Question for reloaders

bkln

How do you fellaz split the powder to get the consistent 25 grains or whatever your load is? What do you use the dipper, electronic scale, do you measure each and every load or every 5 or 10 rounds?

Is there an easy button? :-) Let me know, Thanks

I weigh every charge on an old fashioned beam balance powder scale.

Mine is a Herter's that I bought in the early 1970s when I first got into reloading.

My reloading volume is low..Seldom do I load more than 40 rounds at a sitting, and often it is less than that, so I don't mind the extra time it takes me to weigh every charge,and I am confident that every charge is accurate..

I bought a powder measure years ago and never use it. If I were loading high volume, like pistol ammo,it would be different.

Any easy button in reloading is very dangerous. If I am loading a relatively small number of a round I load infrequently, I will hand weigh each round- especially if the load is a higher on the loading end.

I use a volume dump measure for rounds I am loading alot of ...primarily handgun rounds. But...I am very careful handwieghing in preparing the powder measure, and hand weigh every 10th round. 2 years ago I bought an electronic scale, which i love, and is much quicker

Well, yes that's what I do, do 50 rounds at the time and use the dipper and electronic scale it just takes forever but I know damn sure what I'm shooting....was just thinking what others use. I can see where the easy button can be dangerous. OK back to the garage :-)

Thanks Guys

It depends on what I’m loading, if I’m loading handgun ammo I will do one of 2 things. I have a little dandy made by RCBS it has different size rotor’s seeing I only use h110 or 296 in handgun loading they throw very good. I will also use a powder measurer and a RCBS 10/10 scale. For rifle I weigh every charge on my 10/10 scale because I for the most part load rifle with extruded powder and that does not throw well. If i were loading with ball powder I would use the measurer and the scale to set and check 1 out of 5 or 10 to make sure the measurer is still on.

The most important thing in reloading is doing the same thing every time and don’t go onto the next step till you finish the step your on. DO NOT MULTI TASK!!

Edited by Larry

I purchased a lyman dps a few years back. It is an electronic scale/dispenser. I set the amount, trickle in the last few grains to get it exact every time. While it is dispensing powder, I seat a bullet and it is ready for the next one when I am done. I gotta say it is the best investment I ever made as far as reloading. I dump the same load every time. Not only is it safer in my opinion, I find the accuracy of my loads has also improved. It was 200 bucks when I got it, but well worth it. It will do 2.7 grains for my 357 magnum to 55 grains for my 25-06.

I go just one more step than I have been reading here. I use an electronic powder scale and trickle each load. I found that my RCBS powder charger could come up with some variability, especially with the rod-shaped powders (probably due to "bridging"). So I purposely set the powder charger a couple of tenths under and use the trickler to bring the weight up to perfect every time. Yes it adds time into the process, but re-loading is usually done when I don't have a lot to do anyway (winter time). Along with meticulous procedures for the cleaning, priming, case trimming and bullet seating, I know that each loaded cartridge is as identical as I can possibly make them. I don't set any records for reloading time, but I do get the consistancy from my cartridges that can't even be bought, which after-all, is the primary purpose for reloading in the first place.