Do you guys spray down every time before going in

luberhill

I get dressed at home, and seldom spray anything on myself other than some pee if I don’t watch the wind . I’ve got an orange bottle of the stuff ,but seldom use it , I used it this year ,when an old seat cushion became smelly I sprayed it , again when the arm pits of  my favorite base layer stunk, it sprayed those .

Heres my buck killing system . I sit a lot and eventually a buck I want to kill will walk by .

Hard to put that in a bottle and make money though .

I fool them by smelling like a house cat .....

699ED92A-F703-47A3-ACEE-486998621E3F.png

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 3

i have an ozone bag i use in between hunts and then wash clothes every week in scent free.  I hang them outside in a shed when not in use so house smells dont get on them.  I have spray i keep in the truck and will use as needed.  But I use the spray on a lot of things i dont or cant wash, boots, hats, pack etc.   Do i know if it works?  Nope .  But for one bottle or two a season wortha  shot.  Like Hock3y24 said pick stand based on wind is prob most important. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

I keep my hunting clothes airing outside until I put them on to walk to my stands, avoid stinky stuff and try to minimize my exposure to smelly contaminents. Otherwise I hunt the wind and absolutely know that I spook deer downwind. I dont have any faith in scent killing sprays or covers or scentproof clothes. they have all been pretty well debunked anyway. Hunt the wind, stay off the ground and be still. 

• Like 2

I never bothered with the scent free detergent but bought a bottle this year and will wash hunting clothes w that. Also , although I don’t know how much it helps ( it may ) , I spray down my clothes , coat , hat , gloves , etc with scent free . The way I figure it , it can’t hurt even if it doesn’t help !! I think the biggest thing is scent control while you’re in stand , actually . I try not to eat too much night before so I don’t have to take a dump while sitting , or fart incessantly ( lol , not tryin to be disgusting , just part of reality !) while there . Also , no coffee in the am and fresh breath and teeth ( read somewhere they smell you’re breath more than anything ). Also , watch what you bring in to snack on during your sit . No chips !! Too noisy . Jerky ? I do bring that cuz it’s great energy for a full day sit but can they smell it ? 

If I go to the Mobil in East Berne to get a coffee and a breakfast sandwich, I may spray the bottom of my boots before heading back in? If I remember.

Been a lot of times when I had to put down my smoke before shooting a deer though. Then calmly pick it back up after the shot and grin.

• Like 5

Nope. I used to be very careful about "scent control" Not so much anymore.  I wash in scent free detergent, that's about it, only because I don't think adding "April fresh" perfume helps any.  I get dressed at home, but I put on my boots when I arrive at the property. That's more for driving comfort than anything else, its hard to drive in size 14 insulated rubber boots!  I am not busted any more often now then when I was religious about the scent control routine - maybe even less because I now pay more attention to the wind and my entry to the stand.

• Like 2

Where I am deer can come from 360 degrees so there is always a direction that I can get busted. I wake up have coffee and take a shower w scent free soap. Keep all my clothes in a scent tote with dirt wafers in it after washing them in fresh earth scent detergent. I get dressed at home then I spray dirt cover scent all over before walking into woods. I rarely get winded. I am usually busted for movement or noise when it happens. It also helps that Long Island deer are very used to the way people smell, not like big upstate woods where they never encounter many people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

much of hunting, weather we want to admit it or not is where we hunt. Hunting low pressured high populations areas will not require the same attention to detail as other areas. 

Ultimately, i think most of us subscribe to the idea that if we can do anything to increase our odds, within reason we'll do it. I wear 2 layers of scentlock. It's been proven to be less than effective, yet still does reduce odors to some degree, so I'll take it. I also use an ozone generator on my gear at home and in the truck. If it helps, I'm for it.

Pre-season I'll wash all my hunting layers in scent free wash. then I'll them outside for a week or more. During the season I store and transport them in a tub full of corn or oak branches. I'll dress and undress at the car before or after the hunt. If needed, I'll repeat the cycle during the season. Not sure if it helps, but doesn't take much effort and certainly won't hurt anything. I don't bother with sprays. They definitely have a smell to them and I don't know if it's natural or not, so I avoid them. The only thing I actually apply each time before walking in is EverCalm on the soles and bottom few inches of my boots.

Not usually. I don't usually put my outer layers on at home though. I put them on once I get where I'm going 98% of the time.

I prefer to keep the wind in my favor. That doesn't always work though. I had a great wind almost dead in my face sitting in a new brush blind I made the day before. I hear blowing and turn to see two does trotting off away from me. They came in from my back, I played the wind, but the deer played me.