Meat grinder

biggamefish

I have tge kitchen aid meat grinder attachment. Works well but I almost burned it out last year. Looking to upgrade to something that's just a grinder. What have you guys had success with?

Check out the app grinder it gives reviews on them
All.... also Lem products are good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

I have tge kitchen aid meat grinder attachment. Works well but I almost burned it out last year. Looking to upgrade to something that's just a grinder. What have you guys had success with?

I have one of those too and after quite a few deer I think it's getting tired .  I like it cause I also have the sausage stuffer attachment for it.  But might have to look for another soon. 

Look on CL or market place for a older commercial grinder.  Some guy think there stuff is gold, but you can find a decent #22 sized unit for a few hundred.  Only downfall, there heavy. 

I've got 2 #22's. One Stimpson from the '50s and a globe from the 70s.  Both work great. Both have processed 1000's pounds of meat, and parts are available.  

I burnt out a brand new kitchen aid mixer the first time I used it.  

Edited by mowin

I bought a bps grinder its made by lem.  It takes lem blades . It's probably 10 years old . It works well . I have been thinking about buying a lem upgrade. Up 2 sizes. I have done 15 or 20 deer  and 10 pigs alot of beef. Dont need bigger but it would be nice to do more in less time . The big bite models with the chill feature  would be cool for making  sausage .

This is what I use.  It has got to be almost 100 years old.  My great grandfather made it from parts, back in the 1920's. He and and my grandfather raised hogs and cattle and likely put hundreds of those thru it , up until 1981.

That was the year my grandad passed away and we got rid of the livestock. The year prior, the old farmhouse burned and this old grinder was in the cellar.  It was submerged in water a week or so, until we pumped out the water, and fished it out, along with a bunch of other half burned up stuff.

It sat out in a barn a few years, until our local burcher was not able to cut a deer up for me one year while I was in high school.  The motor was seized up from rust, but I found another off an old table saw, or something my dad had.  

I struggled thru a dozen or so deer with it, but it would plug up often and was a chore to use.  Around 1990, I ordered a new screen and knife for it from Bass Pro shops.  Since then, I have put close to a hundred deer thru it, and it will still take the meat as fast as I can drop it in.

I put the switch on it last year, and a new belt about 10 years ago.  I am afraid to look inside that gear reduction contraption on the right.  I always make sure to take the grinder section apart and clean it good after grinding a deer.

We still have about a deer and a half left in the freezer, but I am looking forward to putting 3 or so more deer thru this old grinder this year.  They dont build them like they use to, and I am certain that  this old sucker will turn when I plug it in and throw the switch.

20201115_083409.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, biggamefish said:

We upgraded to the kitchen aid commercial grade edition grinder with the bigger motor and have never had a issue we use to use the regular one also but it got hot after a while ...the down side to upgrading was the commercial grade is over 700$

Edited by silent death

I have a 1/2 hp grinder from gander mtn. my wife gave me for xmas. It works pretty good but i will say that if you can afford it go with the 3/4 hp from Cabellas that lawd mentioned. It is much better. I've done probably 2-3 deer a year for 5+ years with no problem, you just have to partially freeze the chunks b4 you grind them and that takes some extra time. Mine does have the sausage stuffer attachments but I don't  use them much as I find it difficult to manage by myself. I use my jerky shooter with different tips for stuffing sausage. Takes longer but it's easier to control. imho.

11 hours ago, wolc123 said:

This is what I use.  It has got to be almost 100 years old.  My great grandfather made it from parts, back in the 1920's. He and and my grandfather raised hogs and cattle and likely put hundreds of those thru it , up until 1981.

That was the year my grandad passed away and we got rid of the livestock. The year prior, the old farmhouse burned and this old grinder was in the cellar.  It was submerged in water a week or so, until we pumped out the water, and fished it out, along with a bunch of other half burned up stuff.

It sat out in a barn a few years, until our local burcher was not able to cut a deer up for me one year while I was in high school.  The motor was seized up from rust, but I found another off an old table saw, or something my dad had.  

I struggled thru a dozen or so deer with it, but it would plug up often and was a chore to use.  Around 1990, I ordered a new screen and knife for it from Bass Pro shops.  Since then, I have put close to a hundred deer thru it, and it will still take the meat as fast as I can drop it in.

I put the switch on it last year, and a new belt about 10 years ago.  I am afraid to look inside that gear reduction contraption on the right.  I always make sure to take the grinder section apart and clean it good after grinding a deer.

We still have about a deer and a half left in the freezer, but I am looking forward to putting 3 or so more deer thru this old grinder this year.  They dont build them like they use to, and I am certain that  this old sucker will turn when I plug it in and throw the switch.

20201115_083409.jpg

That's an awesome machine right there. Not knocking you but for the love of all things holy please put a guard over that drive shaft! A simple piece of tin would suffice. You're probably the only one that operates it but still, that's got bad news written all over it.

Is that grinder a #32 size? Those things are massive!

25 minutes ago, Enigma said:

That's an awesome machine right there. Not knocking you but for the love of all things holy please put a guard over that drive shaft! A simple piece of tin would suffice. You're probably the only one that operates it but still, that's got bad news written all over it.

Is that grinder a #32 size? Those things are massive!

The speed of that shaft is slow enough, that it really don't need a guard.  It turns at about the same speed that one could turn a crank by hand. Also, I always sit in front to run it, so my hands never get close to the shaft. 

The only trouble I ever have with it, is that sometimes the set screw that holds the shaft coupling to the grinder feed  screw loosens up.  That's why I drilled a hole in the upper wood frame, to keep an Allen wrench handy.  You can see that in the photo. 

That was the also the main reason that I added the switch.  When the screw loosens up, I no longer have to get off my chair and pull the plug put out of the wall socket.

It could be a #32.  It is cool that they still make knives and screens for it. It surely beats the heck out of a hand grinder.  I helped a friend grind a small doe with one of those once, and it sure was a workout.