November if  presented with a doe in heat/estrous. But as you know a doe comes into heat in November/December for a reason. Thats my stance, so yes back to the board.

Heard.  It's reasonable.

I should have specified that there is extensive research on the topic that links daylight to testosterone levels.  Here's an example, just for the reading and curiosity (I've also read whitetail biology books that cite the same conclusion after study) - http://www.ansci.wisc.edu/jjp1/ansci_repro/misc/websites09/thur/Deer Seasonality/Deer Seasonality.html )

The testosterone gets the bucks all fired up and breaks them out of their bachelor groups and forces them to set the pecking order.  But if you focus solely on breeding, and not rutting behavior, I see your point. 

I'm sure the males are physically capable of mating at any time in the year, but deer are not like every other animal.  The bucks literally grow a huge amount of bone on their heads for each mating season, and their testosterone goes through the roof. This isn't because of the does, it's a change in the bucks regardless of the cycles of does. If the bucks are simply reacting to the does, I guess we should all be using estrous drags and Tinks starting 10/1 then huh? 

10 hours ago, Canis Latrans said:

I'm sure the males are physically capable of mating at any time in the year, but deer are not like every other animal.  The bucks literally grow a huge amount of bone on their heads for each mating season, and their testosterone goes through the roof. This isn't because of the does, it's a change in the bucks regardless of the cycles of does. If the bucks are simply reacting to the does, I guess we should all be using estrous drags and Tinks starting 10/1 then huh? 

A male is a male is a male,. A deer,, bear,, squirrel or  human no difference, all will breed at a seconds notice if allowed.. Antlers on deer,, horns on a ram, teeth on a dog, fists of a man...all used to establish dominance over another, has no relevance to my opinion. . I have  had mature bucks on my cams tending and using mock scrapes as early as beginning of September, whats your point?  Estrous /tinks drags are very inconsistent, not worth the effort. Nothing compares to a live doe in heat. I bet you get a doe in estrous running around your woods the beginning of September you will have bucks chasing her and wanting to breed her, but wait a buck in September has not rutted yet, do you think he would just ignore her? 

Edited by NYBowhunter

Can ya'll take the Sex debate elsewhere and leave the thread for rut reports as intended? 90% of the posts are you two debating the science and the rest of us are just looking for sign. Thanks.

5R - Hunted 10/31 all day and 11/2 AM and theres nothing moving despite nice cold fronts. Hang and hunt near two fresh scrapes and a decent sized rub but I worry my bowhunting vacation might be a week early.

• Like 3

Yesterday between my buddy and I, we saw at least a dozen bucks. Mostly younger ones running any doe they saw. The doe's want nothing to do with the bucks.....yet. I'm thinking next weekend, should have more participation from the bigger, older bucks. Right on schedule, of my "magic day" of November 11th.

4H....hilltowns of Albany county.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rwreynol said:

Can ya'll take the Sex debate elsewhere and leave the thread for rut reports as intended? 90% of the posts are you two debating the science and the rest of us are just looking for sign. Thanks.

5R - Hunted 10/31 all day and 11/2 AM and theres nothing moving despite nice cold fronts. Hang and hunt near two fresh scrapes and a decent sized rub but I worry my bowhunting vacation might be a week early.

Great entry, welcome aboard.

4L - Central "Rentler" Co., up on the Plateau.

Watched a spike walk up a trail about mid-day, and then back down the trail in the 4 pm hour.  Nose down, cruising.  Not stopping for browse at all.

Saw three does up in the 2pm hour walking and browsing.  Nothing harassing them, nor anything after them on their trail (well, except for me, and they winded me).

Bucks smarter than me.:rolleyes: But the big boys for my neck of the woods are on their feet in the daytime. With these warm temps, have to get it done in the am. For your viewing pleasure. These are big bucks for my neck of the woods. "9Y Allegany County." And they are running in the daytime, under the waning Blue moon. The daylight times are correct, except for Nov. 1 bucks. Not switched to daylight savings. 

IMG_0246 copy.jpg

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

• Like 4

WOW @Buckstopshere that's encouraging!! Still practically zero daylight activity from my cams in 8J. I saw my first buck harassing a doe this morning, right after daylight, but it was just a dinky 4pt. Mature bucks still aren't showing themselves any sooner than 1-2 hours of sunrise or sunset, still under the cover of darkness. Have pics of mature bucks running does at night though. Scrapes aren't even "hot" yet... just younger bucks hitting them so far. Wondering how much of an impact the 70 degree temps will have on day time rutting activity though...

I hate to say it, but breeding bucks for the most part are hanging around does in what I call a "breeding nucleus." Little guys are still out there...chasing does. But all the does I see now, in the last few days are the ones with nursing fawns. That holds back the estrous cycle...but they will fuel the second rut peak Thanksgiving week. I am only really serious now with these warm temps in the morning hunt. I hope to kill one tomorrow. IMG_0429.thumb.JPG.173c825ac3f93e9ee3cf427dc6fa3725.JPG

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Buckstopshere said:

I hate to say it, but breeding bucks for the most part are hanging around does in what I call a "breeding nucleus." Little guys are still out there...chasing does. But all the does I see now, in the last few days are the ones with nursing fawns. That holds back the estrous cycle...but they will fuel the second rut peak Thanksgiving week. I am only really serious now with these warm temps in the morning hunt. I hope to kill one tomorrow. IMG_0429.thumb.JPG.173c825ac3f93e9ee3cf427dc6fa3725.JPG

Is that a 5pt?  I would have to get him mounted.

4 minutes ago, Buckstopshere said:

Nah, he's a six. But if he was a 5 pt, illegal in Pa...but he's a few miles north of the border so I can shoot him. :rolleyes:

IMG_0427.JPG

Lol. I don't know how I counted him as a 5pt he's clearly has 6points.  He's a heck of a 6pt.

Good luck

• Like 1