You guys seeing them in woods or fields ?

luberhill

Couple weeks ago I had lots of bucks and does on my camera...

nothing since... it’s in the woods about 100 Yards from the edge of an open field

im sitting in my blind which has been up for over a month not seeing anything

should I be on the open field ?

it’s a huge field , hay , about 50 acres

Love to help but I haven't seen a deer while sitting in a week.  That's the only issue with the rut you are either in it or not even close.  But you can get right back into the action within seconds.

Only advice if you know where two bedding areas are try setting up between them.  Might catch a buck cruising.

I don't think it's that defined as woods or fields.  During the rut might see them just about anywhere and in places you didn't plan to as they are searching for does. 

But as swamp said though anywhere between bedding and food where does are is a good bet.  This time of year I always like to be on well regularly traveled areas as bucks will often be cruising and just taking the easiest trails in front of them. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

I'm seeing the most activity in the thickest nastiest stuff.  It's been so dry in my area for a few months, that the swamp is about dry except in the middle. The deer are using it more than I've ever seen in the 30 yrs I've hunted it. 

I was in the fields most of the day and didn't see anything until the last 10 minutes of legal light.  It looked small, and was quite skittish. I assume it was a young doe.  

Tommorow, will be my last chance of the year with the crossbow.  I will put on my rain suit and head to truck cap blind for the afternoon.  I have not killed anything out of this one yet, but came close to a big tom Turkey this spring and a coyote last winter.  I have been waiting for the right weather conditions to deer hunt from it (high winds, cold, rain), and that's what we are getting tomorrow.

20201114_185152.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I don't think it's that defined as woods or fields.  During the rut might see them just about anywhere and in places you didn't plan to as they are searching for does. 

But as swamp said though anywhere between bedding and food where does are is a good bet.  This time of year I always like to be on well regularly traveled areas as bucks will often be cruising and just taking the easiest trails in front of them. 

X2!!!!!!!!

43 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I was in the fields most of the day and didn't see anything until the last 10 minutes of legal light.  It looked small, and was quite skittish. I assume it was a young doe.  

Tommorow, will be my last chance of the year with the crossbow.  I will put on my rain suit and head to truck cap blind for the afternoon.  I have not killed anything out of this one yet, but came close to a big tom Turkey this spring and a coyote last winter.  I have been waiting for the right weather conditions to deer hunt from it (high winds, cold, rain), and that's what we are getting tomorrow.

20201114_185152.jpg

That's one of the red-neckie-ish  blinds I ever saw, Wolc..!!  I highly approve and hope  you kill something from it tomorrow  !!..  Also love the 8N.....Been driving one ( actually my current is a 9N) for  about 60 years..Even managed to RUN OVER MYSELF with one about 1962, and my back is still telling me about it to this day..  Maybe that explains , in a small way, what is wrong with me...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

That's one of the red-neckie-ish  blinds I ever saw, Wolc..!!  I highly approve and hope  you kill something from it tomorrow  !!..  Also love the 8N.....Been driving one ( actually my current is a 9N) for  about 60 years..Even managed to RUN OVER MYSELF with one about 1962, and my back is still telling me about it to this day..  Maybe that explains , in a small way, what is wrong with me...

I am looking forward to hunting from it tommorow after church.  They are calling for west winds up to 65 mph.  It is well aligned for that.  I will open up both side sliding windows (face north and south), and the back door, which faces east, towards a good looking clover plot. 

Hopefully, a deer or two will brave those conditions, but I ought to be comfortable anyhow.  I have killed a few, from my other truck cap blinds, on days like that.

The 8n is a 1951.  I bought it from the widow of the original owner in 1990, and it only had 1200 hours on it.  He only used it to work up a 1/2 acre garden each year.  I have put that same number of hours on it, mostly putting in foodplots, over the last 30 years.  With 2400 hours, it is just getting broken in.

My favorite thing to do with it is plow, but it also works great on a 2-row corn planter and cultivator.  Most of the time, it has that little carryall on the back, which has hauled out lots of deer. The only things it sucks at, is bush hogging, and front loader.  I got another tractor for those jobs.

Edited by wolc123

13 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I am looking forward to hunting from it tommorow after church.  They are calling for west winds up to 65 mph.  It is well aligned for that.  I will open up both side sliding windows (face north and south), and the back door, which faces east, towards a good looking clover plot. 

