Using my Climber for the first time

Hey Guys , so , I’ve been doing ALOT of scouting for the past month, tryin to get set for opening day ( this Saturday !! Can’t wait !!!) , and , have come up with a few good spots to try . One of them is my super set spot in which I have already put in a good n Sturdy ladder stand , and , I have a few other spots with pins marked to potentially, set up my climber . Thing is , I’ve never actually used my climber I a hunting situation so I’m a bit apprehensive about using it for the first time ever for a morning hunt where I have to do the setup In The dark . I think it would be more prudent to do a few Midday/ afternoon Hunts w it first where I setup in daylight to make sure it’s done properly ; then, with time , so ahead and use it for an early morning hunt . 

What do you think? 

Thanks 

• Confused 1

Go practice out in the yard a few times.  Don’t fumble around in the dark for the first time.  Get your hoist ropes set, make sure all the little things are set up how you like it before you carry it in.  Make sure it’s comfortable to “backpack”. Do you have a tree strap and safety harness?  The strap will need to be shimmied up the tree as you go up.  Q-Safe is the best for that IMO.  Do you have a small gear bag attached for small stuff?  Is the seat set the way you want to sit for hours?   

I would agree with everyone and your first instinct. A morning sit, setting up in the dark for the first time is not a good idea. I do find now that I can navigate my climber in the dark but everything is set to how I like it...that takes time and practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, rob-c said:

So you haven’t practiced with it at all ? Why not take a few minutes during this week  and practice  with it a few times so you’ll be ready for a morning hunt. 

Yes , Ive practiced 3times now , including today . I incorporated the safety harness / lifeline in to my climb today and setup fairly well now . Still , I’m a little worried cuz I’ve never done it in full hunting regalia along with gun. Not only that , some of The vets in my club have recommended I carry a ratchet strap in too and attach that after getting up to my set height for additional support / security so I wanna do that in daylight at least once prior to doing in the early am dark 

9 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

Go practice out in the yard a few times.  Don’t fumble around in the dark for the first time.  Get your hoist ropes set, make sure all the little things are set up how you like it before you carry it in.  Make sure it’s comfortable to “backpack”. Do you have a tree strap and safety harness?  The strap will need to be shimmied up the tree as you go up.  Q-Safe is the best for that IMO.  Do you have a small gear bag attached for small stuff?  Is the seat set the way you want to sit for hours?   

What do you mean the seat set ? How do you adjust that ? Yes , I do have the gear bag , Strap and safety harness and practiced today with . The back packing part seems ok as I wear it kinda high but I’m wondering if I should shove the cables in all the way cuz I’m worried they’ll drag branches as I’m hiking in 

43 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Yes , Ive practiced 3times now , including today . I incorporated the safety harness / lifeline in to my climb today and setup fairly well now . Still , I’m a little worried cuz I’ve never done it in full hunting regalia along with gun. Not only that , some of The vets in my club have recommended I carry a ratchet strap in too and attach that after getting up to my set height for additional support / security so I wanna do that in daylight at least once prior to doing in the early am dark 

Ok good, give yourself a extra 45 mins then so you don’t have to rush to set  it up in the morning . Yes push your  cable’s all the way in, do you have a good headlamp? If not get one you’ll need both hand’s free  and check out http://www.thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=13 his stabilizer straps are worth ten times what he wants, they lock your top and bottom sections together  and it’s rock solid. Also I like to lower my seat all the way down for gun so I can rest my forearm on the top rail to shoot and raise it all the way up for bow so I don’t have to stand up as much  and clear my lower cam. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

What do you mean the seat set ? How do you adjust that ? Yes , I do have the gear bag , Strap and safety harness and practiced today with . The back packing part seems ok as I wear it kinda high but I’m wondering if I should shove the cables in all the way cuz I’m worried they’ll drag branches as I’m hiking in 

The seat on my summit can adjust up and down independent of the upper frame.  I pack mine kind of high as well, and yes I insert the cables all the way on both sides.

31 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Ok good, give yourself a extra 45 mins then so you don’t have to rush to set  it up in the morning . Yes push your  cable’s all the way in, do you have a good headlamp? If not get one you’ll need both hand’s free  and check out http://www.thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=13 his stabilizer straps are worth ten times what he wants, they lock your top and bottom sections together  and it’s rock solid.

