Big Woods Hunting at its Finest

The_Real_TCIII

I'm giving this a go next week. Although I won't go to far in cause well I don't want to die. 

Going up to a huge stateland area in Lewis co in hunted years ago.  Take a little still hunt and see if a bear or buck is about .  Prob not a chance in hell but it's more of an old time day when I used to hunt up there 30;years ago.

And big woods hunting is one thing to say. But without any pre scouting it's pretty tough. 

I've been in the Dacks and try a new area and walk in and find a 200 ft rock gully that you can't cross more than once. 

I won't go too far from truck and area I know I can get back. My woods skills are ok but not just walking about without knowing how to get back.  

I am gonna park at end of a don't road where a small trout stream is and a nice ridgeline. Can see a long way there on the back side of a pond.  Will still hunt that for a couple hours and see what I see. 

Made some notes.....

If I was to ever plan a camping trip up to the ADK's for a weekend of bow hunting and invited some people from here:

@Jeremy K would rather hunt in Ohio. I guess the out of state tags are cheaper then gas here.

@The_Real_TCIII would need some basic tips on using a compass by land marks ( easiest way to use one ).

We would need a search party for @Robhuntandfish of he got out of sight of his truck.

WTF, don't you people ever leave your back yards? <-------- That's a joke.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I think my wife wants to rent a different cabin for our trip next October. She wants to be closer to the lake.

I was thinking about a back country camp for the bow opener next season up on Lake Desolation. Can't be the NZ opener because it's most likely going to be a Wednesday, so the weekend of 10/1 is my plan.

Going up there to try my luck this spring for turkey, if it's not sub freezing temps and a foot of snow left. That's going to be primitive camping as well near Indian Lake.

I'm not getting any younger and my health seems to be getting worse with each year, so it's time to get off my ass and do some things I have wanted to do for many years. You never know when you're going to give up the ghost, so do it now and then no regrets later.

• Like 1

This guys videos are great and i believe he's from Poland, Ny which is not too far from where my camp is. If anyone is interested in videos of the big woods like this, another good channel on youtube is ADKTRACKER. They hunt somewhere in northern Herkimer county and get some slobs every year it seems. Some of my favorite hunting content on youtube.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Made some notes.....

If I was to ever plan a camping trip up to the ADK's for a weekend of bow hunting and invited some people from here:

@Jeremy K would rather hunt in Ohio. I guess the out of state tags are cheaper then gas here.

@The_Real_TCIII would need some basic tips on using a compass by land marks ( easiest way to use one ).

We would need a search party for @Robhuntandfish of he got out of sight of his truck.

WTF, don't you people ever leave your back yards? <-------- That's a joke.

Feeling confident this morn. Hunting within sight of the truck. Lol

IMG_20201107_063305513.jpg

• Haha 1

Made some notes.....

[mention=2694]Jeremy K[/mention] would rather hunt in Ohio. I guess the out of state tags are cheaper then gas here.
[mention=5278]The_Real_TCIII[/mention] would need some basic tips on using a compass by land marks ( easiest way to use one ).
We would need a search party for [mention=8575]Robhuntandfish[/mention] of he got out of sight of his truck.

WTF, don't you people ever leave your back yards?

I've said it many times, the first thing I'll do with a compass is crack it open and drink the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1