Truck for my wife

BigVal

Currently in a 15 ram 2500 6.7 hemi it's a machine....bad on gas (12.5 town 14 highway) but not much she won't tug along. I love it.

Before that I had a 12 ram 1500 5.7 and loved that too. Really a nice truck no issue towing my boat from Rochester NY to Erie PA. But upgraded to tow my camper. Mine had the 6 speed trans not the 10 (I think it is) so I didn't get as food gas milage if I remember right I got 17 or so

I have driven a few of the newer rams with the 10(I think lol) speed in them and they get way better gas milage than my old one. The ride is super smooth and the interiors are really nice. Most guys I've talked to about them average 20+mpg

Have also driven a f150 with the 6cy turbo and what a riot that is but idk if I'd want to fix it if something did go bad. Ford interiors are awesome! Another buddy just bought a 19 tremor package f 350 Diesel and wow that's all I can say lol!

I had a 08 chevy 1500 before the ram 1500 I'd be hard pressed to buy another one as that one fought me all the way to the day I traded it in.

Toyota hold their values so we'll!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigVal said:

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys, I should update with some background. The truck we buy will probably tow a 9k pound camper like 4 or 5 times a year, and some lighter stuff more regularly. It would be nice to have it get good mileage like Jeremy was talking about, and I have a hd truck for my heavier stuff. I'm a older cummins nut (haters keep on hating) lol. But would be nice to tow our camper with the half ton so that it's a nice ride for us and our someday kids. 

You'll be in the 3.5 or the 5.0 for that weight trailer , i got the trailer package on mine that came with 3.55 gears ,not sure what the gears are for the 3.5 or 5.0 if they are different . Do some research on the back up assist ,its pretty cool. 

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

That's dodge not ford ,dodge has been fighting it for years. I was behind one on the 400 that got it ,I thought the truck was coming apart ,when I finally passed him the poor kid driving was white as a ghost LOL

Oh my bad thanks for the correction.  I've seen videos it doesn't look like it would be fun.

16 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Oh my bad thanks for the correction.  I've seen videos it doesn't look like it would be fun.

I hadn't heard of it on a ford but there  has been people reporting with ford too . We're either both or right or both wrong LOL

All of my life I have driven pickup trucks. Had all major brands. Some were better than others, but most were ok. Since I am now an official old fart, I have a Honda Ridgeline AWD. It is the best ... by far. It rides like a cadaverlac, gets good mileage and hauls / pulls everything I need it to. 

• Like 1

Buy whatever model you want but don’t skimp on the back up camera. It came with the 2013 F150 I bought in 2017 and it was a game changer when it came to backing into parking spots AND hooking up the trailer. I can hook up our camping trailer on the first shot with no help every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I hadn't heard of it on a ford but there  has been people reporting with ford too . We're either both or right or both wrong LOL

There are some Ford SD’s with death wobble but it is becoming less, and less common from what I see.  As you said about the early 3.5’s(assuming intercoolor freeze up) the Superduty’s as a whole get a bad rap for death wobble.  It’s unfortunate that Mowin is dealing with that. I did hear somewhere though, might have been YouTube, about a lawsuit against Ford regarding death wobble.   For reference, one of our 2012 1 ton’s has it, but its beat to snot plowing roads/cul-de-sac’s with a 9’ V-plow.  Sometimes it’s as easy of a fix as torquing the trac bar bolt up top, they require in the ballpark of 396 lb ft of torque, crazy tight.  Not trying to prove you wrong, or anything....just know your a Ford guy too.  

I don’t have experience with 1/2 tons Big Val, only first hand experience with 3/4, and 1 tons.  FWIW, a coworker has a 19 F150 3.5 with “max tow” package....he loves it, has over 20k on it, been great.  He wants to add air bags to the rear to assist in the camper he pulls.  

Edited by Bionic
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bionic said:

There are some Ford SD’s with death wobble but it is becoming less, and less common from what I see.  As you said about the early 3.5’s(assuming intercoolor freeze up) the Superduty’s as a whole get a bad rap for death wobble.  It’s unfortunate that Mowin is dealing with that. I did hear somewhere though, might have been YouTube, about a lawsuit against Ford regarding death wobble.   For reference, one of our 2012 1 ton’s has it, but its beat to snot plowing roads/cul-de-sac’s with a 9’ V-plow.  Sometimes it’s as easy of a fix as torquing the trac bar bolt up top, they require in the ballpark of 396 lb ft of torque, crazy tight.  Not trying to prove you wrong, or anything....just know your a Ford guy too.  

