Legality of using gutless method on deer?

Gobbler Chaser

After a kill what exactly has to be brought out of the woods. I'm at a point where dragging a deer out of a remote area is impossible and getting help even harder. Removing straps and hindquarters for carrying is manageable for a long carry. But is the head required to prove sex, etc? Not looking to get bashed just asking because I still love to hunt but am at a point where dragging an entire deer carcass several hundred yards isn't going to happen.

Nature uses all the parts we don't. Dont leave.good stuff in the woods. Leave all the rest. Gutless method is totally legal.the ethics fall on what you pack out. If.your hundreds of yards from civilization its a great place to leave your waste for nature to return to the cycle of life. Make sure you bring out proof of sex on one quarter and antlers. Many guys use four wheelers and have cut trails. 

Edited by Kmartinson

legally in this state you don't have to take anything you don't want ethnically you should bring as much as possible.As for the proof of sex it does not say you need to bring it with you.Give your local DEC office a call.I did last year for my area and was told to leave my ID number somewhere with the carcass.I have a few printed and laminated in my pack.If you have this years guide booklet look on page 24 in a little black square it say "boning out deer"

Do a search on this website there was a thread last year with a lot of good info,but again call your local office.

• Like 2

Meateater podcast 227 (Red cutter - meat scientist) said that removing muscles groups before rigor sets in can cause meat to be quite tough. I guess the theory is that if the muscle is free from the bone it is able to contract more and as a result is tougher.

Doesn’t answer your legality question but just offering another thought.
I would bring a zip bag for the nuts and prick, take pics on my phone with the doe/buck head and a completed tag (that I then bring with me), and mark the GPS coordinates location with an app. If ever questioned you can show evidence that nothing is being hidden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Meateater podcast 227 (Red cutter - meat scientist) said that removing muscles groups before rigor sets in can cause meat to be quite tough. I guess the theory is that if the muscle is free from the bone it is able to contract more and as a result is tougher.

Doesn’t answer your legality question but just offering another thought.
I would bring a zip bag for the nuts and prick, take pics on my phone with the doe/buck head and a completed tag (that I then bring with me), and mark the GPS coordinates location with an app. If ever questioned you can show evidence that nothing is being hidden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s interesting , out West it’s common to just pack out the meat in game bags .

6 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

After a kill what exactly has to be brought out of the woods. I'm at a point where dragging a deer out of a remote area is impossible and getting help even harder. Removing straps and hindquarters for carrying is manageable for a long carry. But is the head required to prove sex, etc? Not looking to get bashed just asking because I still love to hunt but am at a point where dragging an entire deer carcass several hundred yards isn't going to happen.

Don't be lazy at that point.  Sorry to be blunt.  Use an old roll up sled, or a plastic molded sled you find just about anywhere to help drag it out, you'd be surprised how much easier it makes the drag out.  Or buy a cart from the big box store.  Build a cart if you have the parts.  Ive dragged alot of deer in my life, some easy and some that took hours.  Its part of the gig one way or another.

• Haha 1

On 11/2/2020 at 6:38 AM, loworange88 said:

Don't be lazy at that point.  Sorry to be blunt.  Use an old roll up sled, or a plastic molded sled you find just about anywhere to help drag it out, you'd be surprised how much easier it makes the drag out.  Or buy a cart from the big box store.  Build a cart if you have the parts.  Ive dragged alot of deer in my life, some easy and some that took hours.  Its part of the gig one way or another.

Not part of my gig. I hunt the way I want as long as it's legal. Save your pep talk.

• Like 5

I've done gutless twice in NY, both does. Took most of the meat. Full disclosure, I did not pick the neck clean and figured the foxes got a little treat. I put the tag with the meat, but did not even think about proof of gender for a doe. Both were young does and were tasty and of normal tenderness.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Don't wait until your doing it to test your gear. I had a few packs that I thought would work until I loaded them up with sand bags.I found a frame pack with a top load duffle bag and a few extra straps seems to be the way to go for me anyway. I'm going to use game bags because I have them but doubt i'll buy anymore.I'm kinda looking forward to giving it a shot.

