Getting in shape, whos doing it?

Geno C

When I lived in FL, myself and some buddies were using anabolics and we got pretty big on it. Within a couple of months of not using it, it turned to flab and its been a struggle dealing with it ever since.

anabolic steroids? or over the counter?

Most muscle turns to fat when someone stops lifting because most guys lift to get big, less reps more weight. when your muscles stretch and you get bigger and then stop you are more prone to getting flabby. BUT you can blame diet as well, if you stop working out all together everyone who stops usually dismisses diet and starts eating anything and everything at anytime. So its easy to confuse the 2. if you stopped working out and still watched what you eat you would be surprised to see that it would take your body longer to fall off.

When you stop working out, you burn through less calories so you should consume less. The act of stopping your work out is instant where as your body has to re-adjust and that is not instant. If you're eating 3000 calories a day and you're burning off 1000 from working out, your net is 2000 calories. The moment you stop working out, your body still feels it needs 3000 calories at first so when you only eat 2000 calories, you're going to feel hungry. A lot of people still continue to eat 3000 calories as if they're still working out when they're not.

This topic is an entire forum worth of debate.

mass = calories & protein

cut = cardio + just enough protein, carbs, cals to stay out of ketosis

Creatine works, juice works

whey is #1 all around, but casein is slow to digest = better for overnight

This is exactly why I got out of the weight lifting bb scene. I couldn't keep up within all the scientific you need this and you need that mumbo jumbo.

oh yeah and...

I pick things up and put them down.

I run every day about 3 miles, also was lifting weights from the age of 16. I never took any of the protein drinks or stuff like that. Now at the ripe age of 48 I stopped lifting about a year ago. Doctor told me to lose some weight and try to knock down my triglycerides. They were at 250-6 months ago. I went on a low carb no sugar diet. Lost 15 pounds and the triglycerides went down to 80! Now do I stick to this diet entirely? No, I drink lite beer and eat pretty much what I want on the weekend but not over-doing it. During the weak it's salad, fish, peanuts and oatmeal. Don't overlook the power of oats and peanuts when trying to lower blood cholesterol levels. The no sugar really helped also. I have always been in shape but as we know age catches up with you. The pills put me in the hospital 4 months ago so diet and more cardio was my way out.

Good luck all!

I run every day about 3 miles ..........

Run? ....... Run? ....... I haven't ran since third grade. I'll admit that if you were going on a grizzly hunt, I'm probably the guy you would want along that you know you could out-run in case of a charge ....lol.

If man were meant to run he would have been born with 4 legs and a tail. Seriously .... most of the runners I know or have seen are trotting along the highway gulping down all those hydocarbons. It must be great when one of those diesel dump trucks go ripping by with the nice thick black stuff spewing out. The treadmill and/or stationary bike do the job for me.

Funny sounding dietary additives....... Usually you find out 10 years or so down the road that you shouldn't have done it. I'll stick with my veggies, meat and potatoes. No "test tube" muscles for me. I'll probably last long enough with just that. Actually, I've got to admit that it's not my goal to live so long that I get to continuously drool, crap myself and spend my days staring at my slippers......lol. That ain't fun.

I agree with Doc., could never see running unless someone was chasing me with a knife! My son in law runs every day no matter what. (nuts in my opinon). I also told my kids they can change my diapers,feed me with a straw, wipe the drool off my face & chin & wheel me down to a pond & stick a fish pole in my hands & let me sit there all day just don't put me in a home! Proabaly won't know the diff. anyway..

Lots of interesting reading here....mostly misinformation, but interesting nonetheless. Whenever you see someone who has "bulked up" and claims that such is the result of extra protein intake, think, "No it ain't!" Whenever you see ordinary people with extra-ordinarily large muscles, think, "Chemical enhancement!!!" The big boys ain't getting big by ingesting more protein...they are ingesting something else. Getting "big"...or, developing excessively large muscles should never be the goal of a sensible fitness program. So, look at the "Hulk-types" with a jaundiced eye. And, remember: Those who use steroids or other such chemicals designed to add muscle mass...have no balls!

I found this topic very intereting also . I agree with some and disagree with others. However,whatever lifestyle someone chooses is his, or her business and I try not to give to anyone advice if their actions don't interfere with me. So this is not judgemental.

I've exercised most of my life so it is my lifestyle.I now eat almost no processed food by choice.and I am married to a great cook who can make any dish a gourmet delight. I do what I do because I like it. Also, In recent years, as I got up in age, my blood presure went up and had other issues when I went on periodic binges and not exercising. Even though I've been an exerciser, during my younger years I smoked almost 3 packs a day, and ate pizza almost every weekday.So I did not always follow the lifestyle that I have lived for the past 10, or so years.

I try to saltwater fish from my kayak 5 days a week (weather permiting) from Late April into November and intermitantly after that and. I need to keep my body in some sort of shape to paddle in currents and sometimes against the wind. I'm hoping to do this for a lot longer.