Its not brand specific, it's the front solid axle.... Jeeps for example can do it too. Dodge is known for it due to poor design poor components. Ford does it too when they wear.

Every brand has hit or misses, from snowmobiles to lawnmowers...first year vehicles usually have their share of recalls, some were just bad ideas.

Chevy and toyota have the highest resale value for a reason. 

Even names known to most people as the best have their issues, in their flagship vehicles. Honda's cr-vs all wheel drive system fails, they finally fixed it...issues with accord transmissions....

Manufacturers get deceptive with recalls too....for example fords transmission not going into park or falling out of park and running the owner over gets "fixed" (or atleast they try to over and over) while they fix a seat switch that will set you on fire gets "fixed" too...these are called batch recalls... so they only get listed as having one recall while having many issues.

Chevy motors power our world, most of the boat market, hotrodders(ls swap) ski lifts(double chair gore mountain) the list goes on and on.... parts are everywhere and they are considered bullet proof. They are even fords most favorite engine swap.

2 minutes ago, Modern hillbilly said:

Its not brand specific, it's the front solid axle.... Jeeps for example can do it too. Dodge is known for it due to poor design poor components. Ford does it too when they wear.

Every brand has hit or misses, from snowmobiles to lawnmowers...first year vehicles usually have their share of recalls, some were just bad ideas.

Even names known to most people as the best have their issues, in their flagship vehicles. Honda's cr-vs all wheel drive system fails, they finally fixed it...issues with accord transmissions....

Manufacturers get deceptive with recalls too....for example fords transmission not going into park or falling out of park and running the owner over gets "fixed" (or atleast they try to over and over) while they fix a seat switch that will set you on fire gets "fixed" too...these are called batch recalls... so they only get listed as having one recall while having many issues.

Chevy motors power our world, most of the boat market, hotrodders(ls swap) ski lifts(double chair gore mountain) the list goes on and on.... parts are everywhere and they are considered bullet proof. They are even fords most favorite engine swap.

I did not rag on any brand lets make that clear...

I was talking to Jeremy because he said he hadn’t heard about it in Ford too much.....that is what my post was about.  Nothing about Chevy, or engine swapped this, or that.  I can add plenty to the Chevy comments, negatively...but I am not like that.  I don’t rag on what people own, or choose to buy.  I firmly believe one should stick to whatever they have had luck with, and or simply prefer.  

• Like 2

Have a 2014 f150 5.0 86000 miles on it now. I have been very happy with it except last month the water pump decide to explode and sent the impeller into a thousand pieces but, a hundred bucks and all fixed. Knock on wood no other problems but I’ve heard from a bunch of people that’s a common problem.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them really, however i have heard of the newer ford 5.0s burning 2 quarts of oil between oil changes. I drive an older chevy diesel from right before they started getting crazy with the emissions, but am thinking about getting a ram next and possibly going back to gas. I don't like being at camp when its below zero and wondering if the truck is going to gel up the next morning or not. 

I’m a F-150 guy all the way, I suggest sticking with the 5.0. 

Unless it’s a 2018...they are known for oil consumption issues. First time Ford truck owner here (bought it because of the aluminum body hopefully not rusting) and I hate how the 10speed tranny shifts and the oil consumption issue. Hoping it gets rectified under warranty soon.

2 minutes ago, onlybrowning said:

Unless it’s a 2018...they are known for oil consumption issues. First time Ford truck owner here (bought it because of the aluminum body hopefully not rusting) and I hate how the 10speed tranny shifts and the oil consumption issue. Hoping it gets rectified under warranty soon.

Yup, this is what i was talking about. Ive had many people tell me their dealer said its completely normal for them to do that which to me is complete BS. Ive also heard that fords "fix" was them putting a longer dipstick in so it will show more oil being in the pan, but I'm not sure if thats true or not.

