Best cold weather gear for stand sitting

luberhill

6 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

Those of you that have and wear a heated vest, what brand do you have? I'm trying to talk Santa into getting me 1 and need to steer her in the right direction! Thanks

Ororo .

https://www.ororowear.com/products/open-box-men-heated-padded-vest?variant=19480190877783&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2018-08-06&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzsz-BRCCARIsANotFgPN90xwJbj1y87W37tdruQQOw0iRtMy17WbHFsSunSQ4aRVk4RPzNYaAiwlEALw_wcB

With  this mild hunting season so far it’s hard to say, but so far so, good, but the novelty hasn’t worn off yet  . I did buy four more as Christmas presents ( non hunters .) 

be careful prices tend to be all over, even on their site . This open box one is a good price , I paid like $129 

They tend to be a slim fit , I went XL

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 11:37 AM, Shoots100 said:

After years of suffering and spending a lot of money on heater products and layer systems, I tried the warm bag that my brother uses and I was sold.

My brother tried the heater body suit, but it was too big , bulky and noisy.

I walk out in my bow hunting clothes, get into the warm bag and I'm set for all day sitting, if needed.

Unless it's pouring rain, I'm not concerned one bit about going hunting anymore.

I even outlast my farmer cousins, who hunt till their spit bottles freeze to their hands.

The warm bag isn't available anymore and the only product that I could find that is comparable, is the IWOM system.

Is it like this?

https://heaterbodysuit.com/

I was pretty lucky. I got the Milwaukee heated sweat jacket and also the heated outer jacket. They have a 12 volt rechargeable battery. The sweat jacket with a hood is great for an under garment. It heats your chest. The outer jacket or regular jacket heats the front the back and the pockets for your hands. They both work great the down side is the battery size and location. It's on the back and if you use a backpack going hunting the waist belt is in the same place 

To answer the ops question, years ago I went through an issue that changed my tolerance for real cold. It made hunting in cold miserable. 
I bought a heated vest this year and so far used it in temps 23 degrees was the coldest. 
It makes the hours pass pretty easily. 
I got an Ororo after looking at dif types. I liked the small battery size but it’s not good for an all day sit. Never had it run out when I sat there on a morning or evening post and would just recharge at lunchtime. 
The vest has warmers by the hand/belly area. In the morn I commonly toast a bagel and throw it in my pocket. If I turn the vest on it actually warms my breakfast. Silly but nice.
There are heated areas across your back warming your shoulders/mid back and to me best of all the collar is heated. The back of my head where the spine meets typically gets real cold. That thing warms your neck fantastic. 
A buddy of mine tried it. He bought one for him and his son. My other buddy Joe bought it. He bought one for him and his son as well. His son friend has bought one as well. Two of the fellows in my Gun club tried it when I allowed the first friend to wear it. They’ve bought one each. My buddy Joe has since ordered the socks but here’s my observation on this, yours may be different, since your core area stays warm your extremities never seem to get cold. The other day was 23 and my gloves were off just stuffed in my pockets. I’m wearing reg muck boots instead of bulky boots and my feet have never gotten cold. 
I put my shirt, perhaps a thermal on than my vest. I keep it relatively near my body. Outer jacket during now is a carhardt type jacket that stops wind. During later archery it wasn’t as cold and I didn’t need the wind breaker. 
Regarding archery, another observation, it can be hard to shoot dressed like the Michelin man. Most times I was forced to put my jacket on as it would sit tied to my pack waiting to be needed if I didn’t make a note to put it on. I’d be dressed super light in comparison to previous years. Was real nice. 
Hope I covered enough to help you. The vest is a game changer. I’d def but another if I lost the first one. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 9:02 PM, Nomad said:

Ororo .

https://www.ororowear.com/products/open-box-men-heated-padded-vest?variant=19480190877783&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2018-08-06&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzsz-BRCCARIsANotFgPN90xwJbj1y87W37tdruQQOw0iRtMy17WbHFsSunSQ4aRVk4RPzNYaAiwlEALw_wcB

With  this mild hunting season so far it’s hard to say, but so far so, good, but the novelty hasn’t worn off yet  . I did buy four more as Christmas presents ( non hunters .) 

be careful prices tend to be all over, even on their site . This open box one is a good price , I paid like $129 

They tend to be a slim fit , I went XL

Hmmm I guess it was all over. I paid 100 bucks open box. Think my buddy’s paid about what you did. I bought mine late summer, perhaps that’s why 
Now regarding size I personally wore same exact size I always wear and it’s perfect. 

Edited by Foggy Mountain

On 12/12/2020 at 6:41 AM, GreeneHunter said:

I've been wearing insulated overalls , seems to work good and restricts the Ticks !

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Yes, this is what works best for me.  You can buy good insulated coveralls at a reasonable price and wear what you want underneath (buy a size large enough) depending on conditions.  These keep the wind out better than a jacket/pants combination.  Too warm for still hunting perhaps.  Prior to these I used to wear Woolrich outfits for gun season.

Tomorrow morning is going to be single digits.  Thinking :. Light base layer, heavy fleece base layer, heavy axis pants, fleece vest over insulation layer for the walk in, then throw on the ultra down for a brief morning sit.  Probably brush bust and wind bump the rest of the day if anyone else is hunting.  Sit in the blind at the end of the day if there's no action.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 9:27 PM, UpStateRedNeck said:

Is it like this?

https://heaterbodysuit.com/

Nope, the warm bag is the 20th century version of the German army field sleeping bag, that has zippered arm slots, but it's half the weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC-D2ntVkqM

The heater body suit is a big fluffy set of coveralls.

The only issue I have with my warm bag, is that I don't want to get out of it.

I was lucky enough to buy one before they went out of business.

I looked into the heated suits and vest's, but I don't want to depend on a battery for power.

18 minutes ago, Borngeechee said:

Windproof outer layers. You can have the warmest gear but if that wind starts to cut through it, it's over.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Today 30 mph plus winds across a snow covered field for four hours . I had on a $50 Cabellas coat from their bargin flyer , wind blocker, goretex . Under it I had a T shirt and mid weight sweat shirt ,warm as toast , never felt the wind . 

Never got cold in that coat . Definitely going to check out their bibs .

• Like 1

Check out the IWOM. It's like a hunting sleeping bag. Just bought one this season and as soon as the wife saw it she wanted one too. Kinda pricey but they sell size returns if you go directly to their website for a discount. Only used it twice during bow season and when the temps got up to maybe 35 I had to take it off because I was so warm. I sweat like a donkey so I strapped it to my backpack while walking to the stand. Wife wears it like a parka until we climb in to the tree. I like it a lot

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk