Getting in shape, whos doing it?

Geno C

Anyone else eating right and hitting the gym or doing some sort of training? ive been dieting for 2 weeks and back in the gym. Im joining Golds gym with my buddy, planet Fitness by myself just do do cardio every morning and i also started training MMA (Brazilian Jujitsu & Muay Thai) im so pumped! Since my diet i lost 10 lbs (prob water weight) but its a start. I was 180lbs down to 170 @ 5' 7"... i have been training with my buddy who is 6' @ 290lbs. Him and i go live 3 minute rounds on the mats, I deff come home with new bruises every time LOL. i love it tho. im amazed how good i hold up with him even tho he has 110 lbs on me. he has also been training for 4 years on and off and i am only 3 weeks in... i like rolling around being the under dog, makes me push myself.

But in any event my goal is 160-165 at around 7-8% body fat. Its a big goal as i never really have been lean enough to have been cut up the way i want to but this year is different! Hope everyone trying to get in shape is doing good and stick with it! good luck

• Like 1

And im no expert but you HAVE TO drink a ton of protein..And it sounds like your starting off a little to hard your body needs to get used to braking your muscles open and building them back up..And the protein is the #1 key to getting cut{Besides the workout itself}.Now if your loosing weight cause you think your over weight,,IN MY PERONAL OPINION,,you should not try to loose the weight but build into muscle now with that being said if you did that at 5-7 170lbs you would be a tank..And weight and size means nothing ive seen little guys beat but guys with pure fighting skills..But good luck its hard and you have to stay on top of your work out and your protein cant stress the protein enough i drink 3 a day that may sound like a lot but im allso working out hard and daily..Hope that may have helped you..Good luck

~RSS~

And im no expert but you HAVE TO drink a ton of protein..And it sounds like your starting off a little to hard your body needs to get used to braking your muscles open and building them back up..And the protein is the #1 key to getting cut{Besides the workout itself}.Now if your loosing weight cause you think your over weight,,IN MY PERONAL OPINION,,you should not try to loose the weight but build into muscle now with that being said if you did that at 5-7 170lbs you would be a tank..And weight and size means nothing ive seen little guys beat but guys with pure fighting skills..But good luck its hard and you have to stay on top of your work out and your protein cant stress the protein enough i drink 3 a day that may sound like a lot but im allso working out hard and daily..Hope that may have helped you..Good luck

~RSS~

its not protein per say, its DIET... Diet is key and goes hand and hand. A rule of thumb i go by is getting 85% of my daily protein intake in the source of REAL meals... you dont want huge quantities of protein, its key but large intakes of protein is no good and a waste. your body can only handle so much protein in one sitting and the rest is just that, waste... you have to loose weight such as water and fat to gain any goals what so ever. your body looses weight but you may not see a huge drop in weight while your body builds lean muscle. i will never be a stick lol. ive has a stocky build for 10 years.

Edited by Geno C

BTW fat does not turn into muscle, you burn it and drop water weight. Muscle stretches fill in with acid and recovers. in turn you must loose weight to build. its impossible to get in any kind of shape while maintaining fat.

Hey last I checked round was a shape!!! :D Just kidding! Luckily my line of work keeps me fit. Everybody's body requires different things. Some require more excercise while others require more dieting and then there are some that need both. Luckily I am able to eat anything I want, in moderation of course, and with a little bit of weight training and my physical job I am able to stay healty. I am not ripped or anything but of course that requires extreme dedication and is a whole other topic.

BTW fat does not turn into muscle, you burn it and drop water weight. Muscle stretches fill in with acid and recovers. in turn you must loose weight to build. its impossible to get in any kind of shape while maintaining fat.

I highly disagree muscle is made of up something like 80% water has little to no water involed.And protein is a key if you dont belive me google it the protein in shake and pretty much made out of natural prtein such as milk..My good freind and workout buddy at one time was allmost 240 and a little less that 6 foot tall and now he is a monster..LIke i said workouts come down to a lot of personal opinion and what works good for one might now work good for all..I have had very good results with my workout with has 3 smaller protein shakes a day made with real fruits..There for i do get a lot of natural protein but the shake is a great and much needed boost after a hard work out!

