Has anyone used one of those heaters in a blind?

Sir-diealot

I was just wondering if anyone has used a heater of any kind in a blind or stand and any insights you may have in using them?

I am hoping I will be able to stay out longer as I often have to stop because my tailbone, hips and back will start hurting quite badly in the colder/damper air and I won't take my Oxycodone when I handle a firearm. Another reason I am thinking of using a heater is I am losing a lot of weight and do not currently have a decent parka for hunting, just my Carhartt that does not keep me very warm at all and I don't want to buy an expensive parka that will be to big on me come this time next year. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/mr-heater-big-buddy-portable-propane-heater-18000-btu?a=1836544

I have a $40.00 gift certificate to Sportsman's Guide and they have this model I could get for 102.00 for the unit and carry bag to go with it. I could also get the quick connect hose that would allow me to attach to a 45 gallon tank 

I have also had frostbite on my hands and feet and though my feet are not normally a problem my hands don't really feel cold, they just go straight to pain and I am also hoping to with that since I truly hate to wear gloves at any time.

Edited by Sir-diealot

Have 4 buddy heaters , 2 little, one big, and a green bottle top..  the little buddy is great but i found a hose ans 20 lb lp tank is a much better choice than 1 lb bottles.  I dont use the 1st hour or last hour as the glow i feel will spook. Game.  Gf loved it today in the glass tower i built while it was so windy and snowing. 

• Like 1

I got the Buddy heater as well to use in the pop up blinds. I originally bought the heater for the kids for when they were small and tagged along with me on hunts, but I still use it regularly during gun and muzzleloader season. It's the cat's ass in on those bitter cold days, as it sure helps me justify putting more time in the blind hunting! I even have a single burner on a bottle of propane in there for warming up a can of soup and coffee. OK, call me a puss... :pardon:

• Like 5

When I was hunting in Saskatchewan the outfitter gave every client a Buddy heater. Not sure how cold it will be where you’ll be hunting but we were in anywhere from 10 degrees to -30 and never once was I cold. One word of advice I do have is that if it’s that cold bring something to wrap around the bottle because about half way through it will literally freeze up on you. So what  I did was kept one tank near the heat and when the other bottle froze up I would put the warm tank on and take the frozen tank and put it near the heat. I hunted box blinds and pop up blinds and once the heat was going for a bit all I had on was UA 5.0 thermals and UA sweatshirt and took the coat off

• Like 2

Thank you all for the replies, another quick question I meant to ask is how easy do they tip? I was thinking of cutting a small piece of plywood or maybe using an old cookie sheet to place it on to stabilize it. Sorry I can't reply to each of you, have to head out trapping shortly.

This is the blind I got by the way, I lost my balance and fell through my other blind during Spring turkey season so it gave me an excuse to buy another. OX5 Hub Hunting Blind from Barronett scqPA5I.jpgexzzF9r.jpgexzzF9r.jpg

Edited by Sir-diealot

4 minutes ago, Sir-diealot said:

Thank you all for the replies, another quick question I meant to ask is how easy do they tip? I was thinking of cutting a small piece of plywood or maybe using an old cookie sheet to place it on to stabilize it. Sorry I can't reply to each of you, have to head out trapping shortly.

Spend the few dollars more and go with the buddy heater, much more stabile then its smaller brother. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir-diealot said:

That is what I was thinking looking at the pictures and it only weight I think 3 or 4 more lbs.

If you look at cabelas you can find refurbished ones that are alot cheaper. I bought one not knowing it was refurbished. The thing is brand new and works awesome. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sir-diealot said:

I was just wondering if anyone has used a heater of any kind in a blind or stand and any insights you may have in using them?

I am hoping I will be able to stay out longer as I often have to stop because my tailbone, hips and back will start hurting quite badly in the colder/damper air and I won't take my Oxycodone when I handle a firearm. Another reason I am thinking of using a heater is I am losing a lot of weight and do not currently have a decent parka for hunting, just my Carhartt that does not keep me very warm at all and I don't want to buy an expensive parka that will be to big on me come this time next year. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/mr-heater-big-buddy-portable-propane-heater-18000-btu?a=1836544

I have a $40.00 gift certificate to Sportsman's Guide and they have this model I could get for 102.00 for the unit and carry bag to go with it. I could also get the quick connect hose that would allow me to attach to a 45 gallon tank 

I have also had frostbite on my hands and feet and though my feet are not normally a problem my hands don't really feel cold, they just go straight to pain and I am also hoping to with that since I truly hate to wear gloves at any time.

A friend of mine bought a battery powered electric heated vest from a company called Pnuma and tried it out. Very effective heat system to keep your core warm which, to me, is key in sitting in a stand. Just turn the unit on and you are reasonably warm...turn off when warmed up. Battery can last 6 hours if run continuously, but most people just use for a spell, then turn off to conserve power. Turn on if you are chilled.

wear as a base layer...light weight and eliminates carrying back and forth to stands other heaters that you need to mount on stand and carry back out. If you are traveling for a hunt, you need less layers of clothing to pack for warmth. I think it's a slick way to stay warm. Cost is about $150 plus the cost of a battery. Interesting concept.

I use the big buddy in your link in my 2 car garage and have had my garage get to 90 degrees after forgetting to turn it off one night.  The good news, is its evidently safe.  I think it will be way too big to keep you warm in a blind.  On the low setting, I do not think it burns as clean as the high setting based on my ability to small fumes too.

The regular buddy size is probably the way to go and I am pretty certain there are adapters to use a regular sized propane tank, rather than the little 1 lb'er's, if you so wished.

• Like 1

I haven't used a heater yet, but I plan on using 1 this season once it starts getting real cold. I'm actually looking forward to sittng in the elevated box blind with a heater on. At my age i find it increasingly more difficult to get warm and stay warm while in  a tree.

• Like 3

I have one in my tower blind and ran a hose to a 20 lb tank on the ground below. It is fantastic. My son wont sit anywhere else lol he hates the cold. Be wary though where you run the hose. I just had to replace as over the summer a mouse chewed a hole in it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, biggamefish said:

If you look at cabelas you can find refurbished ones that are alot cheaper. I bought one not knowing it was refurbished. The thing is brand new and works awesome. 

I just checked and they are unfortunately out of stock of the refurbished ones.

6 hours ago, Merlot said:

A friend of mine bought a battery powered electric heated vest from a company called Pnuma and tried it out. Very effective heat system to keep your core warm which, to me, is key in sitting in a stand. Just turn the unit on and you are reasonably warm...turn off when warmed up. Battery can last 6 hours if run continuously, but most people just use for a spell, then turn off to conserve power. Turn on if you are chilled.

wear as a base layer...light weight and eliminates carrying back and forth to stands other heaters that you need to mount on stand and carry back out. If you are traveling for a hunt, you need less layers of clothing to pack for warmth. I think it's a slick way to stay warm. Cost is about $150 plus the cost of a battery. Interesting concept.

They do not make them big enough for me, maybe by deer season 2021 if I do not have to have all the surgeries it looks like I am going to have to. (Both knees replaced and ankle has to have something done with Achilles tendon. Thank you much for the suggestion though.

To everyone thank you all for the comments, I am going to go ahead and get the larger one though I am sure it will be more than I need, it will also serve as emergency heat if a blizzard knocks the power out during the Winter. @Fletch I am actually worried about that myself, it will be on the ground.

• Like 1