Nipple Advice

Splitear

Get your heads out of the gutter...

I wanted to replace the #11 nipple on my New Englander. I contacted Track of the Wolf to make sure I ordered the correct one. How ever, when I went to swap it today, I noticed the nipple is a considerable amount longer than the one that was on the gun when I bought it. It threads in fine, but that extra length does cut down on how far the hammer is traveling (just a little past half cock). Does anyone know if this is okay?

B8EF78B1-F46E-438A-8303-F3944257C4F6.jpeg

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I don't have the answer but check out the 209 conversion kit, it's a gamechanger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have really considered it. If I end up having to return this nipple, I might go ahead and pick one up. I have just heard that 209’s are harder to find than #11’s. 

friend has a TC Hawken that has a enclosed setup that allow for use of a pistol primer. Setup is probably 40 years old. Works every time. Seems to be impervious to  moisture and snow. Don't know if they make them any more. Takes forever to reload and I  would worry about the little screw-on cover falling off.  He likes it though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farflung said:

friend has a TC Hawken that has a enclosed setup that allow for use of a pistol primer. Setup is probably 40 years old. Works every time. Seems to be impervious to  moisture and snow. Don't know if they make them any more. Takes forever to reload and I  would worry about the little screw-on cover falling off.  He likes it though.

I have the TC Hawken setup for 209 primers, which I have a lifetime ( for an old man like me)  supply of....

Works great, but is painfully slow to reload ( should you need to)  and I have the same fear of dropping it in the snow/leaves and being out of business...  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I have the TC Hawken setup for 209 primers, which I have a lifetime ( for an old man like me)  supply of....

Works great, but is painfully slow to reload ( should you need to)  and I have the same fear of dropping it in the snow/leaves and being out of business...  

I’m a little disappointed, not even a small nipples joke. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 5:03 PM, Splitear said:

Get your heads out of the gutter...

I wanted to replace the #11 nipple on my New Englander. I contacted Track of the Wolf to make sure I ordered the correct one. How ever, when I went to swap it today, I noticed the nipple is a considerable amount longer than the one that was on the gun when I bought it. It threads in fine, but that extra length does cut down on how far the hammer is traveling (just a little past half cock). Does anyone know if this is okay?

B8EF78B1-F46E-438A-8303-F3944257C4F6.jpeg

You will be fine.  Next year upgrade to a nipple that takes a musket cap.  You will get a better burn and less chances of a hang fire.

Also sprinkle a few grains of powder under the nipple before you put your cap on.  You will be good to go.

• Like 1