Hopefully, a deer or two will brave those conditions, but I ought to be comfortable anyhow.  I have killed a few, from my other truck cap blinds, on days like that.

The 8n is a 1951.  I bought it from the widow of the original owner in 1990, and it only had 1200 hours on it.  He only used it to work up a 1/2 acre garden each year.  I have put that same number of hours on it, mostly putting in foodplots, over the last 30 years.  With 2400 hours, it is just getting broken in.

My favorite thing to do with it is plow, but it also works great on a 2-row corn planter and cultivator.  Most of the time, it has that little carryall on the back, which has hauled out lots of deer. The only things it sucks at, is bush hogging, and front loader.  I got another tractor for those jobs.

Those 8n’s are great tractors, that’s what I learned to drive on, pulling around a wagon at an apple orchard. 
I will say though, they can be really dangerous, too many people try to use them for things they weren’t made to do and end up rolling them over on top of themselves. Since they don’t have a ROPS, this can be fatal. Still, as long a you use them right and take care of them, they’ll last forever. 

Edited by Splitear

I have been hunting the woods. Yesterday was the 1st time I have seen a deer this season.It was at 605 am , just when you are able to make out shapes and see the trees.It came within 5 yds of my stand but I couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe.My guess was it's a buck being that it was alone and I was saying to myself why couldn't you wait another 30 mins when I could see better.I hunted all day and at 1155 am I turned my head to look down the logging road to my right just in time to catch a very large bodied deer crossing the logging road. Another second or 2 and I would have never seen it. Unfortunately I didn't get a good look at it's head.No doubt a buck cruising.I am on vacation until Nov 23rd and plan on hunting everyday all day. The weather forecast looks pretty good. Good luck everyone.

Heavy trails are not the place to hunt imo,usually made in spring and summer and early fall at night .  as cover dissappears deer tend to move further back into heavier thickets and will arrive at fields at last light unless the heavy thicket is directly attached to the field.. i get more deer by hearing them than by seeing them and many times the furthest shot is 35 yards or less.  Find a cover brake like brush and hardwoods ,or hardwoods and softwoods , or even a greater combination of 3 ir more cover types , find the downwind side of the cover and hunt it , you will hear many more deer coming and possibly see them for a shot ,than you will sitting on a field or in a open hardwoods.

19 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Heavy trails are not the place to hunt imo,usually made in spring and summer and early fall at night .  as cover dissappears deer tend to move further back into heavier thickets and will arrive at fields at last light unless the heavy thicket is directly attached to the field.. i get more deer by hearing them than by seeing them and many times the furthest shot is 35 yards or less.  Find a cover brake like brush and hardwoods ,or hardwoods and softwoods , or even a greater combination of 3 ir more cover types , find the downwind side of the cover and hunt it , you will hear many more deer coming and possibly see them for a shot ,than you will sitting on a field or in a open hardwoods.

I have one stand just inside the woods on a fence line , another at the opposite end on the same woods facing a wooded ridge with huge hay field to my back.

and my ground blind is set up in the woods about 150 yards from the edge in the small clearing amongst thick dense woods with a creek behind my blind about 100 yards

12 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

Take it to the streets, you gotta move. Find fresh sign, cover lots of land. Perfect time to wreck everyone else's ideas go abuse stateland. I cover miles, especially days when the weather or wind is questionable.

I like you’re strategy ; do you worry about moving , though , during rifle season , especially opening  weekend ?

Id be looking for a creek crossing and mast along ridge, hay fields are nice to see deer in summer but once they feel pressure they wont go ouy until they feel safe. ,  

A nice creek crossing with thick cover would be my main set.up, access into and out of stand site is very important, the more undetected you are the better. Even walking in and up the creek to the stand maybe best route. There seem to be a lot of properties boardering where you hunt,their pressure also comes into play.on stand location and deer movement

Seems like most the pics I see being killed are on the edge of fields .. the last few weeks anyway.

I also have a box blind on a 6 acre pc that faced a field and 120 acres of woods I do t own the woods but tend to see does in the field and bedding behind my blind in the thick buckthorn .

Don’t see bucks there as a rule ...

E9204AC7-14CD-4998-A7E5-664677DA2450.jpeg