Wool

Buckmaster7600

Getting my crap together for tomorrow’s snow and I pulled out my wool pants that were new last year and this is what the crotch looks like. These were 325$9f36af849e407722860510a1a6af585b.jpg

from Filson.

Problem is there isn’t anything better! Every other pair of wool pants I’ve tried either has a liner or are way too heavy “thick” and both make me way too hot when tracking.

Moral of the story is I just ordered another pair and I’ll wear these until it gets cold and I break out the new ones. c56a9fd48b8a63589db0faf405a7c9d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to say that you need to lay off the beans.

As soon as snow comes I am in wools as well and we do drives.  I have never seen Filson wool so I cannot speak for their thickness or quality.  I have always had Woolrich wool hunting pants in grey.  I personally think it the best camouflage out there.

Murdoch's – Woolrich - Men's Malone Wool Pant

There are so many options out there. 300+$ pants should last. I would go with first light, kuiu, or Sitka before I bought the same pants again. Filson makes high quality classics, I fear they are runming on name and reputation and im not positive that they are keeping up with new technologies.. Crazy is defined as doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There are so many options out there. 300+$ pants should last. I would go with first light, kuiu, or Sitka before I bought the same pants again. Filson makes high quality classics, I fear they are runming on name and reputation and im not positive that they are keeping up with new technologies.. Crazy is defined as doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome.

None of those companies make wool without liners or other crap in them. Nothing performs like real virgin wool, I’ve tried them. Yes they last longer but they make more noise.

I’m not expecting a different outcome. I accept that I’ll only get a year or two out of them. Just like my Lacrosse boots I know I’m only getting 1 deer season out of them but it’s the same situation no one else makes a boot that performs as well as the lacrosses so I buy a new pair every summer.

I agree with the boots statement, 3rd pair of lacrosse, wont buy different rubber boots. Grew up with all of my uncles and older cousins plus my dad swore by felt and wool. However I find much different results with quality new technology in clothes.  Quiet dry and warm in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Getting my crap together for tomorrow’s snow and I pulled out my wool pants that were new last year and this is what the crotch looks like. These were 325$9f36af849e407722860510a1a6af585b.jpg

from Filson.

Problem is there isn’t anything better! Every other pair of wool pants I’ve tried either has a liner or are way too heavy “thick” and both make me way too hot when tracking.

Moral of the story is I just ordered another pair and I’ll wear these until it gets cold and I break out the new ones. c56a9fd48b8a63589db0faf405a7c9d1.jpg

That sucks

I agree with the boots statement, 3rd pair of lacrosse, wont buy different rubber boots. Grew up with all of my uncles and older cousins plus my dad swore by felt and wool. However I find much different results with quality new technology in clothes.  Quiet dry and warm in my opinion. 

There’s some awesome new technologies in clothing, I have kuiu and first light wear them for stand hunting but for tracking there’s nothing that does what real wool does.

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

What brand did you get. I’ve been using smart wool for years now but their quality is definitely not what it used to be so I’m in the market for something different.

I bought one of the packages that SKRE sells and it came with both. 

Buy an electric UTV and never worry about making noise or needing another pair of wool pants again.

I actually hated to go deer hunting with my family when I started to hunt, as everyone made me wear Woolrich clothes and I'm allergic to wool.

There are so many different offerings of pants made in every type of material today, you should be able to find something to replace your pants.

You proved that they don't make em' like they used to and after spending that much money on a pair of pant's, only to have them fall apart in less than a year's time, I wouldn't try them again, unless they sent me a new pair for free.

I was going to say that you need to lay off the beans.
As soon as snow comes I am in wools as well and we do drives.  I have never seen Filson wool so I cannot speak for their thickness or quality.  I have always had Woolrich wool hunting pants in grey.  I personally think it the best camouflage out there.
woolrich-1990-nc-main.jpg&key=68e12736bef64a90d75d21dc42e0e21aa54bc3047da655793047447b09631542

These are my Woolrich from a few years ago, same outcome. It is what it is, I don’t feel it’s a quality issue with brands, just that it’s a natural fiber that wears out. I guess I could stand hunt and they might last 50 years. 19a3868b4a54bf9de0202a3956808304.jpg
796b5f47c0c15a788dd377fd449552b0.jpg