Wool

Buckmaster7600

I'm with Moho on this one. Call Customer Service and see if they can do anything. They may not, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I wouldn’t feel right doing it, it’s not like the seam let go. I wouldn’t wear a pair of boots for a year and call the company because they wore out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just goes along with having balls as big as grapefruit and enough hair on your chest to weave an Army blanket...
Pansy-asses get  15 or 20 years out of thier Filsons.....>....

I always chuckle when I hear people talking about still wearing their dads or grandpas woolies and they still look new.

• Like 1

Moth damage is often found in the crotch of wool pants. 

I just dealt with moths in my NYC apt - helpful hint, don’t let your wife bring home a vintage fur coat. 

Had to remove everything from every closet, put all the clothes through a dryer cycle then bag and seal, spray all the closets and crevices with toxic shit, wait a day, then wipe every surface down with nothing but water. 

Wouldn’t wish moths on my enemies. 

Have you ever tried Korean War era wool pants?  I swear by them (not at them).  I think you could get a pair on Ebay for $40-$50.  They are real wool, pretty light and have no liner.  Just a thought.  I believe they M-51 wool pants.  The only problem I have is finding the right size.  As you can imagine they are kind of picked over by now.

Edited by stubborn1VT
typo

21 minutes ago, left field said:

Moth damage is often found in the crotch of wool pants. 

I just dealt with moths in my NYC apt - helpful hint, don’t let your wife bring home a vintage fur coat. 

Had to remove everything from every closet, put all the clothes through a dryer cycle then bag and seal, spray all the closets and crevices with toxic shit, wait a day, then wipe every surface down with nothing but water. 

Wouldn’t wish moths on my enemies. 

Never saw a cloth eating moth up here in Dogpatch.....Just crotch crickets and bag beetles...

Must be a result of our CLEAN LIVING here  in rural upstate NY....

• Like 2

Have you ever tried Korean War era wool pants?  I swear by them (not at them).  I think you could get a pair on Ebay for $40-$50.  They are real wool, pretty light and have no liner.  Just a thought.  I believe they M-51 wool pants.  The only problem I have is finding the right size.  As you can imagine they are kind of picked over by now.

I have, problem is I have big legs and a big ass so I wear 40-34 pants and there weren’t many fighting in Korea with those dimensions!

Even when I was in the marines I struggled to find pants that fit me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I wouldn’t feel right doing it, it’s not like the seam let go. I wouldn’t wear a pair of boots for a year and call the company because they wore out.

I hear ya. Still, at that price tag, wouldn't hurt to call.. from the website:

"We guarantee the lifetime of each item made by Filson against failure or damage in its intended usage."

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

16ce73e2f6be336c5785921c386e2710.jpg
First light pants new for for Nz early muzzleloader. So much for the fangled stuff holding up better. 190$ and they don’t hold up for a month of my use.

I will send first lite an email and see what they say.

I hope they make it right. 

• Like 2

Hunting techniques have changed drastically over the past couple of decades, this board is good evidence showing most are sitting in some sort of blind or stand. There are not many putting their clothing through the stress and wear that occurs while still hunting and tracking does putting on many miles and years of service. 

I have a two pair of USA PA Woolrich pants and coats that are decades old, worn alternately season after season for Hare hunting and Deer hunting along with cold weather varmint hunting and they are still in great condition. I can't exactly say the number of miles put on those pants but they are substantial. Yes they are out of style, corny looking and heavy but they have quality something that seems to be lacking with the designer stuff being marketed today.  I have Hare and Deer hunted in those USA Woolrich clothes in bitter cold weather from sunup to sunset and stayed warm and dry and while my age keeps me from hunting as hard as I did as a  young buck when the weather gets bad the Woolrich clothes are what I hit the timber wearing.

One more thing The "John Rich" Woolrich gear is not the same or nothing like the USA PA made Woolrich

LLBean still markets hunting wear made from wool, I have a light jacket and a pair of their pants that I wear at times and they seem to be very good quality.

There are some decent looking Canadian Wool Hunting clothes marketed but I have no first hand knowledge of their quality.

Johnson hunting Wool is still being made, their reputation has always been pretty positive.

Hunting Apparel - Gostwear.com Homepage | All your workwear needs in one place

Wool Hunting Clothes - Woolen Outerwear For Hunting (johnsonwoolenmills.com)

As for moths no problems, all my hunting clothes these days get sprayed down with Sawyers including the cold weather Woolrich.