And if your working out hard and not using protein i can allmost bet my life that you will not see the results you want to you would have to eat 5 to 6 three or four course meals a day to keep up on protein and for me thats just impossible.Like i said a lot has to do with what your body can take and what works for you.I have been working out for years and have great results i must be doing something right!

Good luck

~RSS~

Geno, I'll add to your statement. A normal healthy athletic person only needs 35 grams of protein per day to which, yes, you can get in your normal meals, easily. You can get your 35 grams in one serving of steak. Sure, competitive body builders need more protein and their bodies are accustomed to it over time. Those protein shakes are only important if you're not getting enough protein in your system through your daily food intake. Otherwise it's just a gimmick. If your body isn't accostumed to the exess amount of protein then the extra doesn't get processed and comes out the other end of your digestive system. At 5'7" and 170 lbs, Geno doesn't need more than 35 grams.

The building muscle to lose fat does have some truth to it. The more muscle mass you have, the higher your BMI. In simple terms, BMI is basically the amount of food you need to eat to maintain your current shape, not lose, not gain. If you increase your BMI but don't increase your food intake then essentially you're dieting. With more muscle, you burn more fat in the for the same activity if everything else stays equal.

Edited by Elmo

While I agree regarding enough protein intake I must add that it goes beyond that. You must also consume foods that boost up your body's production of testosterone. That will not only help on your growth and stamina but it also affects the removal of fat in the chest area and stomach area not to mention help out with your stamina with the ladies!!!

I highly disagree muscle is made of up something like 80% water has little to no water involed.And protein is a key if you dont belive me google it the protein in shake and pretty much made out of natural prtein such as milk..My good freind and workout buddy at one time was allmost 240 and a little less that 6 foot tall and now he is a monster..LIke i said workouts come down to a lot of personal opinion and what works good for one might now work good for all..I have had very good results with my workout with has 3 smaller protein shakes a day made with real fruits..There for i do get a lot of natural protein but the shake is a great and much needed boost after a hard work out!

you can disagree all you want... facts are facts, to much protein is no good. Depending what your goals are there are MANY different diets to accommodate many goals. NOW, having said that back you protein theory. From what i gather from you are taking protein shakes 3 times daily. my question is are the shakes 100% pure whey or are they meal supplements? If they are 100% pure whey with little to no carbs and no fats then really in reality your ARE depriving your body of the much needed key factors such as Fats (EFAs), Carbs, Aminos and so on... AND if you are taking a meal supplement shake, well then do the math you are getting little nutrients and beneficials from REAL meals and to many meal supplements is NO GOOD. No offense but you sound like the average 18 year gym goer who knows little about how the human body works. not to mention your taking in all that surger while your taking in all those protein shakes? thats horrible...

ive seen guys who work there ass of daily in the gym and still look like shit due to diet and above and beyond that just simply NOT eating what you need to eat when you need to eat it. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT, ITS JUST THAT SIMPLE!! you do what works for you but anyone taking meal supplement shakes eating dairy while taking in surgers will put weight on but in my honest opinion NOT the kind if weight you want to put on. your buddy who is 240 is prob bloated looking maybe? soft look, puffy but hard? im just taking a stab so no pun intended... a soft look guy at 240 would look better at 205 - 210 lean. Your preaching to the quire, i have buddies who are tanks and monsters and thank their diet for it everyday along with workout dedication. They NEVER thank protein alone... look at any body builders diet you will not find one who says protein, protein, protein. Your body need carbs, it needs fats it needs aminos and so on. instead of preaching to me on what i need to do you should do alittle more reading. my ORIGINAL POST was whos been dieting and working out, NOT can someone help me with my diet. ill take in what anyone has to say but when someone is so quick to dismiss facts, then whats the sense??

