Best cold weather gear for stand sitting

luberhill

Start with a Merino wool baselayer, just my 2 cents.  I just threw a fleece baselayer over my Merino wool and the shakes stopped almost immediately.  I'll throw my down pants and jacket back on when I get to the stand.  Also, @moog5050 muffs are the best for your hands.  Last year's hand warmers, are not.  They seem to lose heat after 4 hours or so.

21 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Start with a Merino wool baselayer, just my 2 cents.  I just threw a fleece baselayer over my Merino wool and the shakes stopped almost immediately.  I'll throw my down pants and jacket back on when I get to the stand.  Also, @moog5050 muffs are the best for your hands.  Last year's hand warmers, are not.  They seem to lose heat after 4 hours or so.

I like your post ; so what’s Merino wool ? 
And muffs? Where’d you get them ? 

42 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

X2 on the hand muffs.  Essential equipment IMO. 

absolutely never wear any cotton....it holds moistue and acts to cool you. Synthetics or wool are your friend, and fluff is your friend (thickness...fluffy insulations...think down, polarloft, etc).  It is amazing how much heat a head/neck gator/muffler helps. Same with your feet. surround your feet with foam or thick wool liners and NO COTTON SOCKS.

When it is really cold, (below 20 or very windy) I use the large disposable warmers and put them in my shirts chest pockets, boots and hands. If it is REALLY REALLY cold, I put them in the upper arms of my shirts. I love my extreme cold synthetic fleece bibs from cabelas, and outer bibs on top to help keep the kidney heat in.

In extreme cold i use the following:

base layers - silk

next layer - thin wool

next layer - thin quilted wool

merino wool socks

camo pants/shirt

fleece top

heated vest (AWESOME)

Down bibs

Down parka

Thin liner gloves

thin outer gloves

Beenie cap

face mask

and a rabbit lined hat in case i get cold lol (stays in pack mostly)

hand warmers

toe warmers

heated boot insoles (rechargeable, cordless, remote control, also AWESOME)

Most of the time I need to get dressed outside lol

Coldest to date with this set up was -17 with wind chill and was ok for a 6 hour sit in a hang on about 18 feet up. . 

• Like 2

Squirrel what type of boots are you wearing with those heated insoles.... Also do you buy the boots a size bigger for use with the insoles?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Boots are normal size. I remove the existing insoles and insert the heated ones. Boots are just cabelas 1200 gram thinsulate. Forget the model. I’m sure they are discontinued by now tho. The insoles are the red thermacell ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an old Eddie Bauer goose down vest, that I wear over my bibs and under a jacket, and that helps out a lot.

To keep your core warm, you got to control the heat loss from your extremities.  A chemical handwarmer in a muff takes care of your hands.  Mickey boots and wool socks takes care of the feet.  A good, winter face mask and wool hat takes care of the head.

A good wind break helps a lot. I have a few blinds that have solid walls towards the prevailing wind direction, but even a big tree will do the trick.

One last warm up trick, that has a few side benefits (hydration, nurishment, deer attractant, cover scent), is a quart thermos of hot cider.  6 minutes on high on the microwave heats it plenty, prior to heading into the woods.  I have also used a pot on the stove in my camper, at remote locations, to heat the cider before filling the thermos.

Edited by wolc123
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I have an old Eddie Bauer goose down vest, that I wear over my bibs and under a jacket, and that helps out a lot.

To keep your core warm, you got to control the heat loss from your extremities.  A chemical handwarmer in a muff takes care of your hands.  Mickey boots and wool socks takes care of the feet.  A good, winter face mask and wool hat takes care of the head.

A good wind break helps a lot. I have a few blinds that have solid walls towards the prevailing wind direction, but even a big tree will do the trick.

One last warm up trick, that has a few side benefits (hydration, nurishment, deer attractant, cover scent), is a quart thermos of hot cider.  6 minutes on high on the microwave heats it plenty, prior to heading into the woods.  I have also used a pot on the stove in my camper, at remote locations, to heat the cider before filling the thermos.

Definitely gonna try the hot cider! I usually bring coffee. Thanks for the tip. 

6 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Tried hot cider once.....

Loving it until I got up to move around.  Gurgling started, and I barley had enough time to get the pants down before I lost my grip.   It wasn't pretty.  

Heated insoles are fantastic.  I've got the ones you can remove the batteries. I've got a second set of batteries charging while I'm out hunting. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

In extreme cold i use the following:

base layers - silk

next layer - thin wool

next layer - thin quilted wool

merino wool socks

camo pants/shirt

fleece top

heated vest (AWESOME)

Down bibs

Down parka

Thin liner gloves

thin outer gloves

Beenie cap

face mask

and a rabbit lined hat in case i get cold lol (stays in pack mostly)

hand warmers

toe warmers

heated boot insoles (rechargeable, cordless, remote control, also AWESOME)

Most of the time I need to get dressed outside lol

Coldest to date with this set up was -17 with wind chill and was ok for a 6 hour sit in a hang on about 18 feet up. . 

I started reading and pictured this:

image.png.32f9362091673a4c44b0f9caef71909a.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I picked up a gallon on the way home from work yesterday and will be bringing a quart along tomorrow.   It is always cheap and readily available at this time of year.

On this same weekend, in 2018, a big 8 point snuck in from downwind, just as I was putting the shiny silver cup back on my cider thermos.  He must have really liked the smell of that cider.  He got away that day, as I was not able to get off a shot with my crossbow

The following week,  I was a little better armed, and I managed to do him in with my shotgun, as he came in again from down wind.  I had moved my stand a few hundred yards from where he caught me the week prior.  He was fighter, had busted off a couple of points that week, and was a down to a busted up 6 point.  That saved me the expense of a shoulder mount, and I got away with a "free" power-washer euro.

To have a better chance of getting them big bucks into crossbow range, I have wrapped the shiny silver cup on my Stanley cider thermos with black electric tape.  I also try to keep it behind my blind walls, so they dont catch the movement.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

The best way I think to keep warm while sitting on stand. Ware the lease amount of close walking to your stand. So, you don’t sweat.

Here’s what I ware: base layer, long sleeve shirt, insulated pants, insulated bibs, 4 in 1 gore tex parka with the liner not attached so I can take anything off if I want, I have an extra liner in my pack. I hate cold feet so my boot has 2400 grams of thinsolate heavy socks and toe warmers, gloves and a ski-mask. This for cold weather and for me that’s below 30 deg’s. I only ware base layer the shirt and pants to the stand. I always ware a hat because you lose the most heat out your head. You can always take off layers but can’t put on what you don’t have.

After years of suffering and spending a lot of money on heater products and layer systems, I tried the warm bag that my brother uses and I was sold.

My brother tried the heater body suit, but it was too big , bulky and noisy.

I walk out in my bow hunting clothes, get into the warm bag and I'm set for all day sitting, if needed.

Unless it's pouring rain, I'm not concerned one bit about going hunting anymore.

I even outlast my farmer cousins, who hunt till their spit bottles freeze to their hands.

The warm bag isn't available anymore and the only product that I could find that is comparable, is the IWOM system.

• Confused 1