Do you guys spray down every time before going in

luberhill

I use scent free detergent at beginning of the season then I spray them with scent free spray to start.  I then keep my hunting clothes in a bin with ozone and turn it on most times after I hunt. I leave it in my garage and hunt out my back door.

I don’t typically spray down with scent free spray before each hunt though I will use cover and lure scents of different types through out the season.  

But many have said it play the wind first best you can then hope like hell all the other BS scent free stuff works. The deer I hunt smell me year round so think being where they can’t wind you helps.  BTW I think deer have other senses to help them navigate danger I often wonder if they sense when you’re mad or anxious or excited...like your dog does....well some do...IDK?  
I guess keep your head on a swivel and be a good shot and you can probably smell and be a successful deer hunter 

I shower with scent-free soap/shampoo, and use scent-free deodorant.  I use a "scent-factor" jacket.  I wipe a little evercalm on by rubber boot soles, a couple hundred yards from my stand, and a bit more on it when I get there.  I try to play the wind.  If it is cold, I sip on hot cider, while I am in the stand.

Edited by wolc123

8 hours ago, FullDraw_9x said:

I use spray sometimes but I think wearing rubber boots to cover ground scent is the best form of scent control. Wind is always swirling so hunting the wind is difficult.

Alot of times ground scent is disturbance, not actual human smell. Thermals and wind rule the game. Your breath is a large portion of your scent, I can only tell you guys how to do that... ill pass on the not breathing gig.

5 hours ago, Belo said:

much of hunting, weather we want to admit it or not is where we hunt. Hunting low pressured high populations areas will not require the same attention to detail as other areas. 

Ultimately, i think most of us subscribe to the idea that if we can do anything to increase our odds, within reason we'll do it. I wear 2 layers of scentlock. It's been proven to be less than effective, yet still does reduce odors to some degree, so I'll take it. I also use an ozone generator on my gear at home and in the truck. If it helps, I'm for it.

(whether ) 

right place ,right time, right wind , then it is just a matter of taking a good shot my 2 cents anyway .  The air you exhale  is giving off smell unless you are in spacesuit  they can smell you , and even then they can probably  smell the spacesuit  .

Edited by phantom

#1 I always play the wind. Trying to reduce human odor is a major under taking, but after seeing and hearing guys like John Eberhart explain it, I try harder to reduce odors.  The next thing I'd like to add is a air tight cloths locker with ozone, so I can hang my backpack and safety harness up, set boots out and have odors removed.  My hunting day starts with brushing teeth with baking soda, shower in scent free,  towel and all cloths have been washed in scent free.  Sprayed down rubber boots and full scentlok base layers and outer layers, which includes gloves, head gear, mask to catch exhaled breath.  From what I can see, deer still smell me, but can't quite figure it out. I think once I use the ozone locker and rid my backpack and harness odors it will be better yet. We'll see.  Sure, I could put on Old spice and smoke a stogie and get deer, but I'm confident I'll see more deer if I try to reduce odors as much as possible.

1 minute ago, genesee_mohican said:

#1 I always play the wind. Trying to reduce human odor is a major under taking, but after seeing and hearing guys like John Eberhart explain it, I try harder to reduce odors.  The next thing I'd like to add is a air tight cloths locker with ozone, so I can hang my backpack and safety harness up, set boots out and have odors removed.  My hunting day starts with brushing teeth with baking soda, shower in scent free,  towel and all cloths have been washed in scent free.  Sprayed down rubber boots and full scentlok base layers and outer layers, which includes gloves, head gear, mask to catch exhaled breath.  From what I can see, deer still smell me, but can't quite figure it out. I think once I use the ozone locker and rid my backpack and harness odors it will be better yet. We'll see.  Sure, I could put on Old spice and smoke a stogie and get deer, but I'm confident I'll see more deer if I try to reduce odors as much as possible.

they can smell your breath 

17 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

They can smell it a lot less when I'm breathing through two layers of scentlok carbon which covers my head, except my eyes.

could help a little  anyway defiantly not  going to hurt .clothes them self's  they can smell  their  like  a dog with their  sense of smell  hard to trick 

Edited by phantom

Wow. A lot of you go way farther than I do. I usually wear the same clothes that I wear all week at work. Most time before I go sit I just fixed some sort of farm equipment that we need now to finish up a harvest. So I'll be covered in grease oil antifreeze what ever and I see plenty of deer. Not saying I wouldn't see more if I didn't smell like that but I don't know that its going to make a big difference in where I hunt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 hours ago, coonhunter said:

I wash my clothes in baking soda and keep them in a garbage bag with another box of baking soda. I do use a spray on my boots and hat if it isn't froze solid in my car. I try to use height and a prevailing wind direction to my advantage because I always have coffee and food when in stand.

Baking soda  , huh . I like that ; how long you been using that anti scent remedy ? 

37 minutes ago, coonhuntredbones said:

Wow. A lot of you go way farther than I do. I usually wear the same clothes that I wear all week at work. Most time before I go sit I just fixed some sort of farm equipment that we need now to finish up a harvest. So I'll be covered in grease oil antifreeze what ever and I see plenty of deer. Not saying I wouldn't see more if I didn't smell like that but I don't know that its going to make a big difference in where I hunt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There you go , so why are we going they all this scent elimination bullshit in the first place lol . Maybe the deer on his property are accustomed to those smells so it doesn’t alarm them ? 

