Harvester Crush Rib Sabot ???

88GW

I purchased the 50 cal green crush ribs designed for 44 bullets (.429-.430 DIA)after reading how they are 50% easier to load than standard sabots. All I can say is that my ramrod almost went through my hand, holy smokes they were near impossible to load. I even mic'd the bullets and they were .430. For comparison I borrowed some different sabots and bullet combos from friends. I was able to easily load TC shockwaves with black TC sabots, powerbelts, and hornady xtp with green hornady sabots. Any ideas as to why this may be happening?? I am shooting a Thompson Impact .50 cal. BTW this is on a totally clean bore.

Edited by 88GW

How many shots are through your impact? You might want to try some JB bore Paste in it. Maybe 50 strokes or so. I know TC packs there new guns with some funky grease in their barrels.

I use the black crush rib in my TC X7 with a .452 bullet.I can load it with one hand.

Have not shot it yet but it is thoroughly cleaned, bore brushed it patched it etc. Tried again today and the crush ribs were near impossible. All others still ok. BTW i contacted harvester and they are sending me new crush ribs to check out. Well see. I guess thats why all muzzleloaders are little different and u have to try what works best for that gun.

I will post a pic of the box and sabots. They are in fact hornady 44 xtp that measure .430 exactly. Is it possible the green sabots are faulty, they are sending me new ones to try and remedy this problem. Weird though that the hornadys i bought from dicks in 44 in there green hornady sabots load easier than the crush ribs.

Green Crush Rib Package for .44 bulletspost-1550-0-98149200-1327328126_thumb.jp

Hornady .44 XTP Bullets and measurementpost-1550-0-24873900-1327328180_thumb.jp

The line up Crush Rib, Hornady, TCpost-1550-0-85964700-1327328250_thumb.jp

TC's are easiest to load, with a close second to the Hornady and in last place is the Crush RIb which will force a loading rod through your hand without a t-handle.

Edited by 88GW

Harvester sent me new crush ribs but that did not work. They also sent me some scorpion pt bullets with black crush ribs that load like butter. Apparently the TC does not like the green sabots with .44's in them, guess I'll have to stick with black crush ribs and .45's. Has anyone shot the Harvester Scorpion bullets?? I have read some great reviews and seen pics of them mushroomed after recovery from an animal and they look great.

• 3 weeks later...