Culver trapping 2020

Culvercreek hunt club

I am setting traps with a buddy for primarily coyote. He's been able to monitor our sets at his place with his cell cams so we can see even the ones that approach the sets and don't engage. 

One set was a dirt hole under a stump that was near where we knew they traveled. 

39# female. Washed and drying. fleshed and put up once pretty dry. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 17

Well we connected with a nice red fox last night. It was really neat to see the pictures that came in that chronicled the catch. the blurry one I assume was at the firing of the trap.  My partner placed a blind set becasue of a couple near misses on the dirthole in the background and he got it in a duke #2.  

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 9

What are you using for bait or scent Bob? Whatever it is, it sure seems to be working!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually trying a bunch of different ones. Not hitting any specific one. While we were skinning and boarding this coyote tonight we got a cell cam photo of a fox working the same set the last coyote was caught at. We remade it at about 4 and we caught this male red at about 7. Right after we were all cleaned up. Lold40a56227f547ca393fe302f6227c455.jpg&key=22d1539454b24f4b68d7f713916a9272adc2cf027758aaa08e75cd810e06dd3c

• Like 6

I have to say I am a huge fan of the offset jaw design. We had one dirthole set that was in the bank of a farm field edge. The little 12" bank that is always left when a field is plowed. It was right adjacent to thick cover and on the west side of the field so the wind would carry the scent into the property. Well you always run the risk of incidental catches but we are really trying to minimize it by having a pan tension on the heavier side. Running about 3-1/2. pounds.  We got notification of a pic and a hen turkey had been walking that edge. Well she was in with a full foot catch when we went down. We were just finishing up the one coyote. We didn't get any pics or video becasue we wanted to turn her loose as soon as we could. I went up and place my jacket over her totally and she calmed right down. Her foot was undamaged becasue the offset jaws don't close all the way. My partner depressed the levers and I pulled my coat off her. She ran about 30 yard and stopped, turned around and almost looked like she gave us a "thanks a$$holes" look. lol.  

I know it's out of order but here is the lead up pics to the fox catch last night. We've had a few coyotes and fox skirt the set so we blind set about 5' back from the actual dirthole. One of the blind sets actually was the one that made the catch. You see his approach and the last pic is right after the catch. 

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

• Like 1

It's been really quiet around the traps over the last few nights. Hopefully the colder weather gets them cranked up again.

Partner shared a better photo of our last coyote. (little better lighting) I just love this picture. It has cover the the NYSDEC trapping reg's book written all over it...lol. I think I am going to get a print made of it. 

16-1.jpg

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

It's been really quiet around the traps over the last few nights. Hopefully the colder weather gets them cranked up again.

Partner shared a better photo of our last coyote. (little better lighting) I just love this picture. It has cover the the NYSDEC trapping reg's book written all over it...lol. I think I am going to get a print made of it. 

That's a great photo and a good looking yote!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

22lr right behind the shoulder almost no damage at all. Definitely nothing big enough that needs repair

A buddy of mine who is an experienced and very successful trapper uses a .22 CB short  behind the shoulder for yotes and bobcats...For fox and coon he stuns them with a  club between the eyes and then stomps on the ribcage to collapse the lungs..

I used the CB short on the bobcat I caught last year..Shot him in the lungs and was surprised at how quickly he expired, just a matter of seconds...The bullet didn't exit and the entry wound was so small I couldn't find it until I skinned  him....

• Like 2

On 11/8/2020 at 8:32 AM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Last nights catch. He was one of a group of three that came into the set

That's a nice looking coyote. Been itching to get out but spending to  much time chasing deer and don't have time to do both. The weather has been great but I need to try and fill a tag first.:good:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My cousin lives down in the 6R/6S area and he had some fisher on trail cams. I filed and got my permit and while down at camp I ran to his place and tossed up 5 pole sets with body gripping traps. He called me on the last night and said I had a catch he noticed while walking out of the woods. Made the inconvenient trip and checks worth it to get my first fisher. Female, will probably tan and keep this one. No one forgets their "first" ..lol It's frozen becasue I was debating a mount, but I will thaw, skin and get it down to the DEC to get it sealed. Then off the the tanner. 

set was Venison bait with Hellfire long distance call. Covered with spruce boughs. 

20.jpg

• Like 11

AND....the third turkey that stumbled into a set. Love the offset jaws and I can't say enough about using enough swivels. Released unharmed. Incidentals are something you have to deal with but try to minimize with how you set and adjust your traps. Awful lot of feet in that flock so I'm not surprised we had a catch. Learned quite a bit about releasing over this and last season. 

Now we just need more coyotes to cooperate.  

22.jpg

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Well guys. I am gonna need some help with this release....lol. 

Pic 1 is coming by the set, pic 2 is nose right in the dirt hole, pic 3 is the set off and the miss/pullout. no hair on trap so I believe it probably just pushed his foot up but I think it sure got his attention. 

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

You throw your jacket over his head and calm him down, then I’ll remove the trap.  Sound like a plan?? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1