I have always been a Chevy guy but i have not bought a new pickup yet this millennium.  My 2000 is still going strong though.  I got to use it a little last week.  I gave it to my father in law, to keep the snow plowed at his Adirondack retirement home, a couple years ago.  

My newest Chevy is a 2020 equinox, and so far, so good with that one.  I have been driving GM trucks exclusively,  since 1982, and have not yet needed to have one towed.

Edited by wolc123

Yup, this is what i was talking about. Ive had many people tell me their dealer said its completely normal for them to do that which to me is complete BS. Ive also heard that fords "fix" was them putting a longer dipstick in so it will show more oil being in the pan, but I'm not sure if thats true or not.

Not to derail, but they do put a longer 2 qt range dipstick in as part of one service bulletin. The threshold is still 1qt in 3k miles. I have to run premium fuel in my or it detonated as well. 12:1 compression...

Mine is getting new cylinder heads or a short block once they put a dye in the oil to see where it’s being consumed.

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

I don’t have experience with 1/2 tons Big Val, only first hand experience with 3/4, and 1 tons.  FWIW, a coworker has a 19 F150 3.5 with “max tow” package....he loves it, has over 20k on it, been great.  He wants to add air bags to the rear to assist in the camper he pulls.  

I thought i read for 2020 they beefed up the track bar in the front end to get rid of any potential death wobble. 2021 might have a whole new design too. 

34 minutes ago, onlybrowning said:

Any and all manufacturers have problems, even Toyota’s . I own 2 so I can say that.GM had oil consumption in their 5.3 from 07 to 2012 with their active fuel management engines . It’s s crap shoot with any of them. It just depends  on what you want to put up with and fix. My 2014 f-150 with the 5.0 actually has very few reported problems and has a high reliability rating. So in a nut shell one needs to do their home work before buying.

Have a 2014 f150 5.0 86000 miles on it now. I have been very happy with it except last month the water pump decide to explode and sent the impeller into a thousand pieces but, a hundred bucks and all fixed. Knock on wood no other problems but I’ve heard from a bunch of people that’s a common problem.

Yep. 2013 with the 5.0. Mine went on the highway with around 110,000. I was in the middle of the work day so I paid to have it fixed and picked it up after work.

20 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I thought i read for 2020 they beefed up the track bar in the front end to get rid of any potential death wobble. 2021 might have a whole new design too. 

We have 2 - 19 f250’s at work we use for shop and plow trucks and have never had the death wobble. Not saying older models didn’t have it but seems newer models are fixed. 

• Like 1

I’ve owned new Nissan, Dodge, GMC and 3 Chevy in a row. I driven for work Nissan, Toyota, Chevy.

The only one I would never buy again is a Dodge. Too bad cause personally the have the best looking truck and interior planning. Ive has the best experience with Chevy and Nissan. I just won’t buy foreign anymore. And yes I know that’s a mix as all vehicles are made of stuff from all over. Bottom line American owned company gets my support.

I don’t dislike Ford it’s just I think they are overpriced. I’ve looked at Fords two of the last three times I’ve bought and got into the Chevy for thousands cheaper. Usually 4-5 grand cheaper for the same class/size truck.

I think you can get bad/ good trucks from any of them.

I’ll call myself a Chevy guy as all of them I’ve had have done me right and resold very well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Modern hillbilly said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/news/amp30286700/gm-recall-pickups-stalling-fires-antilock-brakes/

Bullet proof , I think not .  Scroll down to the bottom of the link several manufacturers  have recalls and yes even Ford. None of them are bullet proof. NONE ..

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

There is a TSB on the track bar and steering linkage. This has been a well known issue with superdudy for several years.  Supposedly, mid '19 they beefed them up.  Mine is a early '19.  Most guys are buying aftermarket parts for almost $2000.00, and this fixes the issue.  I refuse to spend that kind of money on something that should be correct form the factory. 

Edited by mowin

I say Tundra if you want used. I dont have much expereince with trucks, but from what i see the Fords and Toyotas are at the top. Toyota is just known for vehicles that run and run with few problems (but lack on the electronics) and the fords are pretty reliable and have a lot of features. Personally Ill be getting the 2022 model Tundra next october as my first truck. Only knock I can really give the tundra is the gas mileage. No way around the fact it doesnt get good milage