2020 Rut Report

Canis Latrans

31 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

PA is 3 to a side, no? Just 1 side, not both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep, in some areas. The rule, as I understand it is three on a side to be legally harvested. But southwest of me, below Jamestown,  three on a side, not counting the brow tine, which this guy doesn't have. ? Different rules in different areas of Pa.  Four points to a side in far Western Pa. and three points to a side in the rest of the state. 

2 hours ago, Bojohunter said:

The sign im looking for are road kills. Thats when i know the rut is on. That's just my opinion.  More dead deers are seen on the side of the road during the rut especially on peak.  

There is definitely an uptick in road kills in the last 3 days. I'll be out in the woods all day today.

A week and a half ago I saw a 10 following a doe and a 7 to 8 walking around looking in the middle of the day alone. Thursday I saw 2 doe walking around and a 4 to 6 came in the opposite way and chased both in the AM. I heard him grunt which I never heard before in my life. In the PM I saw a large buck follow a doe and heard him grunt too. 2nd time in my life. Nothing in mid day as Thursday was about 66 plus degrees. Did see new rubs and a new monster scrape getting tended to nightly. Never saw that too. This was all on eastern Long Island. This weekend upstate in the Catskills for scouting. Back out next week on the Island. I've been gun hunting for years and I've done pretty good but this my first year bow hunting and Ive been in the woods a lot. What a cool experience. Between the pre-rut phases seeing the deer all the way up now for it to blow open at any time. I should have taken this up years ago. It's a shame youth is wasted on the young 

• Thanks 1

Started getting daytime pictures last week, now I"m seeing daytime deer pictures every day, today I had pictures of a six pointer bedding down in the  open timber between noon and about 3pm, there was another deer not far away, honestly I think it was another buck, not sure what that means for the rut, but if it's not in full swing it's ramping up.

Location 9P (Nunda-Swain)

11/13

Here’s what I saw 710am buck chasing a doe. 830am saw 2 does then heard grunting 10pt scent checked the does and started chasing them, then a smaller buck jumped up and started chasing them. 920am 3 does come by I kill the biggest doe with my crossbow 1st kill with that. A buck with my bow and a doe with my crossbow. I saw a lot of scraps and rubs and chasing.