Raul2145

Hi Everyone,

My name is Raul and I am a new hunter! I've been hunting public land for now, but have been suffering. I've done 2 10 hour sits at Kings Park and 3 10 hour sits at Rocky Point and haven't seen one deer. I use a treestand and use scent blocker. I also get there super early in the morning. I need help! I plan to go again this friday. I scouted Rocky point after the first day and always see sign and I try to hunt the areas, but no success. I hunt around 42 and 36 I think. If someone wants the exact spot I can send them it on a map. I am really just looking for help in any areas and everything. I have put so much effort yet all i want is to just see one that will keep moral up. Any help is really appreciated!

First of all welcome 

Look for pinch points,transition areas, water is always a good spot to look for these.  Right now bucks are laying down a bunch of sign so look for rubs and scrapes.  Deer especially bucks change patterns from summer to fall.  So if you saw them there during the summer they could have moved to better areas for the fall.  

Sometimes it's ok to still hunt and risk the chance of bumping deer out of bed so you can figure out where they are.    Also remember your on stateland and there is very good stateland in NY but that means theres more pressure and you dont know if someone else has been in there. 

So my last advice is hunt the hunters.  If you figure out where the other hunters are the deer are probably not there.  My luck and experience is that the deer will only be in certain pockets on stateland you just have to find it.

Good luck and the season is just picking so hang in there.   

Look for food sources. Oaks, hickory.  Look for thickets as deer like to bed in those.  Ridges are natural travel routs.  

As mentioned, still hunting is a good way to find where deer bed, even if you bump them, and you will, lol. 

Good luck. 

The best is yet to come. You have put in some long days and frustration can creep in quick...that’s pretty normal too. Have faith that if there’s good sign(tracks, runs, rubs, shit) they are there and will start to get more active soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a lot of pressure on that land.  I see hunters there every morning on my way to work.  Plus, in some of the areas, mountain bikes are still using the trails.  I wonder if those deer don't go nocturnal quickly when hunting season starts.

I hunted RP for 40 years. The deer in RP are hunted hard for three months every year. Because of the hard hunting pressure there are not as many deer in RP as there once was. Not to say good deer will not be taken because they will.

The deer in RP lay down for much of the day. Look for bedding ares in more open hard woods, the little there is. Hunt the edges of the restricted zones. The deer are not stupid. Put up cameras but don’t leave them for protracted lengths of time they will be taken. 

Hunt the morning and evening. Deer are not as active during the day in Rocky.  Hunt near where pheasant hunters are they get the deer moving. You know where the food plots are that they put in for the pheasants. Use them. 

You don’t have to stay near your parking spot. Once on the main block you can go where you want. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mike103 said:

I hunted RP for 40 years. The deer in RP are hunted hard for three months every year. Because of the hard hunting pressure there are not as many deer in RP as there once was. Not to say good deer will not be taken because they will.

The deer in RP lay down for much of the day. Look for bedding ares in more open hard woods, the little there is. Hunt the edges of the restricted zones. The deer are not stupid. Put up cameras but don’t leave them for protracted lengths of time they will be taken. 

Hunt the morning and evening. Deer are not as active during the day in Rocky.  Hunt near where pheasant hunters are they get the deer moving. You know where the food plots are that they put in for the pheasants. Use them. 

You don’t have to stay near your parking spot. Once on the main block you can go where you want. 

Hope this helps.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Take this advise and apply it to all of long island.

First off welcome. For starters I would probably edit out the two spot numbers you mentioned. Those 2 spots are really good areas. Lots of oaks in there. The second spot number you mentioned has a really nice area of white oaks I’d try and set up on. Also on that same block of woods I would go to the parking spots on the east side of that property, there’s 2 parking spots on that road. Go to the south one. You can go in there and set up on those deer heading towards the houses. As far as the first spot you mentioned I know someone that hunted there also and have shot some really good bucks. Both spots get hit by pheasant hunters so use that to your advantage. 

Lots of good info above. My advice would be to keep at it. November is the best time to be in the deer woods. Watch your wind at all times. If you can find the does I’m sure the bucks won’t be far away with the rut starting soon. Looks for active scrapes and rubs bucks should be cruising scrapes.

I would echo what others have said. You aren't going to see deer some days, and there will be a string of days where you see nothing. That's normal in my experience, but it can be frustrating, no doubt. Hunting public is not a gimme, by any means. Keep the faith. Those are good spots, but you can try others. Things change in November with the pheasant hunters and as the rut peaks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

On 10/29/2020 at 10:17 AM, mike103 said:

Hope this helps.

Although this is true, I believe you can only hunt on the same side of the road that you parked on. I have always been under the impression you can't park on one side and cross the road to hunt. Can anyone confirm?

5 hours ago, Spear said:

Although this is true, I believe you can only hunt on the same side of the road that you parked on. I have always been under the impression you can't park on one side and cross the road to hunt. Can anyone confirm?

Yes that it true. I know a guy that crossed the road and hunted and the ECO gave him a fine. Sad part was he got the ticket in front of his 10 year old, ECO didn’t even pull him aside to fine him.  

Update to all, I went yesterday and again no luck and not a sight of deer even with the weather that was perfect. I guess I will see if I can find another place to hunt since now you'll need the daily access permit and that kind of ruins the morning hunt since my afternooons are busy usually. 

6 minutes ago, Raul2145 said:

Update to all, I went yesterday and again no luck and not a sight of deer even with the weather that was perfect. I guess I will see if I can find another place to hunt since now you'll need the daily access permit and that kind of ruins the morning hunt since my afternooons are busy usually. 

You need lots of spots

On 11/1/2020 at 2:33 PM, Spear said:

You can’t cross any road.

But on the main block you can roam.

• Like 1