polaris winch problems

I have a 2007 Polaris 700 EFI with a Polaris winch, which I use to plow with. Today while plowing out the driveway the winch would let cable out but not in, so I cant raise the blade. When I hit the "in" button, on the handle bars, it justs clicks but wont take in the cable. The "out" mode works fine. Any ideas?????

I have a 2001 500 sportsman and the dealer mounted my in the water proof area under the seat towards the back . Mine looked like it was up in there but the wires go under the seat area nd into the waterproof storage area

Check the engage dial on the winch itself. I have had this happen when it got bumped and wasn't all the way in operate or freespool. It worked one way and not the other but I can't recall which.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Looks like I have to take off the front fenders to get to the thing !! There are 100 better places to mount it and they put it on top of the frame under the front fender!!!! Should of bought a Honda

Winches are not usually installed at the factory, the dealer adds that stuff most of the time. They all install them slightly differently. Hondas included.

I have a 2001 500 sportsman and the dealer mounted my in the water proof area under the seat towards the back . Mine looked like it was up in there but the wires go under the seat area nd into the waterproof storage area

Check the engage dial on the winch itself. I have had this happen when it got bumped and wasn't all the way in operate or freespool. It worked one way and not the other but I can't recall which.

First thing I thought of.

Thanks fasteddie. Sounds like my problem to a T, right down to the crappy location of the solinod. I'm really gonna hate taking this thing apart. I have'nt looked close yet but I hope theres just one big bolt that holds all the front plastic on......and that I hit the lottory

Edited by ants

This morning I tapped on the selonoid with a long screwdriver and the winch worked fine for a while then stopped. I tapped on it again and it's been working ever since. I'll try to clean the selenoid connections first, if that dosn't work I'll shell out the $100 for a new one. Thanks for all the info......big help

I would check around for a solenod. I bought brand new winch from harbir freight for $59.99 for one of my other 4 wheelers. I looked it over and I could use the parts from the and interchange them with my winch on my polaris. as both winchs have two wiring points on the winch. I was thinking about buying another one to convert my polaris over to a rocker switch on the handle bars to get rid of the big dial switch mounted on the front fender.

I had problems with my warn winch and after a few google searches it turned out that there was a recall on the solenod and I was sent one for free. Now currently two years later I'm having problems again. Not sure if it's the solenod or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive my ignorance but I'm clueless on electrical stuff... I have a multimeter but what do I set it at and how do I use it to test power at the winch itself. I have the meter set at DCV-20 I just use it to test batteries (12 volt car..ATV etc..)

Thanks

Well I would start from the battery and check all your points towards the winch. Hot side of the switches, selenoid and winch itself. go to ground against the frame since you probably won't have enough lead to get to the battery.

if you have a good selenoid, battery is good and the winch isn't burned out there has to be a bad connection someplace.

I know I asked this before but is the winch making any noise at all? Are you sure it is in gear and not free spool.

Are you sure there isn't another switch? Mine actually has a toggle and then the switch onthe fender to operate. without the toggle in the ON position the whole system does nothing.