I mostly hunt and fish alone and when I get back to waterfowling I want to be able to carry my decoys, chair, gun, etc. to my spot in the woods, which could be almost a mile, or paddle to my secluded spots and set up my dekes to hunt for the day. I don't want to depend on anyone to help me do what I should be able to do myself.

I realize that at some point I will no longer to be able to do what I do, but I'm not going to stop without a fight because I LOVE what I do. I have a friend almost 20 years older then me who still kayaks and I hope some 60 plus year old guy says that about me when I'm in my 80's..

I have a pretty strict diet (thanks to my wife) and work out daily. I used to be the daily gym guy but after having kids it became a real hastle. So a couple of years ago I purchased a home gym and now I use that. I do wide grip pull ups, dips, push ups, and crunches. I rotate the pull ups/dips and do push ups and crunches everyday. My wife doesn't complain about my body so I must be doing something right :)

Lots of interesting reading here....mostly misinformation, but interesting nonetheless. Whenever you see someone who has "bulked up" and claims that such is the result of extra protein intake, think, "No it ain't!" Whenever you see ordinary people with extra-ordinarily large muscles, think, "Chemical enhancement!!!" The big boys ain't getting big by ingesting more protein...they are ingesting something else. Getting "big"...or, developing excessively large muscles should never be the goal of a sensible fitness program. So, look at the "Hulk-types" with a jaundiced eye. And, remember: Those who use steroids or other such chemicals designed to add muscle mass...have no balls!

And you know this because...?

.......during my younger years I smoked almost 3 packs a day, and ate pizza almost every weekday.So I did not always follow the lifestyle that I have lived for the past 10, or so years........

.........I have a friend almost 20 years older then me who still kayaks and I hope some 60 plus year old guy says that about me when I'm in my 80's..

How does that saying go? ..... "If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself" ..... lol. I've had the same kind of years of health self-abuse, in fact I went 30 years without ever seeing a doctor. The smoking and drinking and eating whatever I wanted ...... yup, I did it all. I have never been babied ..... lol. Sounds real bad, but I will say that I enjoyed every darn minute of it, and don't regret having lived a pretty full life. Wouldn't change a thing.

As far as the kayaking eighty-year old, I have always marveled at some of these guys that never seem to really age. But I have to wonder how much of that is really controlled by genetics. Most (all) of these active old timers that I know never worked out in a gym a day in their lives, or really did any of the health-obsessed activities that we use our time and energy with today. And then of course, we all know or have heard about the guy(s) that was skinny as a rail, had a program of regular exercise and diet control and then died at 50. So even though I have started a belated physical fitness regimen going, I have no illusions about climbing Mt. Everest or running marathons when (or if) I hit 80 ...... lol. My main concern is enjoying my stay here for as long as it lasts, and not getting too obsessed with trying to live forever. The fact is, it just ain't going to happen.

Not neccesarilly true, some people are blessed with good genetics. I got accused one time of taking steroids. I was doubling up on creatine but not steroids. Lift heavy and watch your diet and you can get pretty big. Now the pro's are obviously using but not every ordinary joe who looks huge is. Some do it right. Now sports players they should be force to use drugs, especially baseball. With out the drugs none of the sports are worth watching.

These pros you speak of...do they look like muscle bount wrestlers who have no neck and biceps are so big they can't reach back to wipe their own ass or do they look like professional scocer players. Because, frankly, I don't mind wiping my own ass.

No i agree i don't want to looked like a muscle bound meat head lol..But building mass is hard to do with out protein!!

For the record, creatine is an unnecessary supplement that is used to build egos, not improve fitness. Most who use creatine...use other "supplements" as well. What is wrong with simply exercising with traditional methods...without the use of unnecessary, abnormal supplements, for the purpose of improving fitness, rather than falsely boosting someone's fragile ego?

If you are on the juice...you are on the juice. Do not try to claim otherwise! Unnatural, abnormal muscle bulk is not only ugly...it is unhealthy!

Protein does not build muscle....hard work builds muscle. Exra protein, above and beyond what is needed to support life can be dangerous. At the very least it will over-tax the kidneys!

For those who ingest excessive amounts of protein...or ingest any of the common (and dangerous) supplements around today.....Their ego has over-rulled their brain.

Protein does not build muscle....hard work builds muscle. Exra protein, above and beyond what is needed to support life can be dangerous. At the very least it will over-tax the kidneys!

For those who ingest excessive amounts of protein...or ingest any of the common (and dangerous) supplements around today.....Their ego has over-rulled their brain.

You actually do need protein to build muscle... Muscles are made primarily from protein building blocks (amino acids)... when working out, muscles break down and are rebuilt using these proteins which aid in the rejuvination process.. that is how muscles grow. It is true that OVER consumption of protein can be very dangerous.. but protein is absolutely necessary to build muscle. You cannot build muscle without it.

Edited by nyantler