Sharpening a gut hook?

goosifer

Anyone have any luck sharpening a gut hook? I've tried with a conical sharpening stone on a dremel, a diamond rod on a dremel, and a diamond file by hand. It's nice and shiny, but not sharp. I'm not the greatest blade sharpener, but I understand the concepts and am generally proficient. Was hoping to be able to carry one less knife with me as this one also has a saw blade on the other side. Any thoughts?

spacer.png

I am not the best knife sharpener in the world, but I would probably try a kitchen steel rod and make some gentle strokes to it, maintaining about a 30 degree pitch.   If it is really dull now, it should not hurt it.   

There is a knife store in the village of Camillus that will sharpen any blade for $1.00.  And it comes out really sharp!   Not sure what he does back there but it is quick.  Maybe try a local pro? 

The edge on a gut hook is not used nearly as much as the edge of the main blade so it should be easy to maintain with just a good touchup tool. Those carbide V type sharpeners are very good at putting on a quick very sharp edge. The models used for archery broadheads may work best because of their small size to get in that tight area.

Al

2020-11-05_063122.png

2020-11-05_063019.png

I've tried to sharpen those gut hooks with a small-ish, round diamond &/or ceramic stone. Had some luck, but think the issue is in the availability of round sharpening tools and most only give you a short stroke. Always reverted to my old faithful Buck folding knife & gingerly running the blade between two fingers up the underside of the deer lifting the skin away from the "innerds".