New member and to hunting

Sabotage

Hello everyone. I'm a black male that grew up in NYC. I got interested in archery in March and now on the road to hunting. I've completed all the requirements needed for hunting, purchased the license and just got my tags. With so many questions, I wish I new people who hunt that can help me get started. I was just never raised in that environment so this is not a venture I can easily gain knowledge from family or friends. At 40 years old, feels like I'm starting late but this is something I want my son to learn.  He's only 3 but I do not want him to grow up thinking that the world will always be as is. As sad as it is, when people become desperate their actions may conflict their morals. COVID19 made me realize that the way of life as we know it, is not promised and with that nature will still provid. I need to be able to provide for my family and neighbors by knowing how to tap into nature's resources. If you do not have these skills, what other options do you have if there is no walmart? During COVID19, I learned how to fish, I'm learning how to grow fruits and veggies, learning first aid, set preparations for survival situations and just generally educating myself. I'm glad to be part of this community and hope I can pass on the lessons I hope to learn here to people who were never afforded the opportunity to harvest an animal to provide for their family. 

• Like 20

Welcome, and you have a valid reason for taking up the sport. I hope you can learn the joys of hunting beyond sustenance. It truly is a great way to connect with nature and respect the great gift in this earth we have been entrusted with. 

Where are you currently located/hunting? I’m sure there are plenty of folks who would be happy to help you and your son get started in this great pursuit. 

Welcome. I've just got into the woods in my late 30s. This is also my 1st year bow hunting. It's tough, you read alot online then get in the field and it doesn't always translate well. There is no replacement for time in the woods. You get used to the sounds and start to pick out the deer sign.

• Like 3

@SplitearI now live on Long island with my family. I haven't decided on where to hunt as of yet. I've been lurking around the forum and so far Westchester seems to be a place where people are recommending. (just practicing) I've just been stalking the squirrels, birds, and coons in my back yard just to get the feeling of drawing on an animal when the time really comes for me to harvest one. 

• Like 2

Welcome and congrats on what you’re doing ! Im close to 400 miles away from you , unfortunately.   I hope you can find a mentor , but keep doing what you’re doing , we maintain a large panty , so bumps in the supply chain are a non issue . Keep,learning the new skills and stock up .

7 minutes ago, Sabotage said:

@SplitearI now live on Long island with my family. I haven't decided on where to hunt as of yet. I've been lurking around the forum and so far Westchester seems to be a place where people are recommending. (just practicing) I've just been stalking the squirrels, birds, and coons in my back yard just to get the feeling of drawing on an animal when the time really comes for me to harvest one. 

I wish I was closer, but I know we have more than a few folks on LI and Westchester on here. Hopefully someone can help get you started. 

Welcome I live on LI too. You sound like the guy I work with. He's from the city too and just took up hunting/ archery. I've been in the woods for years. This year is my first year bow hunting. Last year started crossbow. I took 3 deer in total and botched them myself. You can read all you want but to get good is experience so go experience. I was out today all day unless work is reading this then I had the sniffles. Any way today I saw 2 small bucks chasing does. I actually heard them grunt. I have never seen or that in my life only on TV. I thought it was myth. Point is get out there and watch and listen. What area of LI are you located?  There is some good hunting on LI but a lot of rules and limited areas. Shot me a PM and maybe I can help you along with what I have learned so far. There is nothing like sitting in a stand all day and just soaking it in. 

• Like 5

I don't know anything about LI but do know there are some nice deer taken every year there.

1) Is there any state land? If so, see #2

2) buy and learn to use a climber

Heck buy a climber anyway and learn to use it for where ever you end up hunting. 

Welcome!

Welcome!!! Happy to have you join us!

Congratulations on all you've accomplished up to this point.

All that's left to do now, is to get your boots dirty, and get out there in the woods! You will learn something every time you go. Soon enough you'll be seeing deer. Along with so many other beautiful things that being in the field will expose to you. The more comfortable you become in the woods, the easier it will be to become a hunter. It's really not as daunting as you may think it is now. I hope you can find someone close to you, to just get you started. You already have the most important thing....the drive and desire to succeed! If you ever get up to the Albany area, hit me up! I'd be happy to take you out hunting.

Best of luck sir, in all your future hunting endeavors.

You guys are great... I had so much anxiety getting started and the support I'm receiving on my first thread is truly appreciated. Thank you @ATbuckhunter for the PM. I was told there are no deers on Long island @The Engineer, glad to hear other wise because I'd rather stay in LI. btw, "the sniffles" lol, that was funny.

Still one of the Greatest “get yourself fired up to light someone up during the first kickoff of a football games” songs!

Welcome aboard.

Take a look here for some public land access through DEP. Westchester has some great deer but access is tight.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dep/recreation/hunting-trapping.page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1