Mondays high wind

fadetoblack188

I had one of the biggest bucks I’ve ever laid eyes on walk by my stand on a very high wind day. It was probably 20-30 mins before I seen him the wind actually blew a very large tree down about 40 yards behind me , talk about a butt puckering moment. I never heard him come in till I caught his movement to my left   I drew my bow and he just never gave me a good shot.This was like 10-12 years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday. 

Deer depend on their eyes and ears for defence...they do not like windy days. That said if the rut is on the bucks will still be running and the does likely running from them. I try to find areas that are out of the wind. Low spots, lee sides of hills, etc. 

I will not hazard it  though if the winds can be considered "dangererous", that is with branches etc. coming down, or enough to get my tree swaying noticeably.

I’ve noticed more movement on windy days versus calm days. I personally think the noise and wind mess with their senses and they don’t like to sit still perhaps because they can’t pinpoint exactly where the noise/scent is coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, fadetoblack188 said:

Will you still be sitting in your stand?  Or will the wind slow the deer movement?

Don't know about the deer but I think they will move when the urge is there regardless of the weather.

I do know I won't be sitting in a tree if the wind is much above 10-15 mph. It is not fun sitting in a tree with the wind plus the wind make it feel a lot colder.

I live and hunt in the Southern Zone where only archery season is open. The forecast is for winds of 29 mph with gusts to 54 mph. I will not hunt tomorrow for safety which is most important. But of equal importance is that shooting a bow in high winds is highly inaccurate and unethical to me. I doubt that many hunters practice with their bows in high winds and how could you possibly draw in a 29 mph wind and release an arrow when the wind might gust to 54 mph after you release the arrow?     valoroutdoors.com 

• Like 1