• Like 1

Not sure on the legality, but this is what I do. Photo of the carcass before butchering. Skin, then quarters, back straps, tenderloins, neck and whatever additional scrap off the ribs, etc go into game bags. Photo of the carcass (with tag if I remember) and game bags. Pack it out leaving head if doe, taking head if buck. I use the mystery ranch pop-up frame pack that has worked well. Basically leaving the skeleton, cape and guts. Small deer can be taken in a single trip. Anything big you probably could do in one trip, but I have broken up the loads. Easier for me since I hunt solo than trying a drag out. Again, not sure if this is legal and have never been stopped by DEC.

Never had complaints about chewy meat.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My method is (deer on its back) I remove whole front legs by running blade under shoulder blades. They flip right off. Then I remove hind quarters cutting down and in right to the hip joint, I bend leg down and joint pops right out of socket. Then just cut the tendons and remove both hind legs which I secure together at the tendons with a sturdy zip tie. I then roll carcass onto it's belly and cut skin along spin and peel down to gain access to the straps. I remove the straps and put them into a plastic bag and into my backpack. I leave the front legs because I don't eat shoulder meat. I then run a cord between the zip tied hindquarters then put them in a heavy duty contractor bag which I drag behind me. If anyone has any objections to what I leave behind I'll gladly give you exact location to pick up anything I left behind. I can drag a set of hindquarters for any distance and the added weight of the straps in my pack is minimal even over rough terrain and in the dark, and all done in one trip. Hope this helps out other older hunters who are getting out of the game because of physical limitations and not wanting to risk injury by dragging out a heavy carcass. This method works for me and actually gives me more options on where I can hunt. I do this on my own property or my state land outings.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2020 at 6:29 AM, Nomad said:

That’s interesting , out West it’s common to just pack out the meat in game bags .

Yes but that doesn't mean it's the best thing in regards to meat quality. It's the only option for the greater distances. (and for cooling purposes in warmer climes.)

14 hours ago, rachunter said:

Why remove the front legs if your going to leave them? Hows the trash bag hold up dragging?

"To hell with them DEER Buzzard gotta eat,same as worms" outlaw Josey Wales

To remove the loins the shoulder blades have to be out of the way. A contractors bag is pretty heavy duty and if there's concern just double it. 

On 11/3/2020 at 6:02 PM, Enigma said:

. . . . I'm on your side lol. 

Spoken too soon on my part.

On 11/5/2020 at 1:34 AM, Gobbler Chaser said:

. . . I leave the front legs because I don't eat shoulder meat.

To each their own. Your question regarding NYS wanton waste law has been answered and your process as I understand the law is legal. Morally repugnant but legal. 

I can appreciate your circumstances (advancing age, lack of assistance and a desire to continue hunting) but with all due respect it might be time to review your methods. First suggestion would be to reach out to some people here to assist you in transporting all edible meat from field to truck. Feel free to pm me the gps coordinates as you mentioned when you connect. I'm sure i can gather up the people power to assist you when the time comes. Best regards. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Enigma said:

Spoken too soon on my part.

To each their own. Your question regarding NYS wanton waste law has been answered and your process as I understand the law is legal. Morally repugnant but legal. 

I can appreciate your circumstances (advancing age, lack of assistance and a desire to continue hunting) but with all due respect it might be time to review your methods. First suggestion would be to reach out to some people here to assist you in transporting all edible meat from field to truck. Feel free to pm me the gps coordinates as you mentioned when you connect. I'm sure i can gather up the people power to assist you when the time comes. Best regards. 

I won't be judged by the likes of you and would rather have yotes eat what I leave behind. Not interested in you or your "people's" help. I hunt alone to get away from people like you.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

I won't be judged by the likes of you and would rather have yotes eat what I leave behind. Not interested in you or your "people's" help. I hunt alone to get away from people like you.

I'm sorry you're upset you feel judged. Happens sometimes though when you post on public forum. I was sincere in offering my and my "people's" help but sounds like you have it all figured out. So, much success to you hunting solo and the whole isolationist thing. A win/win for you, the coyotes and others.

• Like 4