Burglar Shot by Homeowner in Webster

https://fingerlakes1.com/2020/10/28/lawyer-webster-home-invasion-shooting-appears-justified-based-on-available-information/

My favorite part of this article:

"New York doesn’t have any ‘stand your ground law’, and effectively expects people in dangerous situations to retreat."

That'll be the day!! You come onto my property and pose a threat to me, my family, or my home and I promise you, your life will be in danger!! This state is just so F'ed up it's sickening...

• Like 6

The article states "New York doesn’t have any ‘stand your ground law’, and effectively expects people in dangerous situations to retreat."

• Retreat to where?  Your in your own home you pay taxes to the government for the privilege to live there.  So your suppose to tell a violent sociopath "May I get my face mask to not offend Governor Cuomo and leave while you ransack my home, steal my property and probably kill my pets?"  New York State does not have laws to protect the innocent because the politicians see violent sociopaths as "victims" and they are too busy raising taxes and giving it away to their parasite friends.

The article states "At the end of the day, Welch contends that the individual threat the burglar posed to the homeowner is what could make-or-break a case like this one. “It’s all fact-specific as to what actually happened and what was reasonable at the time for the homeowner to believe,” 

• So a violent sociopath breaks into a home and its what the individual threat the burglar posed to the homeowner.  Was the homeowner suppose to ask the burglar what threat he was going to make before they retreat with face masks on of course not to offend Governor Cuomo?

48 minutes ago, rachunter said:

The mistake the homeowner made was he didn't kill the intruder.It may sound harsh but now theres two sides to the story.

You come in my house only one of us is walking out.

"Dying ain't no way of living" outlaw Josey Wales

In theory that works. As long as your first shot kills the scum.  If he falls to the floor and you pop him again, the authorities will know you shot him while he was down. Your probably screwed. Even if he has a gun, there going to say you could have left that room. 

1 minute ago, mowin said:

In theory that works. As long as your first shot kills the scum.  If he falls to the floor and you pop him again, the authorities will know you shot him while he was down. Your probably screwed. Even if he has a gun, there going to say you could have left that room. 

So what your saying is practice , practice, practice .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

https://fingerlakes1.com/2020/10/28/lawyer-webster-home-invasion-shooting-appears-justified-based-on-available-information/

My favorite part of this article:

"New York doesn’t have any ‘stand your ground law’, and effectively expects people in dangerous situations to retreat."

That'll be the day!! You come onto my property and pose a threat to me, my family, or my home and I promise you, your life will be in danger!! This state is just so F'ed up it's sickening...

there's a pretty good chance that if the intruder was close enough and had any kind of weapon you'll be ok in NY, but it's sad that it's even considered a question. I imagine if my wife shot 3 unarmed robbers while my kids were home that she would be fine. I'd imagine if I (white male) shot 2 minorities with weapons I'd still go to trial. Hope to never be in that situation.

• Like 1

there's a pretty good chance that if the intruder was close enough and had any kind of weapon you'll be ok in NY, but it's sad that it's even considered a question. I imagine if my wife shot 3 unarmed robbers while my kids were home that she would be fine. I'd imagine if I (white male) shot 2 minorities with weapons I'd still go to trial. Hope to never be in that situation.
Sad but probably true

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, mowin said:

Double tap center mass it's the only way i practice.

• Like 3

Ok I, live nearby this home . The homeowner “ may “ have been involved in killing another hunter a few years back , dead guy was wearing an orange jacket, and moving through thick brush when shot and killed , shooter basically was let go . https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/blog/buffalo-law-journal/2007/12/geneseo-hunter-charged-in-almond-shooting-death.html

This house is on a what looks like a few acres , gate, fence ,barn and so forth , rumor is a homeless guy was shot and killed , he’s been spotted many times in the area and some folks were giving him food . Rumor also is the shooting was not in the house ,  but an outbuilding . 

Edited by Nomad

Ok I, live nearby this home . The homeowner “ may “ have been involved in killing another hunter a few years back , dead guy was wearing an orange jacket, but moving through thick brush when shot and killed , shooter basically was let go . https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/blog/buffalo-law-journal/2007/12/geneseo-hunter-charged-in-almond-shooting-death.html
This house is on a what looks like a few acres , gate, fence ,barn and so forth , rumor is a homeless guy was shot and killed , he’s been spotted many times in the area and some folks were giving him food . Rumor also is the shooting was not in the house ,  but an outbuilding . 

Well there’s that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regardless of "stand your ground law",
The state of New York does not have a castle doctrine law? How is this possible?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think the castle doctrine and stand your ground would cut down on a lot of criminal crap in this country not just individual states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 9:14 AM, Belo said:

I over heard a  lawyer  one time telling   his friend  saying that if a burglar comes   at you in your home  with a weapon  and you have to shoot him in self defense  you  better have lots of money for a good lawyer or get out a shovel and dig a grave , because in  new York  its  not guarantied that  you are going to get off  and even if you do  it will cost you a arm and a leg in legal fees  plus the family of the criminal could sue you.

Edited by phantom

On 10/29/2020 at 10:21 PM, Nomad said:

Ok I, live nearby this home . The homeowner “ may “ have been involved in killing another hunter a few years back , dead guy was wearing an orange jacket, and moving through thick brush when shot and killed , shooter basically was let go . https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/blog/buffalo-law-journal/2007/12/geneseo-hunter-charged-in-almond-shooting-death.html

I wonder if that's the guy that's always walking down ridge and other roads. I hope not because I hear he's a nice guy and I don't think there's that many homeless in webster...

On 10/29/2020 at 12:03 PM, mowin said:

Interesting. If you were a poice officer you could have kept on shooting and be ok. Even if the burglar had no gun. Thats a decrepancy..