Truck for my wife

BigVal

My wife decided she is going to trade in her jeep (I hate them so does she now lol) for a half ton pick up. Let's make this a classic chevy vs ford vs ram debate with real world experiences. Obviously we all know shit happens to them all ( I was just reading the tranny thread) but I like as much real world info as I can get. Itll probably come down to what we can get the best deal on but maybe not. 

So itll be 4x4 with a 4 door cab. Which seems pretty standard these days actually. 

I have a 2009 f150 4x4.  It's got 170k I've put 120k on it myself had it for 6 or 7 years now.  Cant complain besides tires and breaks never had an issue put new plugs in it last year and that's it.  Does good in 4x4 only thing I dont like is the ass end is really light but that's pretty common in the fords from the ones I've driven. 

I will say I almost bought the Chevy sitting next to it but my truck was 4k cheaper with less miles and 2 years newer.

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I will note watch out for the newer f250s I hear they have a steering issue if you hit a bump just right you cant steer.  It's called the death wobble videos on YouTube of it.  

plus they ride like a lumber wagon.  Unless your hauling heavy stuff 150 is plenty of power.  And rides wayyyyyy smoother. All are about the same.  Chevy, Dodge, Ford,  best to drive each and see what she likes best.  I have a new 150 and i like it but nothing wrong with the others either.  

Oh and stay away from diesel- no advantage to a diesel anymore and the DEF is a PITA. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

If cab space is important then compare them all ,you'll see the ford has by far the roomier back seat of them all. As far as other options ,that's up to your intended use . Mine has the 2.7 EcoBoost, I work with a bunch of guys who have the 2.7 or 3.5 ecoboost ,those are great engines . The 3.5 had an issue when it first came out that people like to bring up as if it's still relevant. Plenty of people pulling campers with the smaller 2.7. Mine really only sees city driving for the most part and is currently reading 19.5 mpg ,a guy i work with who does a bunch of highway miles is seeing 23.5 for his average. The larger fuel tank should be on the list of most haves ,at fill up it says 7oo plus miles til empty which is nice.

• Like 1

2017 Nissan Titan Crew Cab for me.
Bought it March of 2018 with 4500 miles and currently have 52,000 miles with no complaints. At the time I couldn't beat the price either. I tow a 16' fishing boat, 5x10 trailer with a Polaris Rzr on it and it handles both those very well. I also added a light duty plow and most likely will never go back to snow blowing again.
234cda2f1021a33901df36993cc3728d.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I will note watch out for the newer f250s I hear they have a steering issue if you hit a bump just right you cant steer.  It's called the death wobble videos on YouTube of it.  

That's dodge not ford ,dodge has been fighting it for years. I was behind one on the 400 that got it ,I thought the truck was coming apart ,when I finally passed him the poor kid driving was white as a ghost LOL

I have a f-150 and love it great gas mileage and dependable. I had a Nissan Titan and still kick myself in the ass for getting rid of it but it only had the suicide back doors and a small backseat for 2 growing boys. As for Chevy there’s a reason why all the lots are littered with them! Nothing but electrical problems.

Hands down Ford for my family !

i have a 18 Ford F-150 King Ranch ... this sucker has EVERYTHING !!!!

even massaging seats !!!

ive owner them all,, and towed a 20 ft Ranger Bass boat all over the NE...

the fires ALWAYS held up for me ...

I don’t like the looks of the GM trucks ... seems cheap to me ...

good luck 

1 minute ago, Cory said:

I have a f-150 and love it great gas mileage and dependable. I had a Nissan Titan and still kick myself in the ass for getting rid of it but it only had the suicide back doors and a small backseat for 2 growing boys. As for Chevy there’s a reason why all the lots are littered with them! Nothing but electrical problems.

I always said , you want a deal on a used Chevy truck go to a Ford dealer ! Tons of trade ins 

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys, I should update with some background. The truck we buy will probably tow a 9k pound camper like 4 or 5 times a year, and some lighter stuff more regularly. It would be nice to have it get good mileage like Jeremy was talking about, and I have a hd truck for my heavier stuff. I'm a older cummins nut (haters keep on hating) lol. But would be nice to tow our camper with the half ton so that it's a nice ride for us and our someday kids. 

I bought an '05 Colorado in '05. It was only the first or second production year of their straight 5 cylinder motor. I know this model isn't necessarily what you're looking for, but wanted to share the experience. 

In the 4 years and 75k miles that I owned it, it was one headache after another. Head gasket at 35k, electrical issues, faulty gauges, and the spare tire mech broke. I literally had it back in the shop every 6 months.

Maybe it was just bad luck or that it was a new engine model and I was the guinea pig.. Either way it would make me hesitant to by GM again. 

38 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

Tundra 

8681A5EC-0284-49F7-A456-B3BA0E881E4A.jpeg

Yup, Almost 200k on my last Tundra, only got rid of it because rodents ate my wiring harness. Had it fixed and traded it in for more than I thought I'd get. Never did a thing to it except brakes, tires, and oil.

Got an '18 Tundra now with about 30k.

Good on you with the Yamaha ATV in the pic. I've got a pair of those with the oldest being an '03. Never had a problem with those either.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

That's dodge not ford ,dodge has been fighting it for years. I was behind one on the 400 that got it ,I thought the truck was coming apart ,when I finally passed him the poor kid driving was white as a ghost LOL

Trust me, it's ford.  21k on my 350, and it feels like 250k.  Neither of my 3500 Rams ('14 and '17) had any front end issues with over 60k on them.  Looking forward to getting rid of this POS this summer. 

Edited by mowin

I've had 2 new Chevy's and 2 new Rams. The Chevy's are really nice, the Rams are really nice, the ram has more power, faster and bigger interior. MUCH better MPG even with the Hemi. The most rear seat room in the Crew Cab goes to the new model Rams, then Chevy, then Ford. (look it up...) That being said, my next truck will definitely be a Ford F150, they tow better than the Ram (1/2 ton) and they hold their value better and honestly, I just like the design more. Oh those Toyotas though... So nice.

If you don't already have "a guy" at a dealership, PM me, I have a really good WNY contact who sells every brand. 

Edited by Don_C
  • Like 1