Really , awesome , thank you Sir :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

The seat on my summit can adjust up and down independent of the upper frame.  I pack mine kind of high as well, and yes I insert the cables all the way on both sides.

Ok  , yes , I’m gonna do that too to make sure they don’t drag on grass and branches walking  in . I don’t think my seat adjusts but when I set it , it feels ok so I’m gonna leave it alone for now .Also,  How do you pack your ancillary supplies in ? I think my normal back pack will be too cumbersome with the climber so I bought one of those little girly fanny packs for snacks , tree strap  and Ratchet 

If you have a good ladder stand in a good spot, I would lean heavily towards using that on opening day, as long as you get a favorable wind.  Use the climber as "plan b", if the wind is not right for the ladder.

Since more than half of the deer harvest each year usually occurs on opening day of gun season, it pays off to minimize things that could go wrong on that day. Lack of experience with the climber leaves more room for errors.

I only used a climber on one opening day and I made a big mistake.  I lost my bearings in the dark, in some mature hatdwoods, while walking to my spot.  I stopped to check my compass, leaning my gun against a tree.  I corrected course, and headed off in the right direction.

The problem was, when I got to my spot, I realized that my gun was still back in the woods.  Somehow, I was able to backtrack and find it, but I lost lots of time, and ended up getting setup later than I would have preferred.

I have always used archery season, mainly as scouting to pick the right spot for opening day of gun season. It almost worked out for me this year, up in the Northern zone, but I was not fast enough on the draw with a big Adirondack buck.

The good news is, I still have my buck tag and I know exactly what tree I will be up for opening day morning in the Southern zone next Saturday.  It also  don't hurt that I have scored from it on the last two consecutive SZ gun openers.  Wind direction ain't that important on morning hunts, from up tree on flat lands, because the thermals will carry your scent up and away.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Ok  , yes , I’m gonna do that too to make sure they don’t drag on grass and branches walking  in . I don’t think my seat adjusts but when I set it , it feels ok so I’m gonna leave it alone for now .Also,  How do you pack your ancillary supplies in ? I think my normal back pack will be too cumbersome with the climber so I bought one of those little girly fanny packs for snacks , tree strap  and Ratchet 

Fanny packs are COOL!!!
If it doesn’t fit in there it doesn’t come with me

16 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

I have a small gear pouch(repurposed Fanny pack)attached to the upper section on the right hand side.  Two zipper pouches, the small one holds the hoist rope I use to pull up my implement.  The larger pocket I pack my knife, calls and basics.  No additional back pack or waist pack.  I try to pack light to keep the weight down.  If I need to hoof it back to the truck after a shot, I will.

Edited by loworange88

48 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

I have a small gear pouch(repurposed Fanny pack)attached to the upper section on the right hand side.  Two zipper pouches, the small one holds the hoist rope I use to pull up my implement.  The larger pocket I pack my knife, calls and basics.  No additional back pack or waist pack.  I try to pack light to keep the weight down.  If I need to hoof it back to the truck after a shot, I will.

Yes , I forgot about the hoist rope , great advice !!

• Like 1

The only thing that I would add is a little tip. Carry a screw-in step to put under your seat cable for added insurance. And a screw-in pack holding hook to hold your gear bag. I used to love climbers and had a lot of success using them. You get to customize your setup to fit the tree as you like. Just avoid Shagbark Hickory. Very noisy to get a climber into and the plated bark makes it very hard for the cable to grip. Enjoy and good luck.

• Like 1

The only thing that I would add is a little tip. Carry a screw-in step to put under your seat cable for added insurance. And a screw-in pack holding hook to hold your gear bag. I used to love climbers and had a lot of success using them. You get to customize your setup to fit the tree as you like. Just avoid Shagbark Hickory. Very noisy to get a climber into and the plated bark makes it very hard for the cable to grip. Enjoy and good luck.

I just climbed that type of tree on Saturday as it was my only option for the runs I wanted to cover. THE WORST!
That’s another benefit of the Fanny pack- I just clip it around the trees. I eliminated any screw in hooks with a bow holder fastened to the lower platform (usually just have the bow laying on the top rail) and I snake my quiver between the cables. Calls and range finder gets looped around the top rail and even my tow rope is permanently affixed to the top rail(stored on the v when in transport. Again- These modifications work for me and took a while to get comfortable with