Snapping a Cap

Splitear

I was taught to snap a percussion cap before loading for the first time to clear any moisture out of the barrel. I was thinking about this today in terms of hunting (it’s my first year hunting with a ML). I park at the landowners house, and I really don’t want to fire a cap in his driveway or in the field before I load for the morning hunt. I also don’t want to take a chance with a misfire due to wet powder. What is the general consensus on this practice?

Edited by Splitear

I do the same thing. My muzzleloader when I went to the range misfired two different times.  And I thought maybe since I cleaned it and then it sat muzzle up in the gun safe, that the residue oil and solvent might have slid down the barrel into the breach area. Dunno if that's what happened but I always fire one cap before going hunting ahead of time.  Haven't had a problem since. 

And I always have done it at the house.  I have a fenced in yard but close neighbors and I just stick the gun out the door and pop it off. It's about the noise of a .22. 

Maybe if you can do it at home or find a spot within the week before you use it to snap one off to be sure should prob do it. 

4 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I do the same thing. My muzzleloader when I went to the range misfired two different times.  And I thought maybe since I cleaned it and then it sat muzzle up in the gun safe, that the residue oil and solvent might have slid down the barrel into the breach area. Dunno if that's what happened but I always fire one cap before going hunting ahead of time.  Haven't had a problem since. 

And I always have done it at the house.  I have a fenced in yard but close neighbors and I just stick the gun out the door and pop it off. It's about the noise of a .22. 

Maybe if you can do it at home or find a spot within the week before you use it to snap one off to be sure should prob do it. 

Yeah I popped off a primer once early morning before I left the house, sounded like a .22...LOL didn’t do that again.  Wonder how many neighbors I woke up?

5 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

Yeah I popped off a primer once early morning before I left the house, sounded like a .22...LOL didn’t do that again.  Wonder how many neighbors I woke up?

Yeah I wouldn't do it early morn. Lol. 

I did the last one in my hunting gear shed so it wasn't too bad.  On my lunch during the week. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

I go out in my garage, put my earplugs in and snap a couple of caps, making double sure, of course that there is not a charge in the barrel ( I check with my ramrod) and pointing it in a safe direction just in case..

I then charge the rifle and seat the projectile...A muzzleloader is considered unloaded unless it is capped or primed, so there is no problem transporting it in your vehicle to your hunting spot..

• Like 1

I have never done it. Never had an issue. Always just seemed like your fouling the barrel for no reason. I got no moisture in a fresh gun. Once loaded I electric tape the barrel and may go a week before I may pull the load and reload. I’m beginning to think that’s a waste too as I save the pulled pellets for practice and every one over the years has fired fine lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back when I hunted with a side-lock, I used to do it, but never with an in-line.  I have never had one of those mis fire or hang fire. With my T/C Omega, it is real easy to just roll down the hammer assembly, point the muzzle towards a light, and see clearly that the breech plug is clear.  Absolutely no reason to ever waste a primer.

When I snap a cap on my T/C Hawken, I put a small piece of cloth in the muzzle first.  If it blows out when the cap snaps, it's all clear.  If the cap snaps and it doesn't blow out, there's something blocking the cap and a misfire will happen if it's loaded without clearing it.

• Like 1

Absolutely without fail. It isnt just for moisture, it is to be sure no solvent/oil is there. The night before this years NT muzzleloader season when I popped a cap, it didnt sound right. popped a 2nd, same. I pulled the breech plug to find the flash channel totally blocked. I had shot this several weeks before and very thoroughly cleaned it. At the end I always blow compressed air through the breech plug, reassemble and run a patch of hoppes down the bore, as i have for....well, about 4o years. 

The flash channel was solid with residue. I had a hell of a time working a straitened piece of clicker pen spring into that hole and wiggling it back and forth...about two hours worth ! Eventually I got it cleared though. No matter what type of propellent you use, there is still plenty of residue. Just preplan for your outing and pop your caps. Once I pop them, I run a dry patch down the bore to get the residue and load. That is my sight in routine too. You can leave your ML loaded as long as you dont have a cap on it.

• Like 1