Edited by Geno C

Geno, I'll add to your statement. A normal healthy athletic person only needs 35 grams of protein per day to which, yes, you can get in your normal meals, easily. You can get your 35 grams in one serving of steak. Sure, competitive body builders need more protein and their bodies are accustomed to it over time. Those protein shakes are only important if you're not getting enough protein in your system through your daily food intake. Otherwise it's just a gimmick. If your body isn't accostumed to the exess amount of protein then the extra doesn't get processed and comes out the other end of your digestive system. At 5'7" and 170 lbs, Geno doesn't need more than 35 grams.

The building muscle to lose fat does have some truth to it. The more muscle mass you have, the higher your BMI. In simple terms, BMI is basically the amount of food you need to eat to maintain your current shape, not lose, not gain. If you increase your BMI but don't increase your food intake then essentially you're dieting. With more muscle, you burn more fat in the for the same activity if everything else stays equal.

very good points elmo... the average guy working out in the gym and looking to make some noticeable gains should be at around 100grams of protein a day, which is so easy to achieve in the source of meals. when i went from 160 to 190lbs a few years back i was at 300 grams of protein, 150 carbs, 60 grams fat (EFA) everyday...

but like someone else said, each person goals are different and each persons body responds differently to different things.

While I agree regarding enough protein intake I must add that it goes beyond that. You must also consume foods that boost up your body's production of testosterone. That will not only help on your growth and stamina but it also affects the removal of fat in the chest area and stomach area not to mention help out with your stamina with the ladies!!!

well once you tend to get in shape test levels spike a bit naturally in turn your sex drive starts to go through the roof LOL!

I started at the begining of the year... Down 11 pounds.. doing cardio, weights and eating right... drinking was cut back to one night a week... Feel a lot better but still want to drop 60 more...

Thats a great start! and wish you luck in reaching your goal. If you stick to it im sure you will be VERY happy

• Like 1

very good points elmo... the average guy working out in the gym and looking to make some noticeable gains should be at around 100grams of protein a day, which is so easy to achieve in the source of meals. when i went from 160 to 190lbs a few years back i was at 300 grams of protein, 150 carbs, 60 grams fat (EFA) everyday...

but like someone else said, each person goals are different and each persons body responds differently to different things.

You and I are pretty much the same built. I'm 5'8" and 175 lbs. 10 years ago I was able to eat whatever I want and still be at 145 lbs with 5% body fat. Then age kicked in, metabolism slowed down, and I jumped to 175 and 16% body fat. I went back to the gym but my progress leveled off so I turned to a friend of mine who's a personal trainer and he set me on the right path. I was able to get back down to 160 lbs and 10% body fat last year but this past year involved a lot of beer drinking and down right laziness. I haven't been to the gym since April and haven't ran since end of July. Needless to say, I'm back to 175 lbs and 12% body fat. All this talk is giving me a little more motivation to get back to the gym.

I try real hard not to get too obsessed with anything, but in the winter months my wife and I do show up at the YMCA about 3 times a week to work out on the weight machines and some of the cardio machines and occasionally the pool that they have there. Old geezers with the right insurance get free membership. It's not a big deal, but it is just a minimum effort to keep the weight under control and break up what might otherwise be a couch-potato existance. Of course this winter, weather has been so great that I have been able to do more useful and interesting exercise up on the hill and yard activity. I do regard gym activity to be just exercise for the sake of exercise and really nothing useful is accomplished there. Clearing brush, grounds-keeping activities and hours of uphill hiking and scouting at least have a purpose, and also provide enough activity to keep the body functioning.

What foods help increase testerone??? If you have any tips please feel free to post them up... Need all the help I can get...

Generally foods high in zinc like oysters and beef and beans. Other foods are garlic, broccoli and cabbage. There is a ton of info on the web that can help you out.

Is there any food that will help add an inch? Cuz you know us guys...we never complain about having an extra inch......to our biceps. I don't know what you pervs were thinking about.