Culver trapping 2020

Culvercreek hunt club

Well it's been a bit of a dry spell and the snow and blowing on the hill last week certainly didn't help the sets we had out. We had been using waxed dirt for the sets but had to revisit the dozen we had up there. Put another 11 out on new locations on the property end of last week and on the check this morning we were able to double on 2 nice reds. haven't been seeing the coyote movement that had shown on the cameras in the earlier season but we are on good location so hopefully we'll be ready when they make their return.  

25.jpg

24-1.jpg

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Well they say if a location is good enough for one trap it’s good enough for two. Set these in a field edge at a logging road entrance. Flat compass set in the background and a pipe dream set in the foreground. First double at a set we picked up.

Glad to see you are having some luck. I put 4 sets out last week behind the house and the only action I have had is a deer stepped in one and sprung the trap. With all the rain, snow, freeze and thaw I will probably do some re-makes and put some more out. Forecast is for some more rain in the next few day so not sure I will put more out or not. The ground here is pretty saturated making it difficult to have a confidence in the sets.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Glad to see you are having some luck. I put 4 sets out last week behind the house and the only action I have had is a deer stepped in one and sprung the trap. With all the rain, snow, freeze and thaw I will probably do some re-makes and put some more out. Forecast is for some more rain in the next few day so not sure I will put more out or not. The ground here is pretty saturated making it difficult to have a confidence in the sets.

I really just used dried dirt and peat moss last year but I can't say enough about waxed dirt. It's made it an ease to set in bad weather and maintain the sets during a freeze. We are actually using waxed contractor's sand. it's pre-sifted and once waxed is pretty dart so blending is a breeze. 

15 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I really just used dried dirt and peat moss last year but I can't say enough about waxed dirt. It's made it an ease to set in bad weather and maintain the sets during a freeze.

I was never a fan of waxing (on traps:derisive:) but have never heard of or used the "waxed sand". I have been using and had good luck with buckwheat hulls and peat moss. The traps won't freeze down  but once there is a crust on top one can only hope they fire.

My problem right now is they aren't visiting the area according to tracks or lack off. I think maybe with deer season they may be more cautious about moving as much.

I'll keep at it for a little longer and see what develops.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been pretty ...no REALLY slow since the property we have been trapping was under about 10-12 inches of snow since the storm (not counting drifts). Then with above freezing temps during the day and below at night we were considering pulling everything this weekend. Well on todays check we finally broke the drought. This was a pipe dream set, 4 coil dogless bridger #2. Bedded in waxed sand. it still pushed through the crust to make the catch. 

This is snipped out of a video but I have no idea how to do a video on here. 

Capture.JPG

• Like 10

Last Saturday we reset the entire line. Even though the wax dirt was keeping the traps working the melt and refreeze gave us a crust and we had tracks right on the pans of multiple sets. It was a full day dealing with the ice and we got 5 new set locations covered as well.  Monday's check had a Red fox on a scent post in the open field at a crop change. I carried that log out there a couple weeks ago and it was frozen in solid so we reset the trap and added fox urine. On todays check we hit a double on coyotes. Both were dirt holes. Hoping we get some more movement tonight. 

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

• Like 14

Do the cameras that send pics to your phone “count” as checking your traps in the 24 hour period? I think I know the answer but that would get more people in the trapping game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been told by multiple DEC officers it does. Also drones. As long as you lay eyes on your set you are good.
  • Like 2

Great job on the coyotes CHC . I cant believe how many of them there are now. Freakin Everywhere.
That light brownish one in the 2nd picture looks like an old dog . I wonder how many deer that bastid chewed on before you gave it its last supper . 

Not sure age but the first female we got this year was 39#. This one was 28#

Big male last night. Haven’t gotten a weight yet. There was a tuft of grass that we could see in the snow, a male was marking it. He hit it on both sides so we set both sides. That was a week ago and last night he came back to mark it again. Not sure which one he got in first but ended up stepping g in both. No cell cam on this set 6b776eb77c3864268008b41bc01314ce.jpg

• Like 13

33 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Big male last night. Haven’t gotten a weight yet. There was a tuft of grass that we could see in the snow, a male was marking it. He hit it on both sides so we set both sides. That was a week ago and last night he came back to mark it again. Not sure which one he got in first but ended up stepping g in both. No cell cam on this set 6b776eb77c3864268008b41bc01314ce.jpg

Damn!

Well last night we had a little action. We had a camera on this set so you'll see what looks like a good sized coyote come onto the set but stay back and not approach. then about an hour later 2 fox come in and only one gets to leave.  Also the pic of the big male from yesterday after the skinning. 

31.jpg

33.jpg

32.jpg

30.jpg

• Like 6

On 1/2/2021 at 6:36 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I have been told by multiple DEC officers it does. Also drones. As long as you lay eyes on your set you are good.

On 1/2/2021 at 7:22 AM, crappyice said:

Do the cameras that send pics to your phone “count” as checking your traps in the 24 hour period? I think I know the answer but that would get more people in the trapping game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I never even thought of it. My biggest issue with getting into trapping was the 24-hour rule. I know in more remote states/provinces the rule is 72-hours. But if the cell cam counts, I could just set 1 trap in front of it.

• Like 1