Need help

First Time Hunter's

So I started hunting in the 5J area, since it started up there last weekend. I've been up there twice, same public land same spot. Can't seem to see anything more then a couple squirrels and birds. Am I doing something wrong, besides being a rookie? Also does anybody hunt up there looking for a partner they are willing to share their knowledge withm

4 minutes ago, First Time Hunter's said:

So I started hunting in the 5J area, since it started up there last weekend. I've been up there twice, same public land same spot. Can't seem to see anything more then a couple squirrels and birds. Am I doing something wrong, besides being a rookie? Also does anybody hunt up there looking for a partner they are willing to share their knowledge withm

I hunt 5J sometimes, I am one of the last people to seek advice from though.  I have only seen 2 does while hunting up there....over about 5-10 full day sits.  Some monster bucks up there though, and they do show in daylight.  As mentioned by the previous poster, keep at it, right place/right time in larger wood tracts.

14 minutes ago, First Time Hunter's said:

I'm hunting at Lincoln Mountain State Forest, just because it is public land and free to hunt on. I'm just wondering if there are just too many people hunting at the same time as I am.

I mainly hunt stateland.  I dont know this piece but I always tell people if you are on a piece that's 1000 acres theres going to be pockets of that piece from 20-60 maybe 100 that will hold deer all the time.  Doesn't matter if it's a ton of pressure or none they will favor some spots more.  If theres a ton of hunters you need to figure out where they are going.  If they hunt close to the road go in deeper if they are going deeper hunt closer to the road.  Deer lay down enough sign to know where they are at but if your in a low density spot like the adirondacks your going to have to work harder than most in the state to find good spots and deer.

24 minutes ago, First Time Hunter's said:

I'm hunting at Lincoln Mountain State Forest, just because it is public land and free to hunt on. I'm just wondering if there are just too many people hunting at the same time as I am.

There absolutely can be too much pressure.  Deer will stay nocturnal or move to safety zones. Start scouting mornings and evenings and dont make a move unless you see fresh sign. Deer will move more in daylight but they hardly ever give up safety. Watch the hunting public or the hunting beast to better understand public land.

Like others have said, dont give up.. I have always been sucessful year after year(knocking on wood). But have sat, or walked many miles,without any sightings or success... Time in the woods is what it is about for me. Pay attention to where others are and use that to your advantage . hunt transition zone and corners on unfamiliar lands.

Welcome and it takes time dont expect to see something every sit.  You can have a great piece of private and still not see any.  Look for sign and pinch points.  Bucks are laying down a ton of sign right now.    Just keep at it and dont give it.  Good luck
I can attest to this. I have a virtual honey hole and I haven't seen squat in 3 weeks. Keep your chin up. They will come

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

If your not having fun you need to make a change. I break up deer hunting with all kinds of other hunting and make sure when I go in the deer woods its time to kill. I go in kill weather, in a kill location, on a kill moon, in a kill tree, to kill deer. Lots of other game to take the presure away from my deer experience. 

9 hours ago, left field said:

I'm getting a little frustrated as well. Combination of mistimed walks into my stands and inability to sit for more that 90 minutes without going crazy. Still no deer while I'm sitting.

I get frustrated too, I just think back to my biggest buck who changed my life in a blink of an eye.  When I get frustrated, I continue to be driven by thinking back to how it all changed in seconds. I don’t mind full day sits though.  I hate leaving early....If I hunt, I 9x out of 10 sit all day.