To add to my earlier comment...I do try to wear rubber boots that are left at my camp strictly for hunting in. I always make sure my truck is fueled up the day before. I will use some doe P (not estrus) which is not seasonal, but just sprayed on my boots a bit. I have had deer walk right up the trail on my tracks and not been concerned.

I just play the wind and hunt from 25' -30' up when bow hunting. 

30 years ago, I had a firewood business and cut and split wood all day. I was not near as knowledgeable of a hunter back then.  I would put my saw down and grab my hoodie off the woodpile and go hunting. Pretty sure they liked that smell. I rarely got busted.  Not sure if it was the gas, oil, sweat, or woodchips? Maybe the perfect ratio could get bottled..lol

Edited by ncountry
  • Like 1

sigh

just because you see deer stinking like a goat doesn't mean it doesn't help to not stink like a goat.

Yes guys kill deer every year without paying attention to scent control. Yes some guys even kill slammers like this. Yes sometimes it's a bow hunter, but honestly If you look at guys that hunt high pressured areas and consistently kill mature deer with a bow, I doubt many if any will tell you that they don't practice some level of scent control.

Go ahead and hunt how you want, but shooting a 1.5 year old buck at 200 yards with a rifle smelling like irish spring doesn't mean it's a best practice for bow hunting or for increasing your odds at a trophy buck. Finally, if cost is a concern, any of the tide free and clear or baking soda methods are pretty cost effective and one bar or all-in-one bodywash/shampoo will last a season or 2. So for maybe less than $20 a year you can do a lot without even getting into scentlok and ozone. 

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

sigh

just because you see deer stinking like a goat doesn't mean it doesn't help to not stink like a goat.

Yes guys kill deer every year without paying attention to scent control. Yes some guys even kill slammers like this. Yes sometimes it's a bow hunter, but honestly If you look at guys that hunt high pressured areas and consistently kill mature deer with a bow, I doubt many if any will tell you that they don't practice some level of scent control.

Go ahead and hunt how you want, but shooting a 1.5 year old buck at 200 yards with a rifle smelling like irish spring doesn't mean it's a best practice for bow hunting or for increasing your odds at a trophy buck. Finally, if cost is a concern, any of the tide free and clear or baking soda methods are pretty cost effective and one bar or all-in-one bodywash/shampoo will last a season or 2. So for maybe less than $20 a year you can do a lot without even getting into scentlok and ozone. 

I think the point being made by a few (myself included). Is that realistically, there is nothing we can do to totally become scent free, where a deer down wind will not smell us. Proven fact. So the best way to hunt is to play the wind as much as possible. Of course, it does not make it worse, to use some type of scent control. But any deer, especially a mature buck down wind, will bust you more often than not, no matter what you do.... or don't do.  Especially us ground hunters. And throw in changing wind directions and thermals, it does get a bit tricky at times, but that is hunting. I'm convinced that we never see some of the deer that scent us. Regardless of how much we do to prevent that from happening.

I also believe that most successful hunters need to have a certain degree of confidence. And if using any type of scent control, gives the hunter a little added confidence, then that is never a bad thing, or a waste of time. Do whatever works best for YOU the hunter! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, grampy said:

I think the point being made by a few (myself included). Is that realistically, there is nothing we can do to totally become scent free, where a deer down wind will not smell us. Proven fact. So the best way to hunt is to play the wind as much as possible. Of course, it does not make it worse, to use some type of scent control. But any deer, especially a mature buck down wind, will bust you more often than not, no matter what you do.... or don't do.  Especially us ground hunters. And throw in changing wind directions and thermals, it does get a bit tricky at times, but that is hunting. I'm convinced that we never see some of the deer that scent us. Regardless of how much we do to prevent that from happening.

I also believe that most successful hunters need to have a certain degree of confidence. And if using any type of scent control, gives the hunter a little added confidence, then that is never a bad thing, or a waste of time. Do whatever works best for YOU the hunter! 

spot on. Playing the wind can be tricky as we've all had plenty of deer not do what they should be doing haha, so that's why I try to increase my odds even if i'll never get 100% scent free (which I agree with you is basically impossible) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Belo said:

sigh

body wash  Irish  

Have there been any  scientific peer review papers that say any of that works?   because  Whitetail Deer have up to 297 million olfactory receptors compared to humans with just 5 million and dogs with 220 million. Whitetail deer's sense of smell is nearly 1/3 greater than that of a canine or dog.  they can even be trained to smell a virus like covid19 . The company's that make and  market that stuff would put that in their advertising  if there  was a  positive  peer reviewed study of deer sent blocker products .

I hang my stuff outside a week before seasons start. Different clothes for different seasons. I don't use any sprays except sawyers in early bow because of ticks. Most my hunting is on the ground on different lands with different amount of pressure. 

Sometimes I sit, and sometimes I still hunt. When still hunting I pay more attention to my path for visibility then the wind to be honest.  I try to stay inside the cover and stop by trees.

When sitting I always kick the dirt and leaves around to stir up the natural smells before sitting whether in a stand or on the ground. I don't know if it helps but I think it does. And after I kill a deer I find having their scent on my clothes makes sightings more frequent.