What time will you be in your stand tomorrow

luberhill

I hope to be in position by 6:15 am. Legal light is at 6:57 at my spot.  If a buck with more than 3 points on a side or any antlerless deer shows up, I will try to post the first kill again this year.

I plan on sitting till noon, on the upper deck of my favorite stand at home, then driving down near Letchworth for the last couple hours, to sit in a pop up blind at the edge of a big corn field.

I will try breaking in my new CP sniper 370 in the morning, but I am going with my old Barnett Recruit in the afternoon.  That one handles a lot better inside a small blind.

Edited by wolc123

How did everyone do today ? 

I was in position, right on schedule this morning.  I heard a buck grunting as he approached in the heavy cover at around 8:00.   Apparently, there was a doe bedded in there about 40 yards from my stand.  I saw her get up and run deeper into the thick stuff, snorting as she ran off, with the grunting buck right on her raised tail.  I could not tell how big his rack was thru the thick brush.

I am thinking that the doe probably heard me getting into my stand before sunrise.  She could not have smelled me with the steady south wind.  Or maybe she just wanted nothing to do with the buck, which caused her to raise her tail and snort repeatedly as they ran off.

About 9:00, it was getting warm in hedgerow stand, so I moved into another stand I have that is in the woods.  I stayed up there until 11:30, then climbed down and headed back to the house.  I had not taken 10 steps when I heard crashing in the adjacent cover.  I raised my crossbow, and a young buck stepped out into a shooting lane.  

He was 40 yards out and facing straight at me.  He had a small 4 point rack and a decent sized body.  The neck was not yet swollen.  I contemplated a biz shirt pocket shot, but small rack and high temperature convinced me not to, even after he turned broadside for about 10 seconds.

Definitely would have been a good one for the freezer, because he was clearly still in the pre-rut stage, carrying lots of weight in his hind quarters.  Rack was almost perfectly symmetric and he will definitely be a good one next year.  Hopefully, he has wised up a bit from our encounter, and will make it thru. 

I spent the last two hours on the edge of a big hay field West of Letchworth park.  I saw one medium sized doe at about 80 yards just before sunset, and a larger doe trailed by a 2.5 year old buck, at about 100 yards, just after sunset.

6 deer seen, one little buck passed twice, and no shots taken.  Not a bad day and the warm temps made staying out there for most of it very comfortable.  I am looking forward to another day like that tomorrow.  

I will be over at my folks place then, which is about 1/3 of the way between where I hunted this morning and this afternoon.  The morning hunt will mark the halfway point of my crossbow season this year (next week Sunday is the last day I will be able to hunt).  That means that a buck with a single 3" spike could earn my buck tag, starting Tomorrow after lunch.  Hopefully, something bigger will show up before that.

Edited by wolc123

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I’ll be in stand by 5:45am let the woods settle a bit. It gets light by 6:20 or so and legal is 6:49. I have not needed a flashlight to walk in for over a week lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither have I, as there was a good 5/8 moon this morning.  I have to drive a bit farther to my folks place tomorrow.  I think I will pack the truck right now to save some time in the morning.  I hope i have to plug in the deer fridge tomorrow. Good luck to you.

Edited by wolc123