Is the peak rut the same time every year?

Whereareyoubuck

I see activity around the same time every year. Nov. 1st is a day that I circle on the calendar with activity ramping up a few days before. That's in 8f. I think it may vary slightly by region like maybe a few days later in Long Island(just a random example). 

In my area between November 10th- 15th has been the peak. I keep a daily log and look back for data number of critters, weather And rut activity etc! I say keep a log and do your own research instead of relying on other peoples data. Every area is different.

From my own observations, over more than four and a half decades of deer hunting, the "MAGIC DAY" is November 11th. And the five days on either side of that are really good too.  This is the time in my area, where you will see a mature buck standing in the middle of an open field, walking along with nose to the ground oblivious, or just acting "dumb".

This is the period where the majority of the doe's are just about ready to breed, but not quite ready to stand for a buck. But that "sweet scent" is everywhere! And driving the bucks crazy! 

Of course there will be individual doe's that will come into estrous, from the middle of October on. Leading to some  very intense localized buck action!! But starting on or about November first, the "seeking" and "chasing" will really intensify, leading up to what I call the magic day of Nov. 11th. Shortly after this time, the action will slow down as the bucks tend the doe's. But as soon as they spend their "time" with the doe, they will be off to find another. So usually until the end of November, a hunter could catch a buck on the move, looking for a doe.

This all falls pretty much the same time year, after year, after year.

• Like 10

same time every year, can be surpressed by warm weather etc but if you look the does are bred, or at least a majority  are bred the same time every year, and dosnt matter if u see it or dont it happens,,,,and being in the right spot matters alot on a 90 acre property one day i saw 8 diffrent bucks another guy same day same property saw nothing

Edited by land 1
spelling

I would have to say it's the same time every year. God rest his soul, Charles Alshiemer, who did a ton of research on moon phases and the rut. I do think it does have some bearing on it, the moon is a powerful pull on animals.  The "solunar times" for fishing are spot on more often than not. But for the most part, does come into heat and the rut takes place the same time every year.  I've seen great buck movement from Oct 27th thru the 14th (once gun season hits, it's harder to gauge in my opinion).  I'd say, any day in the stand in November is time well spent.  It's all day sits this time of year!

Edited by genesee_mohican

Same time every year but moon phases, weather, and hunting pressure can make it seem different every year.  Many studies have shown that the majority of does in the Northeast are bred on November 15th within a 24 hour window (meaning November 14 - November 16).  Heavy seeking and chasing does is not breeding does.  Such activity will come and go from late October to late November.  But most does (not all) will be bred around November 15th every year.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:29 AM, Whereareyoubuck said:

Today I read something that said the peak rut is the same time every single year, and is not affected by moon, weather, temperature, food, etc. First time I've heard this? 

It never has anything to do with the moon, weather, temperature, or food.

7 hours ago, luberhill said:

So woods or open fields peak rut ?

game trails and anywhere doe will be or bedded.  Fields a lot of times they are on the move across and not just grazing anymore, but if you have trails into those fields or field edges those are good.  Hunting fields a lot of times in the rut you might see a lot of deer but they arent just hanging out there.  I like to hunt where does bed if you can find these spots and hunt trails going in or out.