Ready for southern zone opener next Saturday.

wolc123

I needed to do a little more shooting with my new crossbow to get ready.  My old backstops worked ok with my old 300 fps Barnett Recruit, but were not cutting it with my new, 370 fps Centerpoint sniper.  

The local Runnings had one of these $ 59 Hurricane bags left on the shelf.  I am all dialed in now at 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards with the 4 crosshairs on the stock Centerpoint scope. 

I also picked up a couple more 9f dmp tags at Runnings today.  I have only ever filled one of them with my crossbow (on a big button buck in 2018).  I am due for one of those again this year and now I am ready.

20201101_131319.jpg

• Like 2

I'm ready! Been doing the work around the house (mowing for the last time, storing the mowers, keeping ahead of the leaves, putting snow tires on the car, turning water off to the barn, etc.) so weekends will be free to hunt. Shot the crossbow last week and it's ready too.

I am ready, been ready, I like crossbow a lot.  I find it a lot of fun to shoot. Can’t wait to sit in my fresh tower!

I picked up a fresh 3 pack of lighted Mission bolts for my 400.  I want to see an orange streak! 

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

I will switch over next weekend to using the crossbow. I like being able to use different weapons through deer season. 

They all bring their own challenges 

I no longer bow hunt, but I do plan on using two crossbows this season.  My 370 fps Sniper is a bit front-heavy, so I will use that one from my stands that have good shooting rails.  

I have a couple of hang-on stands, in prime locations, that will be much better suited for my 300 fps Recruit.  That thing is much lighter and handles as easily as my Ruger 10/22 carbine.  It also has a lighted dot sight that would be better in the low light conditions of the deep woods.

The downside of the Recruit, is that it's lower speed limits effective range to 40 yards, while the Sniper packs plenty of punch, to reach out to 50 yards.  I now have (6) deer tags that are good for crossbow season. I would be thrilled if I could take one deer with each of my crossbows, but I would be very thankful for just one.

7 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Better to hunt with a crossbow in SZ and take any deer than hope for a buck in NZ , IMO !

To each their own I suppose. I think hunting over a food plot is baiting deer, but that's just my opinion. That's the great thing about an opinion, we are all entitled to our own.

:dance:

• Like 1