The only way to get the real deal today is on ebay

Hail to the us made PA tuxedo!:good:

2021-09-29_110949.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 5

I love wool as well sitting right now with King of Mountain jacket and Stormy Kromer wool pants i found for $15.00 at an antique place.  Picked up another brand new pair of grey stormy kromers for $40 at a swap meet and pair of Safty Back green ones for $25. Just retired my codet green ones as wore out in the crotch like yours

586B453C-B9B6-4FA6-9AFA-9AAED2CDF98F.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Trad bow said:

Stormy Kromer wool pants i found for $15.00 at an antique place.  

I found a like new Stormy Kromer wool vest on ebay a few years ago that I like a lot, don't wear it hunting but do wear it a lot in cool weather instead of a jacket. Have a couple of their wool hats I wear a lot too, one camo and one red plaid.

Al

What do you wear under the wool pants guys ?

Unless it gets down in the lower teens I often don’t wear anything under them. Once it gets cold I wear a merino wool base layer. I used to wear a lightweight base layer but found it didn’t do anything other than add a layer to get through when nature calls.

I wonder if you could see patches one the new ones with some of the wool left from the legs of the old ones giving double layer and may double the life .

I have considered this but I bought a pair of pants that had reinforcement wool in the crotch and the two layers wore out faster than a single layer. My guess is the friction between the two.

I’m working with a seamstress to see a material in the crotch to get them too hold up. Problem is, what material. Denim would hold up but it soaks up too much water. Any decent stretch material won’t last…

Hunting techniques have changed drastically over the past couple of decades, this board is good evidence showing most are sitting in some sort of blind or stand. There are not many putting their clothing through the stress and wear that occurs while still hunting and tracking does putting on many miles and years of service. 
I have a two pair of USA PA Woolrich pants and coats that are decades old, worn alternately season after season for Hare hunting and Deer hunting along with cold weather varmint hunting and they are still in great condition. I can't exactly say the number of miles put on those pants but they are substantial. Yes they are out of style, corny looking and heavy but they have quality something that seems to be lacking with the designer stuff being marketed today.  I have Hare and Deer hunted in those USA Woolrich clothes in bitter cold weather from sunup to sunset and stayed warm and dry and while my age keeps me from hunting as hard as I did as a  young buck when the weather gets bad the Woolrich clothes are what I hit the timber wearing.
One more thing The "John Rich" Woolrich gear is not the same or nothing like the USA PA made Woolrich
LLBean still markets hunting wear made from wool, I have a light jacket and a pair of their pants that I wear at times and they seem to be very good quality.
There are some decent looking Canadian Wool Hunting clothes marketed but I have no first hand knowledge of their quality.
Johnson hunting Wool is still being made, their reputation has always been pretty positive.
Hunting Apparel - Gostwear.com Homepage | All your workwear needs in one place
Wool Hunting Clothes - Woolen Outerwear For Hunting (johnsonwoolenmills.com)
As for moths no problems, all my hunting clothes these days get sprayed down with Sawyers including the cold weather Woolrich.
The only way to get the real deal today is on ebay
Hail to the us made PA tuxedo!:good:

2021-09-29_110949.png.12921e6396eca5d59b48a3a3ec70afe6.png

That stuff was outstanding quality but it’s too heavy of a wool for me to wear. I prefer 18oz can get by with 24oz but that stuff was eating in the 30’s and I have tried and just can’t keep cool enough in them but that’s also why they lasted so long there’s a lot more fibers to wear through.

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

What do you wear under the wool pants guys ?

Long Jon’s or jeans etc ?

Are they warm for sitting ?

Ive been wearing insulated coveralls , black, in my blind, with jeans under.

I take the coveralls off when tracking and dragging

I think denim or cotton would defeat the purpose of wool and if you were exerting yourself, just make for a miserable experience. I can't recall where I read it but apparently denim (and therefore hypothermia) is the number one killer of people who get lost in the woods. 

10 minutes ago, left field said:

I think denim or cotton would defeat the purpose of wool and if you were exerting yourself, just make for a miserable experience. I can't recall where I read it but apparently denim (and therefore hypothermia) is the number one killer of people who get lost in the woods. 

I can imagine wearing “ nothing” under wool pants

Id be itching like crazy